SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modern Astronomy

Demonperformer

Just a quick note praising the service from Bern at Modern Astronomy.

I purchased a TS OAG from Bern last year and like others I found the screws used to lock the prism turret were tricky to get tight on the turret.

Whilst at AstroFest I had a word with Bern who said he could sort me with some of the fabled "solder tipped" screws as he had some. I had actualy been trying to work out where to source some of these, so I jumped at the chance. I dropped Bern an email after AstroFest and received the screws this morning...free of charge of course..

Thanks Bern:headbang:

Interesting to see that TS have modified the design of the OAG now...looks like some of the design issues have now been sorted.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a couple of dew-not straps. Bern emailed me the same day to let me know my card had been declined (thought HSBC had been conspiring with my wife :headbang:.

Anyway I rang Bern the next day to give him the right expiry date :D and my items arrived the next morning.

Anyway, In short - great communications, and great service.

Oh... and the dew-not straps are great too.

Many Thanks

I don't often post comments on suppliers on the forum as most have thier good and bad points. But in this instance I will break the rule.

Bern @ Modern Astronomy is by far the best supplier of any equipment I have had the pleasure to deal with.

Last night I realised that my CCD to Filter wheel adapter had eventually stripped it's threads with the amount of times I had removed and attached the filter wheel, other adapters etc over the last 2 years. Totally nromal (or abnormaly in my case) wear and tear and messing around in the dark all the time.

A quick email and another adapter is in the post for me, emails answered out of hours and brilliant service.

A similar thing happened a few months ago with a cable that was causing a problem, next day in the post and on its way to me again all late night emails.

Superb service and certainly something that all businesses large and small in all sectors should strive to follow.

So a huge public thank you to Modern Astronomy and a serious recommendation by me to everyone thinking of buying from them.

/Cat has no association to Modern Astronomy and has not even met Bern in person yet. But when he does he will be buying him a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick review of my experience with Bernard @ Modern Astronomy.

The guy is a legend. Had everything in stock, i placed my order at 1pm and had an email @ 5pm saying it had been dispatched! :(

Superb supplier and will be using more in the future

Ordered a HA filter from Modern Astronomy yesterday at 11:45. Postie delivered it at 10-30 today. Less that 24Hrs from hitting the buy button to having the goods in my hand.

Many thanks to Bernard for such a quick turnaround.:(:icon_salut::(

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick review of the great service I recieved from Bernard at Modern Astronomy...

I originally ordered a QHY5 but after having a problem with the driver I decided to send it back and get a Lodestar as it is more sensitive and as I am going to be using it with an OAG I thought it best (in hindsight) to get the most sensitive guide cam I could. Anyway, after discussing things with Bern (Both on the phone and by Email) he sorted everything out for me and I am now the owner of a lovely Lodestar guide cam.

Bern always seems to answer emails promptly and whenever I have called I always manage to get hold of him - he is very kowledgeable and is always willing to discuss options - Great service Modern Astronomy:headbang:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A huge thumbs up for Bern @ Modern Astronomy. Stephen recommended I got in touch as I was after an M42/1 to t-thread adapter and EP holder. Bern was super quick with his email comms, ordered early afternoon and was shipped the same day with the parcel arriving within 24 hours of ordering.

Super stuff and thoroughly recommended.

I needed a 10mm T2 extension tube to ensure the correct spacing for my Atik camera and filter wheel. I emailed Bern at Modern Astronomy on the off-chance that, although not listed on his website, he might just have the beast I was after. Which he did. I ordered yesterday, and it arrived this morning.

It may only be a 10mm extension tube, but it was exactly what I needed. First class service, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I contacted Bernard a week or so ago to buy a coma corrector. The one I wanted was out of stock and he suggest a couple of alternatives, all a little too expensive for me. He then recommended a coma corrector he didn't sell! What a nice thought from a real expert.

Anyway, yesterday I decided I needed a new guide camera and contacted Bernard to check stock of a QHY5. Yes it was in stock, so placed an order on the website. I received an order ack then an email last night to say the camera had been despatched. It turned up this morning at 10:30. You can't say better than that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bought a Ts 480x80 triplet. absolutely first class service. There was to be a delay ordering the scope from ts as ts was at a starparty but was informed of this before placing the order. I got a call 4 days later sayiing my scope had arrived and 2 days later it was at my door. great communication all the way and yet another satisfied customer.

• 2 months later...

I emailed Bern about a couple of adapters I needed - He got back to me that day with an answer. I phoned him up and gave my card details. I paid for International signed for out to Spain and he sent me a tracking number later in the day. The rest is down to the postal systems in UK and Spain and I'm glad to say that they behaved well.

Once again, Bern has delivered top notch service. He's my first retailer of choice now for accessories, adapters etc. He is knowledgeable, helpful and to top it all will post abroad. His business model certainly meets my requirements.

• Like 3

I recently purchased a QHY5-ii Mono camera from Modern Astronomy. I couldn't get it to work consistently no matter what I tried. Emailed Bernard, who asked me to send it back, he tested it and found it didn't like the dark! Just received a replacement camera this morning. Bernard's communication the whole time was first class and his overall service has been just want you would want from an internet supplier. Can't do anything other than highly recommend Modern Astronomy.

• 1 month later...

Just a short post to say how pleased I have been with the help I have received from Bern at Modern Astronomy.

Whilst ordering a power supply for my CG5 GOTO mount (which arrived next day) I took the opportunity to quiz him on some of the ins and outs of video astronomy which I am exploring as a subject for an autumn / winter project.

Bern was very helpful and very patient!! - Recommended!!

Robin

• 2 months later...

I originally ordered a 4ch dew controller from the their eBay shop and was so impressed that I ordered 4 dew heater straps a week later.these arrived in 1 day but I had ordered one of the tapes too long.after a quick email I was told to send it back and I recd a replacement straight away foc.great service and a surplier I will use again and again

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Massive A+ for Bernard & Modern Astronomy, my camera had developed a substantial tilt almost exactly a year to the day i bought it from him, he could not be helpful enough and has organised a replacement for. Top top man, he truly understands customer service, very happy bunny.

Cheers Bernard

• 4 weeks later...

Bern has been great in all his communications especially over the phone, it is great to have a chat as Bern quiet often see problems and issues before you do and most times has a solution.

Al orders have been promptly dealt with and delivered next day.

Once again massive thank you to Bernard at Modern Astronomy. He's help me out with my QHY8L which i was having an issue with, truely looks after his customers.

If you have any dealings with Modern Astronomy & Bernard you won't be disapointed. Top Man

Cheers Again Bernard

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a quick summary of my recent experience. I emailed MA with a request for a non-standard part for my QHY camera. Had a comprehensive response back which included a quote and link to allow me to order online. I completed the order Sunday, part arrived Tuesday and at a much better price than I feared! Very friendly, helpful service from Bernard :smiley:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cant praise Bernard at Modern Astronomy high enough.Exceptional service.
Contacted Modern Astronomy a little while ago,as I was chasing a particular adaptor.I was told by Bernie,that he could,nt supply that particular one,but no probs,he would have one made for me.
I supplied him with a drawing and some details,he contacted his engineer,and a couple of weeks later it was ready for me.
This really is great service,as nothing seems to be too much trouble.
A++++++++++++++ Bernard and Modern Astronomy.
Mick.