2016-10-04T16:48:24: Driver indi_rpifocus: pid=19199 rfd=0 wfd=6 efd=7
2016-10-04T16:48:25: Driver indi_rpifocus: stderr EOF
2016-10-04T16:48:25: Driver indi_rpifocus: restart #9
2016-10-04T16:48:25: Driver indi_rpifocus: pid=19204 rfd=0 wfd=6 efd=7
2016-10-04T16:48:26: Driver indi_rpifocus: stderr EOF
2016-10-04T16:48:26: Driver indi_rpifocus: restart #10
2016-10-04T16:48:26: Driver indi_rpifocus: pid=19209 rfd=0 wfd=6 efd=7
2016-10-04T16:48:27: Driver indi_rpifocus: stderr EOF
2016-10-04T16:48:27: Driver indi_rpifocus: Terminated after #10 restarts.
2016-10-04T16:48:27: good bye

• Like 1

Not sure the command is correct though - will investigate...

Here's a list of INDI drivers.

gina@Rpi3-UM1:~$ ls /usr/bin/indi_*
/usr/bin/indi_aagcloudwatcher  /usr/bin/indi_intelliscope   /usr/bin/indi_mi_ccd_usb         /usr/bin/indi_simulator_gps
/usr/bin/indi_apogee_ccd       /usr/bin/indi_joystick       /usr/bin/indi_microtouch_focus   /usr/bin/indi_simulator_telescope
/usr/bin/indi_asi_ccd          /usr/bin/indi_lx200_16       /usr/bin/indi_moonlite_focus     /usr/bin/indi_simulator_wheel
/usr/bin/indi_baader_dome      /usr/bin/indi_lx200ap        /usr/bin/indi_nfocus             /usr/bin/indi_skycommander
/usr/bin/indi_celestron_gps    /usr/bin/indi_lx200autostar  /usr/bin/indi_nstep_focus        /usr/bin/indi_skywatcherAPIMount
/usr/bin/indi_dsi_ccd          /usr/bin/indi_lx200basic     /usr/bin/indi_perfectstar_focus  /usr/bin/indi_smartfocus_focus
/usr/bin/indi_duino            /usr/bin/indi_lx200classic   /usr/bin/indi_qhy_ccd            /usr/bin/indi_star2000
/usr/bin/indi_eqmod_telescope  /usr/bin/indi_lx200fs2       /usr/bin/indi_qsi_ccd            /usr/bin/indi_steeldrive_focus
/usr/bin/indi_eval             /usr/bin/indi_lx200gemini    /usr/bin/indi_robo_focus         /usr/bin/indi_sx_ao
/usr/bin/indi_ffmv_ccd         /usr/bin/indi_lx200generic   /usr/bin/indi_rolloff_dome       /usr/bin/indi_sx_ccd
/usr/bin/indi_fishcamp_ccd     /usr/bin/indi_lx200gps       /usr/bin/indi_rpialtimu          /usr/bin/indi_sx_wheel
/usr/bin/indi_fli_ccd          /usr/bin/indi_lx200_OnStep   /usr/bin/indi_rpibrd             /usr/bin/indi_synscan
/usr/bin/indi_fli_focus        /usr/bin/indi_lx200pulsar2   /usr/bin/indi_rpifocus           /usr/bin/indi_tcfs3_focus
/usr/bin/indi_flipflat         /usr/bin/indi_lx200ss2000pc  /usr/bin/indi_rpigps             /usr/bin/indi_tcfs_focus
/usr/bin/indi_fli_wheel        /usr/bin/indi_lx200zeq25     /usr/bin/indi_sbig_ccd           /usr/bin/indi_temma
/usr/bin/indi_getprop          /usr/bin/indi_lynx_focus     /usr/bin/indi_sbig_stv           /usr/bin/indi_trutech_wheel
/usr/bin/indi_gphoto_ccd       /usr/bin/indi_magellan1      /usr/bin/indi_script_telescope   /usr/bin/indi_v4l2_ccd
/usr/bin/indi_gpsd             /usr/bin/indi_maxdomeii      /usr/bin/indi_setprop            /usr/bin/indi_vantage_weather
/usr/bin/indi_gpusb            /usr/bin/indi_meta_weather   /usr/bin/indi_simulator_ccd      /usr/bin/indi_watchdog
/usr/bin/indi_ieq_telescope    /usr/bin/indi_mi_ccd         /usr/bin/indi_simulator_dome     /usr/bin/indi_wunderground_weather
/usr/bin/indi_imager_agent     /usr/bin/indi_mi_ccd_eth     /usr/bin/indi_simulator_focus    /usr/bin/indi_xagyl_wheel
gina@Rpi3-UM1:~$

• Like 1

Connected ASI178MM camera and tried starting indiserver with ASI driver but instead of coming up with the hardware camera it loads the simulator.  And I still can't get rpifocus to work

As reported in another thread, I have the remote connection working :)

I tried remote connection to INDI server from my Linux Mint laptop running KStars/Ekos and after reading the Ekos setup page again, set the connection parameters as Remote and 192.168.1.77 (the IP address of the RPi) with port as already set, which was correct.  Then clicked Connect and selected the ASI camera driver from the list.  AND... after further setting up, Ekos reported connection to ZWO CCD ASI178MM - the correct camera.  Set a few more things and up popped a window containing the image from my all sky camera :)

Another stage of the process achieved and I can go to bed happy :)  Now I just need to get remote focussing working plus a few settings in Ekos for saving images to HD and I will have a workable RPi setup for the all sky camera :)  Perhaps one of the other focuser drivers could be made to work...  OTOH I wouldn't be surprised if there was all the info in the INDI resources needed to write one's own driver.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Ah yes - good :)  Should be straightforward but... 

I'll continue looking at the INDI focuser driver situation :)  The INDI White Paper describes the principles involved in INDI and the thinking behind it.  I think it helps to read up on the background and get to understand what we're working with.  I think I should be able to follow it and go on to write drivers - I have an extensive background in programming in various languages though my poor old brain is getting somewhat depleted in the "little grey cells"!

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Success here too - as far as the scope is concerned anyway.

I started the indi server on the pi (called indiserver too btw) - ip address is 192.168.1.95

indiserver -m 100 -vv indi_celestron_gps indi_simulator_ccd

For some reason KStars/Ekos wont connect unless you have a CCD driver running so I used the simulator.

Then I entered the indiserver details, scope and ccd details in Ekos via KStars

Screenshot from 2016-10-05 10-14-07.png

Click on Options, select Indi. Put in the server and port details for the scope. I have it on a USB to Serial adapter connected to the base of the hand controller.

Screenshot from 2016-10-05 10-02-15.png

Select Ekos. Enter remote server ip again 

Screenshot from 2016-10-05 10-02-40.png

Press OK

Back in Ekos-KStart dialog press Connect

And Hey Presto. The mount is tracking correctly and I can slew to a selected object easily.

Screenshot from 2016-10-05 09-57-35.png

Click on Control Panel and you can see the devices and modify properties, control them etc

Screenshot from 2016-10-05 09-57-17.png

Phew - glad that bit all works :D:D:D

• Like 1

WOW!!  Looks good :)

Been reading the INDI White Paper, got to page 12 and brain started overheating :D  Getting more and more complicated.  Maybe continue in scanning mode then go on to the INDI Developers Manual.  Doing this followed by going back and re-reading often works for me :)  I also plan to go on and look at the source code for some drivers.  I think it should be possible to alter or "adjust" some of the code and recompile to produce a new driver.  Then whether it's just a matter of installing the driver or whether it's more complicated than that remains to be seen.

Finished INDI White Paper just scanning and went on to scan through the INDI Developer Manual and now totally confused or is that "brain fused" :D 

Also had a quick look at INDI_duino which seems to connect to an Arduino running a provided sketch which includes protocol to communicate with INDI.  This would seem to be an easy way of doing things - I should have no problem editing the Arduino sketch to do what I want.  Only downside is that it's an additional layer of hardware when the RPi already provides the GPIO which could be used directly.  It's also another USB port involved on the RPi.  INDI_duino could be useful for data formats not covered by the GPIO though, such as analogue inputs.

Pity the Astroberry driver doesn't work - that would be the ideal solution.  Think I'll take a look at other focuser drivers.

Edited by Gina

Here's a list of focuser drivers copied and pasted from the INDI driver list - INDI_rpifocus excepted :-

indi_fli_focus
indi_lynx_focus
indi_microtouch_focus
indi_moonlite_focus
indi_nfocus
indi_nstep_focus
indi_perfectstar_focus
indi_robo_focus
indi_smartfocus_focus
indi_steeldrive_focus
indi_tcfs_focus

Some of these use steppers and some DC motors.

I think probably all of these are hardware controllers connect by USB and useless for what we want to do.  The Arduino would be a better option if we have to use USB.

I've set up an account with the INDI forum but though the sign-in recognises my username and password, it doesn't work.  I was going to report our problems with the Astroberry driver as I'm thinking asking the author of the project would be best - or get reply from someone who has got it working.  The error we're getting looks like there's part of the file missing.  The INDI forum would be the place to ask INDI questions anyway.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Thank you Lance - looks like an option :)

I was going to try the focuser driver etc. with my all sky camera but without an Arduino and using a Pololu A4988 driver module driven from GPIO pins on the RPi.  However, on opening up the ASC box, I see the Arduino Nano that I was using for focussing with a USB cable does more than the focus - it controls a dew heater too so modifying the Arduino sketch used with the INDI_duino driver may be the way to go for that.

I would still want to run a focuser for telescope or camera lens for my main DSO imaging rigs though and would prefer to use the GPIO than Arduino.

Edited by Gina

No, I couldn't find any either :(  I took a 32w socket and cut bits off making separate rows of 8 socket holes.  You could use any DIL socket and hack it about.  Don't know why 0.5" spaced sockets aren't available - you'd think someone would have made them.

• Like 1

Working today, 11:00-20:00 so there will be no progress on the focuser today :sad: . I think one possibility will be building the Astroberry drivers from source but it will have to wait. At least I'm only doing 16hrs/wk these days so more time for projects :hello2:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tekkydave said:

Also ordered one of these to take any extra circuitry e.g. focuser electronics, 12v to 5v regulator etc

Ah yes, I've been looking for something like that.  I see it says RPi 2 - must check the difference between 2 and 3.

• Like 1

Yes, it is :)  Just compared the two and no problem - GPIO pins and mounting holes are the same.  I bought a Pi 2 for a 3D printer but never go around to using it - will do one day - or more likely a Pi 3 for it's WiFi facility.

Talking of WiFi I'll be checking that the range is enough between house and observatory - not done that yet.  So much to do - so little time!!  I too am very busy these days.  If there's a problem I'll get 240v mains type LAN boxes.

Been out myself all morning and feeling tired after a long night capturing images so don't feel up to doing much today.  But I have been thinking about things.  Can't ask questions on the INDI forum as it won't let me create an account for some reason - never had that problem joining forums before but I think the Astroberry driver might work if it's recompiled - that would be the nicest solution.  I might take a look at INDI_duino later.  As I think I said, it could be useful for handling more complicated things than just a focuser.  With your experience in writing an ASCOM focuser, I think I'll leave it to you to get an INDI focuser going - probably...

There are a few things I want to check on.  I posted about these earlier but can't find the posts now.  Been looking at HomePlug devices in case the RPi doesn't work in the observatory.  Also, when I get the gigabit fibre broadband, a fast LAN will be useful so I've been looking at a gigabit HomePlug with Ethernet and WiFi.  NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port).

Clear Outside is showing negligible clear sky for the next week so I should be able to catch up on sleep :D  And may have enough spare energy to check out a few things.

Edited by Gina