Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light solar viewing.

Hi everyone. 

Looking at buying a herschel wedge from flo. There's two on the market, Baader and Lunt. Very much different in prices so which one would you go for and why?? I'm swaying towards the Lunt. 

Both are excellent for the price points. I have used the 1.25" Lunt and now use the 2" Baader CoolCeramic.

I doubt you would be disappointed with with either, but my personal view is that the Baader does deliver better views, particularly at higher magnifications. It seems brighter and the contrast and detail at high mag are pretty spectacular.

Don't forget the Continuum filter! This really tidies things up and helps with the contrast.

As Stu says. The Lunt is great until you really push the magnification. That said. It is good enough for me.

Paul

Hi Stu,I can recommend the Lunt ,which is excellent with my 70 mmF 12.5 scope,and as said a Continumm filter makes a great addition.   As ever ones budget dictates ones choise .  Good luck with which you decide to go with.  John.

Consider back focus too. If your current diagonal takes your drawtube close to the limit going inwards, a wedge of the same size should be fine but if you buy a 2" wedge (and currently use a 1.25" diagonal) this will gobble up a lot of in focus. This is the case with the Lunt at least but maybe the Baader wedge is different in this respect? I'f be interested to know myself actually.

Archived