Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to the forum\Help!

StarOfTheGalaxy

Hey I am new to this forum,

For now I am going to be heading towards (amateur astronomy hobbyist) till I finish my education and hopefully become an astronomer!

I am really interested in astronomy,but sadly I miss the equipment ,My equipment for now is :

• Strong binoculars
  • My eyes
  • A kids toy telescope

well, I really am most fascinated by galaxies and nebulae, so i am waiting (since 8 months) that my mum gets money and buys me a real telescope! 

So does anyone know any good cheap (100$-300$) telescopes which can see galaxies? 

If anyone would give me a link to buy it I would really appreciate it!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,and Welcome to SGL.
I have moved your post to the Welcome board which is where new members introduce themselves to everyone.;
It allows you to tell a little about yourself, and what your aspirations are.
Can I ask how old you are, you are not obliged to reveal your age, but you say you want to be an astronomer, well, most of us 
on SGL are astronomers, but in the main we are amateurs.  We do have some who are professionally allied to astronomy, and are well versed
in some of the sciences that make up astronomy itself. 
Any questions you may have can be asked in the relevant sections of the forum, depending upon the type of Information you are seeking>
In the meantime, enpoy your self here, and don't be afraid to communicate with other members.

Best Wishes.

Welcome, StarOfTheGalaxy. I hope you enjoy the forum and have fun with the hobby.

Maybe have a look at some of the astronomy equipment websites and come back with what you think would be good for you. The general advice is that you will get better optics for your (your mother's!) cash with a reflector. The Sky Watcher 8" Dobsonian is 'the most popular ' telescope - and for good reason.

Have a think about how you might move/transport that scope when you plan to look at the night sky. Do you have stairs to negotiate? Do you have a place nearby where you can use it (away from lights, as much as possible)? Might binoculars be a better choice to learn the sky?

Have a scout about online and learn as much as you can yourself. For me, part of the fun in the hobby is the research and learning. 

You can count on SGL members to give good advice whenever you need it. ?

50 minutes ago, StarOfTheGalaxy said:

Well, 
Thanks for the reply, I am 14 and going to turn 15 in 2 months!

You're one of our younger members then, so you have lots of years to get the qualifications you will need
if you wish to make Astronomy your profession. Maths is vital, and the other subject needed to get to a University.
It is a difficult road to travel education wise.

Unless you wish to give your name,  (And you don't have to if choose not to.)<
I will call  you SOTG for ease. 
I hope you have read the Forum's Code Of Conduct, it is a requirement of joining here, and also vital that 
those rules are followed. Politeness to all members is paramount, we are all friends here, and we all get along very well.
You will make friends as you go along.
The Code Of Conduct link is at the top of this page. I take it you have read it, but if not, please do so.
I hope you enjoy it here.

2 minutes ago, StarOfTheGalaxy said:

Ha! My name is yousif..you can call me that! I always get A and B in my math and science exams, (4th grade-till now), do not need to worry about that 

Confidence is always a good Ally. 

Hi, and welcome!

I think your main problem is how and where to buy a telescope in Egypt. Importing one from the USA or Europe might well be an expensive option with transport costs and local taxes. And I'm not sure how reliable companies such as Amazon are for Egypt, or even whether they will deliver. Until a few years ago, private ownership of telescopes was prohibited in Egypt - fortunately I believe that has now changed (but check!)

There is one company that I have heard of in Egypt which makes telescopes: http://www.egy-telescopes.com/index.html  However, I'm afraid I can't advise if these are any good as I've never seen one :icon_biggrin:.

In Cairo, there is an Astronomy Club at the American University https://www.facebook.com/astronomyauc/  Someone there might be able to suggest good sources for astronomical equipment, or might even have an attractive second-hand offer!

Hello Yousif.

Welcome to the forum.

As someone mentioned, reflectors are good value for money and they are big enough to see galaxies. In your case a 8" Dobson might be great if you don't need to transport it to another place. Because it requires a car for transportation. But you should be capable of carrying it outside your house. If you need to go to some other place on bicycle or walking, you might consider a skywatcher Heritage, which is a smaller reflector, which must be put onto a table or something similar. Another option is a refractor, like a Skywatcher startravel, which can be transported without a car. I hope you will be able to buy these products in your country, or import them.

Hello Yousif and welcome to SGL, I hope you get yourself a scope and enjoy the wonders of the universe,

also I wish you well with your future in astronomy, it's nice to know you are so enthusiastic about your interest

in the stars.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Archived