Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think this would be a good choice for a beginner. Right?

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

The UK's most popular Dobsonian telescope. 
"The Skyliner 200’s flat-packed base is very easy to build and set up, and comes with excellent instructions….The optics were sharp across 80% of the 1 degree field of view….We were very pleased with the appearance of al the test objects – we even managed to find the Crab Nebula, M81 and M82 in near-full Moonlight, whereas the other scopes were struggling. Under darker skies the Double Cluster had that ‘Wow’ factor when it was centred using the 25mm eyepiece, as did M35. The Pleiades (M45) was just a bit too large to fit in the field of view, but the main central stars looked stunning….Turning to Saturn, the view really took our breath away: we saw five moons, a clear-cut Cassini Division and a colour difference between the A and B rings. Not only that, but Saturn also displayed a prominent belt – with this scope planetary detail is certainly not compromised….Fans of deep-sky observing would certainly find the Skyliner satisfying….The Skyliner was a joy to use.”  BBC SKY AT NIGHT MAGAZINE

Features and specification

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48 & x120
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x406
  • Diameter of Primary Mirror: 203mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/5.91)
  • Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Crayford-style Focuser
  • Parabolic Primary Mirror with Protective Silicon-Dioxide Overcoat
  • Super-smooth Azimuth Movement with Teflon Pads
  • Diffraction Limited Optics
  • 0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports
  • 9x50 Finderscope
  • Direct SLR Camera Connection
  • Wooden Alt-Azimuth Mount with Accessory Tray
  • 77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

Our posts have crossed. (See your Welcome post.) 

Yes is the answer, That is a good 'pre-choice'. Just have a think about moving it, etc., as in my earlier reply.

You're doing well already, and on the right track.

I have 2 telescopes, one 127mm and one 203mm (the last one is comparable in opening to the 200P Dobson). Now I prefer using the 203mm one, because it gives the best picture and objects are easier to find than with the 127mm.

Keep in mind that Dobsons are quite big. An 8" probably comes up to your chest or shoulders, depending on your height. If you need to carry it outside, you can take a Dobson apart into 2 pieces. If transporting over a longer distance, you'll need a trolley or a car.

Something else is that you'll need to learn how to find objects. To that you can install Stellarium on the computer. It's for free.

Besides that, a paper star atlas is nice to have for when you are out in the field. Many people like the Pocket Sky Atlas. To read it when outside, you'll need a small red light. I got an el cheapo white light that you can click onto the atlas and bow forward. Something similar to this : https://www.google.no/search?q=light+with+clip&espv=2&biw=1362&bih=759&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_7-yZvL7PAhWBjCwKHWuHD1wQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=Baia4o9keNRp-M%3A

I used red hobby paint to paint it over twice. Nail polish can also be used. Now the light gives a nicely dimmed red colour. You can these lights cheap from China.

Archived