sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi all,

Not sure whether I am expecting too much but I chose to try M103 tonight given it has a number of very red stars in and around it.   I am using a 314L+ mono with filter wheel.  I took 5x120secs 1x1 for each of the 4 filters which I figured was plenty to capture the colours  (although L adds nothing as you can imagine).  I attach the picture below and as you can see there isn't the deep red you see in other images of M103 I have seen.  I popped each stacked master into the respective channel and aligned the best I could.

Am I expecting too much or have I gone wrong or missed a step?

Many thanks

Ig

M103_Stacked.jpg

I think you would do better with more subs, and also play with the color saturation, below is your data with augmented saturation, it would probably look better if I had your Fits or Tiff file instead of the JPG

M103_Stacked_thumb_jpg_sat.jpg

Checklist:

1) If you're using an electric F/W check your fits headers in a programme which lets you do so in order to be sure that the filters used actually correspond with the colours channels as you have named them. Most of us have shot a load of 'red' through the green filter in the dead of night!

2) What programme did you use to combine the three colours? Were the three files correctly ascribed? Were settings like white balance checked?

3) In a programme like Photoshop where are the three histogram peaks relaitive to each other? A good rule of thumb is to align the top left of the histo peak in each colour by moving the black point.

Olly

Thanks guys.

Had another go at combining (in photoshop) and got a better result, as below.  This time I combined before doing any level/curve adjustment etc. Is that the right way round?  

Olly - forgive me - on 2/ I simply cut and paste each coloured stack into the appropriate channel. Never even considered white balance. Do I need to?

What I have noticed however is that the stars on my red subs (andeven more so on the lums) are "bigger" then on the green and blue.  This creates red halos when you align as you can imagine.  Assuming the subs are in focus, why would the red/lum filter create larger stars and what can I do about that? Is it exposure time?

Appreciate you help!

Thanks

Ig

M103_Stacked_Take2.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HN50
      Hi,
      This probably old hat to everyone, but I found out about a setting in iOS 10 that allows you to do a full red screen; I know astronomy apps have a night vision mode but I find the keyboard is normal light in  skyguide, or else I accidentally press the home key.
      It also lists a shortcut to set the red screen via pressing the home key three times in quick succession.
      Anyway, the details are in the link below.
      https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/keep-your-night-vision-sharp-with-ios-10s-hidden-red-screen-0173903/
      Dave
    • By PESKYWAABBIT
      Hi guys, so I finally got my HEQ5 PRO mount to track correctly and I decided to take a bunch of photos of the Orion Nebula(or at least part of it).
      I took as many photo's as I could with my Canon 1000D DSLR connected up at prime focus. I used 1600 ISO (max), 400 ISO and 100 ISO all with a shutter speed of 30"

I have found these red, green and blue squiggles I think are called 'hot pixels' in all of my photo's after I've used DeepSkyStacker to merge them. They may be hard to see on here but in Photoshop they are everywhere
      Could someone please explain to me what is causing this and what can I do to avoid it in the future please. I feel like I've ruined a perfect night out!  
      Or maybe there is a way to fix this?

I was using a Skywatcher 200p for these.
      ISO 1600 30"

ISO 400 30"

ISO 100 30"

Thanks, guys!

• By mikey2000
      I just had a quick 45 minutes to get out there tonight.  A shame really - I'm on an early shift tomorrow and really should be off to bed.

After I'd got over the 'snagging on RA controls' issue on my EQ2/130P I managed to home in on M103, a cluster in Cassiopeia.  It was pretty clear here tonight - I usually struggle to see Ursa Minor with the naked eye but could just see it.  Just.

I steered towards M103 and was rewarded with a rather dense view with my 6mm EP.  I had a very happy 10 minutes just watching as my eyes saw more and more detail.  I ended up pulling my coat up and draping it over my head and eyepiece to block out the last bit of outside light, rather like a vintage photographer.  (Does anyone else do this???)

The cluster was straight overhead and this left the scope at an awkward angle for viewing.  I now have a sore back.
    • By Aenima
      A h-alpha shot of the Wall section of NGC7000 aka north america nebula.

ED80 - ATK16HR - Ha clip filter - EQ6 - finderguider 9x50mm 

PhD2 - photoshop - DSS. 
    • By Stu
      NOW SOLD
      This was purchased in the FLO clearance sale but I had a change of plans so it is no longer needed.
      It is in perfect condition, unused and comes with the Skywatcher flange for ED80/100 and 120. It is the dual speed model in red with brake.
      Looking for £220 collected at SGL11 or £230 posted. PayPal fees paid or bank transfer please.
      Cheers, Stu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.