sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

What a night that was

Ok a memorable night for all the wrong reasons. Session planned with a few others at a dark site, all keyed up and good to go.

Start off, forgot my boots and my viewing list.

Got there and found a bearing missing which mounts the pushto bush so that wasnt working.

Some people arrived and couldn't get thier car lights to go out until they timed out after about 20 minutes. All later arrivals never thought to go to side lights for the last part and just take the time. Rather annoying.

Cloud lingered longer than forcast but I Did manage to get M33 which was nice but thats the only good point and so left around 11pm.

One way home hit a pothole and got a front puncture. Repair kit wouldnt work (there is no spare) so called the AA.

They arrived about 00.30 and said oh yes, you have a rear puncture! You what, I don't believe it. Yes thats right, I had a double flipping puncture.

The recovery wagon arrived at 2pm and I got home a 3pm. 

I might laugh about this later but right now I am tired. Night all.

Steve

• Like 6

It's very disheartening when you set off full of anticipation and good intentions of having a successful observing session.
Then, Sods law dives in and it becomes one disaster after another. At least you got some reward out of it all.
Sure you will look back and smile, but I can appreciate the frustration you suffer, but that is the nature of this beast.
Just look forward to the next outing, which no doubt will totally eradicate the memory of last night.
Let's hear about the next one Steve, likely a much happier outcome :icon_biggrin:.

3 minutes ago, barkis said:

It's very disheartening when you set off full of anticipation and good intentions of having a successful observing session.
Then, Sods law dives in and it becomes one disaster after another. At least you got some reward out of it all.
Sure you will look back and smile, but I can appreciate the frustration you suffer, but that is the nature of this beast.
Just look forward to the next outing, which no doubt will totally eradicate the memory of last night.
Let's hear about the next one Steve, likely a much happier outcome :icon_biggrin:.

It better had be matey seeing as its lucksall :laugh2:

'These things come to test us' good though that despite this mishap, you are resolved to venture out to darker skies again and good to, to meet up with a few mates and yep learn the lesson for next time to fix those car lights. 

15 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Ok a memorable night for all the wrong reasons. Session planned with a few others at a dark site, all keyed up and good to go.

Start off, forgot my boots and my viewing list.

Got there and found a bearing missing which mounts the pushto bush so that wasnt working.

Some people arrived and couldn't get thier car lights to go out until they timed out after about 20 minutes. All later arrivals never thought to go to side lights for the last part and just take the time. Rather annoying.

Cloud lingered longer than forcast but I Did manage to get M33 which was nice but thats the only good point and so left around 11pm.

One way home hit a pothole and got a front puncture. Repair kit wouldnt work (there is no spare) so called the AA.

They arrived about 00.30 and said oh yes, you have a rear puncture! You what, I don't believe it. Yes thats right, I had a double flipping puncture.

The recovery wagon arrived at 2pm and I got home a 3pm. 

I might laugh about this later but right now I am tired. Night all.

Steve

Blimey Steve that was a bad night sorry to hear of your woes, especially when so much effort goes into planning and hoping for a good evenings viewing. Do me a favour Don't tell the drivers with lingering headlights where your going weekend of the 28th October.