Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Dark Horizon

First light from within the "Seren Bach" observatory..

Hi all, I'm finally back imaging! its been way too long. 

Still need to drive errors out of the system and i'll work on that as i go, but heres my first light from the obs.

Equipment: 127 triplet apo with Atik428ex, guided by a Starwave 102ed with QHY5II (with 0.5fr) on an AZEQ6.

3 x 5min subs + 3 x 10min subs in 12nm Ha; no bias frames, darks or flats.

Stacked in DSS and processed in Gimp. I was battling with high cloud so not as much detail as i had hoped for.

Cheers for looking.

bubble2.jpg

Edited by Dark Horizon
  • Like 9

Nice work. Well done! :) What object is this please? 

Just had a bash at reprocesing it... less frames 2 X 10min and 2 x 5min. Went a lot easier on curves and levels..  I'm awake today.. last night wasn't a good time to process!! :)

Which do you like better? 

bubbleX.jpg

• Like 2

I like the first version, prefer the slightly darker background.

Cheers very much Starlight..  I'm sure i could tease more out of it, but i'm not overly familiar with Gimp... much prefer PS.

Problem I have though Chris is that in clipping the black point I loose fluffy detail... Many more subs required so that i can clip a little without too much risk to the faint fluff.

Cheers for your comment, all are welcome.. 

Anglesey sound like a nice place for dark sky so you can get lots more data ,puling more subs is more data and that makes a image nice fluffy detail.

Edited by Starlight 1
spelling I am not good at lol.

which one now theres a quandry,1st one but only just there both great images

Anglesey has some really good skies... Away from Holyhead and Llangefni. My skies are favourable to say the least, but I'm in a small estate of houses and lights so not ideal, but infinitely better than being sandwiched between Leicester, Derby and Nottingham as I was before! :)

Cheers Iwols..