Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

It occured to me that I should share with you the timelapes of this year's Mercury transit as seen from Czech Republic.

The clouds have parted for some 20 minuts, allowing me to capture this timelapse.

I shot it with a modified webcam, Baader 2.25x Barlow and UV/IR cut filter, using my former SW MAK 102/1300.

2016-05-09 transit merkuru 102 mak.gif

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing, it is a fine record of the event. How much of it did you get to see from the Czech Republic?

15 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Thank you for sharing, it is a fine record of the event. How much of it did you get to see from the Czech Republic?

The clouds parted some time after first contact and lasted for some 20 minutes. If it were clear, I could have watched it about 4/5 of the way through the transit, up to dusk.

Attached is a photo of a setup I used

CRW_4839cropp.jpg

• Like 1

At least you got to see some of it, we had a some decent views of it in some parts of the UK. It was partly cloudy where a viewed it from, I saw from 2nd contact until it was around half way across the disc. Much better than the transit of Venus a few years back, which was totally clouded out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BabyPepper
      Connecting the corona to the photoshphere and chromosphere.

http://www.bbso.njit.edu/  November 15th News.  Nov 15, 2019: Formation of solar spicules and subsequent coronal heating unveiled

Link to big bear observatory nov 15th movie capture http://www.bbso.njit.edu/scinews/LayeredMovie.mp4   <

A side note here, linking back to my own thread linking the photosphere to the chromorosphere and also apparently the zone of ionization where calcium atoms become singly ionized..    

Dutch open telescope Calcium line 397nm                                                  Apollo Lasky Hydrogen Line 656nm
           <br>     
    • By BabyPepper
      160mm x 1600mm + Lunt LS50C etalon.
      Thanks for looking!
            <br>    

• By alanjgreen
      Just bagged 10 minutes between the clouds and got to see the Mercury shadow transit!
      Its so long since I used the Lunt that I took a few seconds to get back into the groove of tuning the double stack and letting some air into the tuner as it was flat.
      Not much else on the disc - 3 x sets of proms, 3 tiny filaments, saw one small bright flux patch briefly.
      But the Mercury shadow was nice and clear and a decent sized patch too.
      Just got back inside before it started spotting with rain! Fingers crossed for another clear patch later ...
      Alan
    • By ian61
      We are hoping to observe the transit in school (Don’t panic - we have done several transits and partial eclipses in the past so we are fine on the safety aspects - thanks). However does anyone know how I can get hold of some links to use in advance of the day that we can use to put some professional feeds up on the large screen tellies we have linked up to the computer systems these days – I am told that links on YouTube are the easiest to handle on the slightly clunky system we have to control them.
      My question comes from reminiscing with colleges that my daughter and I had stayed up to watch first contact of the last transit of Venus live from Hawaii before swapping to Mt Wilson. (We were also up before dawn on top of the local hill fort as the sun rose having lugged an old 4” reflector up there.) Of course at the time we were just browsing through the internet not taking good note of sites we were on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.