Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modern Astronomy

Demonperformer

First Light Optics/Modern Astronomy/Ian King and Telescope House

I just wanted to say that in the years I have been purchasing equipment from UK suppliers, and this is a personal opinion based on my own private purchases...that all of the above, along with a few more such as Venturescope and SCS, but regularly those listed above, have delivered excellent help/support/advice and prices. They are a credit to the industry, and should be heartily supported where possible

Edited by Steve
Changed title to reflect content

• 1 month later...

Placed order Sat 12th Dec

Email confirming Credit Card payment had been accepted received 12.35 on 13th

Email confirming despatch received 19.17 on Mon 14th

Got home from work on Tues 15th to find card put through my door by RM saying they had tried to deliver it and was able to collect it from the sorting office first thing next morning.

Securely packaged [so much so it took me a while to work out how to 'break into' it - that is not a complaint, I regard it as a positive] and the contents of the box were well 'filled in' with polystyrene bits to prevent damage in transit.

Speaking as someone who does not need a lot of excuse to start complaining about companies, I have to say the service was excellent; it was speedy and they kept me well-informed throughout the entire process. I have definitely listed their website as my first port of call for any future 'new' astro purchases.

Summary: They cannot be faulted.

Thank you, Bernard.

[i have no link with this company other than being a first-time buyer]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered a TS Planetary eyepiece from modern astronomy - and then got scared as i read somewhere on this forum that they are almost impossible to get in the UK. So I rang Bernard who runs the place and left a message asking him to put my mind at rest.

He rang me back the same evening and told me that my EP was put in the post in the morning (and had a nice chat) so I should have it tommorow!:)

Very friendly service -all in all top customer experience - would recommend to anyone.

Warren

• 1 month later...

I have just used both these companies within the past week and must say again both gave outstanding service. I doubt very much whether I would use anyone else, oh and Bern at Modern astronomy. Steve Durr

Hi All,having dealt with another company when purchasing my first scope (skymax 127 goto) it was a disaster, so i thought no more buying off the internet, but on thursday night 11/03 10, decided to try MODERN ASTRONOMY for a 8mm PLANETARY EP, i ordered it on line at about 8.00pm, recieved an email saying that the order was recieved, then another email friday 12/03/10, saying it was dispatched,and low and behold it has just arrived saturday 13/03/10, my faith is restored, i doubt i will use another company other than MODERN ASTRONOMY, highly recommended, thankyou again Bernard.

• 1 month later...

I gave Bern a call at Modern Astronomy last Friday to make enquiries about the QHY6. He spent at least half an hour on the phone with me telling me all about it and in the end I decided it was the camera I'd like to go for.

He told me he didnt have any at that time but that they were due to arrive with him the following Tuesday.

Tuesday I get an email telling me they have arrived and that he will be testing the camera so will probably send it out Wednesday.

Tuesday afternoon I get an email telling my camera has been dispatched and then first thing this morning (Wednesday) it arrived.

So from him to me, fully tested in under 24 hours.

Wonderful service and a top bloke.

I've been firing more emails off to him about the camera and the best way to go about things and every one has been replied to very quickly.

Cant recommend him enough.

• 5 months later...

Just thought I should say something about Modern Astronomy.

I'd not ordered from them before but I wanted a QHY5 and couldn't find in on my usual sites (FLO,Greenwhich). So I placed the order early yesterday morning. Received lots of emails about the order progress and this morning my shiny new guider camera turned up barely 24 hours after the order.

Brilliant service.

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to say how helpful Bern was with my first two purchases at modern astronomy.

I bought an OAG, followed by a couple adaptors to get it all to fit, Bern gave me good advice along the way, he even helped me to identify the telescope I have been using.

Thanks Bern!

I phoned Bern at Modern Astronomy yesterday at 11.30am. I bought an EOS CLS clip filter for my Canon 500D. It arrived this morning (23hrs from order to delivery in Glasgow). I don't think this could be beat. Thanks Bern.

I ordered a Bresser Giro AltAz mount on Tuesday afternoon from Telescope House. It arrived this morning. And I got the 10% discount : ) Pretty good.

I can recommend these vendors.

I have also had good service from Steve at FLO - he has even talked me out of buying a 'scope, as he thought I would not be happy with it.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

Just wanted to post my appreciation for Mondern Astronomy. I emailed Bernard at the end of last week about a T-threaded adapter for my Toucam webcam. Unfortunately, the ones advertised on his site were for the SPC900NC (with longer nose pieces). Bernard had a rummage around his stock, found an older version (for the Toucam) and emailed quickly back. On early Monday afternoon I made a payment via Paypal and it arrived on Tuesday!

Great service from start to finish and highly recommended.

Nick

I had an issue with my QHY5 that I purchased from Rother Valley Optics and Bern (from Modern Astronomy) called me promptly this morning for a chat to advise me.

Top bloke, knows his stuff and has given me some interesting ideas for using the QHY5 as a finderguider :)

• 3 weeks later...

A big thumbs up for Bernard at Modern Astronomy. Superbly helpful on the phone, quick delivery and very reasonable costs.

Bought a few things this week from him (QHY5 camera, dew strips and controller, focuser upgrade for ED80 and some other bits and bobs), and each time he was keen to speak and advise.

Recommended :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I called Bernard (who answered the phone within a few rings :) ) to enquire about a mini dovetail with groove for my WO66, I needed two screws not the one, that was not a problem.

Payment was processed and the order was dispatched, all emails in good time, and it arrived next day in the post.

I don't think it gets better than that to be honest.:)

• 1 month later...

Just had another excellent transaction from Bernard and Modern Astronomy.

Good price, excellent communication and very prompt dispatch.

Highly recommended.

Jeremy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rang bern up today to sort out an adapter so i could get foucs with my dslr turned out i didnt need it he talked me through the process of removing the 1.25 inch adapter and that it left a m42 thred that my tring would go into :hello2:i can get focus now with the dslr on the 8" newt :) top guy for not just taking the money and helping me out insted so i will be using that money to get somthing else from them soon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I needed a C-mount male to T-type male adapter. I needed a maximum thread depth of 3mm on the T-type male side.

Had spent some time looking around without success (I found them at one place but it was going to cost me £37 plus £10 P&P, and still not be sure if I would have the right adapter.

Rang Bernard @ Modern Astromony. Explained what I was connecting and what I thought I needed.

What a gent.

He confirmed the thread types on the two pieces of kit.

He thought he could help and said he'd look around and get back to me.

Sure enough, had a call later advising he could do it, but apologised that he had to charge for a 1mm t-type spacer. Total cost £28.

Me = happy bunny who will definately use Bernard again.

Top class personal service.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a T-Cell Astronomik CLS CCD filter on Thursday afternoon last week , as this is a special order item it was shipped direct from Germany and arrived today !!!

Fantastic service as always from Bern!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered an Astronomik CLS clip filter at 4:02pm on Friday 20/01/2012 the item arrived in the post at 2:00pm Saturday 21st.

Awesome service, really helpful, just an all round great supplier!

Edited by jgs001