SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion Aspheric

dwc

I have a 31mm version of this, and am a little surprised that it won't take standard Baader 2" filters. I know the filters are fine because they fit my other Hyperion lenses. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm told by the distributors that they should fit fine. There does seem to be a thread, but nothing like a standard thread. The supplied 1.25" nose takes 1.25" filters. Unfortunately it's outside warranty (never tried a filter until recently) and the retailer is out of business.

My 31mm has no problem to thread 2" Baader M&S Neodymium filter, nor with other 2" Astronomik filters either.

What do you mean "nothing like a standard thread"? Do you see any crossed thread there?

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a closer look, and also showed it to an engineer friend. What we see is that there is a proper thread present, however the very top ring looks to be blocked for about 1cm. He couldn't tell if it had been stripped, or just not fully cut in the first place. The rest of the thread looks fine. I'll have to look into getting a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone has a similar issue, the Baader Zoom Upgrade Kit (converts a 1.25 zoom to a 2" zoom) is a perfect replacement for the Aspheric nosepiece. Supplied by FLO (who else!).

• 3 weeks later...

Another good idea is to thread on an empty 2" filter cell to the bottom of your EP and then thread the filter to that.

Or, if you have any empty 2" filter cells, remove the existing one and put it in the other empty cell. I have done both myself with good results.

I hope it works out for you!

Cheers! : :)

Archived