Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

jonathan

Baader Hyperion 13mm eyepiece for SCT and other scopes?

I am seriously looking at this Baader Hyperion 68 degree 13mm eyepiece as a high power for my SCT and in-between power for my 150P Skywatcher newtonian and the refractor, seems like a good solid eyepiece that should work in all of my scopes, even if the 'quality' is more than is necessary for the SCT.  I have a 10mm but often that is unusable in the SCT due to sky conditions.

Thoughts?

The Hyperions work great in the F/8-F/10 range and slower but start to show astigmatism in the outer parts of the FoV from F/7 and faster. Quite a bit of astigmatism at F/5.

I reckon the Explore Scientific 68 degree range are quite a bit better in faster scopes for around the same price.

• Like 2

I own that 13mm Hyperion; it's very transparent and reasonably sharp, with very mild pincushion distortion. It does give good medium-high views in my 127mm Schmidt-Cass (96x at f/10 of course). It defends itself pretty well in my f/5 dob, but only because its 68° don't embrace that much field, it's also good in my f/6 and f/7.5 refractors.

What's the catch? Well, I bought it mainly for the sizable discount offered at that time, and I think its geometric quality (squares remain squares, straight lines remain straight lines) is obtained at the expense of its optical quality (overall sharpness, especially in the outer portion of the image disk).

I have not tried all the focal lengths in the Explore range but given the two I own, and their reputation, I'd say forget the Hyperion; for about 20 dollars or pounds or euros more, you can have the 14mm/82° Explore. Just because the Explore is a Nagler clone guarantees it will outresolve the Hyperion.

I'd say go for the Celestron Luminos 15 mm good match for your scope can be had for around same money and 82° Or as John says the ES are great value and good all round I had full set of the hypierions wasn't really impressed with them always seemed a bit soft . 

Looks like the Explore Scientific gets the thumbs up then.  I think it may be time to re-foam my eyepiece case.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By A_D05
      So I am fairly new to the hobby, what I mean is I have a Celestron Astromaster 114 right now but its hard to use because of the non computerized equatorial mount as well as the red dot sight is bad. I am mainly interested in looking at DSO’s because they seem very interesting. My question is should i get a refractor or sct for observing dso’s and sometimes planets? I want a computerized one with tracking so I don’t have to take a long time finding nebulae and galaxies. Also, is there a certain type of filter to see color on nebula when not using eaa and just viewing with your eyes? I am looking to spend between $600-900
      thanks, 
      drew
    • By Varavall
      I am selling my Meade LX90 8" EMC with many accessories due to equipment upgrade, so this lovely scope needs a new home. All in excellent condition; no rust, battery boxes spotless, all motors function perfectly, holds collimation extremely well (only had to collimate once in the past 2 years), when well polar aligned I have achieved 3 minute unguided DSLR exposures.
      What's included:
      Meade LX90 8" EMC (in original Meade foam-filled shipping box)
      Meade 8x50 finderscope
      Meade standard field tripod

Meade equatorial wedge (replacement bolts to hold telescope and adjust azimuth)
      Meade AUDIOSTAR handset (under 2 years old) in original box (Provides much more functionality than the original Autostar)
      Meade UHTC flip-mirror system for photography
      Meade 1.25" eyepieces: 40mm 32mm 26mm 15mm 12.4mm 6.4mm
      Meade 1.25" telenegative amplifier air spaced triplet barlow
      Meade series 4000 1.25" filters x5
      Meade erecting prism and a 90° eyepiece holder
      Celestron 2" Mirror diagonal Starbright XLT with 1.25" adapter in original aluminium case
      Meade #505 cable connector set to connect PC to handset to control mount and update firmware
      Meade ST-4 module for connecting a guide camera to the mount
      Meade handset holder
      Meade front counterweight
      Jessops flight case to hold eyepieces, etc.
      PRICE: SOLD
      Please ask for more photos/information. Price includes shipping to Western Europe. Paypal preferred.

SOLD
    • By Tugboat
      I'm having a bit of a clearout to make way for a new project.  For sale here are a couple of items that have seen very litle use:
      1) Celestron Omni CG-4 GEM Mount + Tripod - £125 *** SOLD ***
      This is in generally very good condition.  There are a few marks, and scuffs consistent with normal use.  There are also a couple of minor (small) patches of surface rust on a few of the bolts and steel legs.  It has seen very litle use, and has been in storage for the past few years so it is time to find it a good home.  The small rubber tips that go on the very end of the feet have perished, so these won't be included.
      It includes tubular steel tripod, 2 counterweights, built in polar scope, built in bubble level and slow motion controls.
      Due to size and weight, collection would be preferred from the RG27 area.  If you are reasonably local, I would also consider delivering.
      Price: £125, but I am open to offers.  Payment can be made via Bank Transfer (preferred), Paypal or cash on collection
      2) ***SOLD*** Celestron Omni XLT 127mm Telescope ***SOLD ***
      Again this is in very good condition, and has been in storage for the past few years and has had very little overall use.  A few marks on the dovetail as is to be expected.
      It includes a small finderscope, diagonal and a 25mm eyepiece
      Can be collected from the RG27 area, I could deliver if you are reasonably local, or can be posted for an additional £8.
      Price: £110, but am open to offers.  Payment can be made via Bank Transfer (preferred), Paypal or cash on collection *** NOW SOLD ***
      Any questions please do let me know.

• By Gregely
      Hi SGL
      I popped this topic on CN too but noone seems to know anything.

I came by an old Celestron Ultima 8 pre-PEC. I really like the scope and the mount it may be that I have read too much of Uncle Rod's and other's praise that I feel this scope has some intangible personality and charm.
      Anyway...
      Circuitry in the base seems to work fine even though the batteries don't hold charge but drive the Ra axis . I have 2 replacement on its way to me.
      Now my issue: It didn't come with a hand controller. I know it is not needed for tracking, and I don't have a Dec motor but I find it would be useful for centering in RA and D.A.R.V. method drift alignment.
      I was on the verge of making a crude controller out of veroboard and 4 momentary switches that I thought to be correct from the info on various sites, but then I came across an Ultima 8 project that clearly showed the hand controller for my scope.
      The pic attached is the one.

I am looking for help on how the dial and buttons are wired in and/or photos of the innards of the hand controller or if anyone knows what else is inside the handbox.
      The sources I was going on so far is a combination of the following 3 links:
      https://www.cloudyni...ding/?p=8015749
      https://onstep.group...in/message/6300
      https://github.com/garlick/ultima8/blob/master/base/README.md

These of course don't include drive rate rotary switch in the middle and if I could I would really like to to restore the full ability of this mount without spending too much  on electronics. Plus I don't want to spend time and effort on wiring something that doesn't work.

Oh and lastly I have no background  or experience in electronics just own a soldering station and a whole lot of determination.

Thanks in advance
      Greg

• By astronomer2002
      I am selling a JMI focus motor for Meade SCT's.
      It has a replacement controller as the original was lost many years ago. Works fine on a LX200.
      Asking £40 for complete unit and controller plus £5 if you need it posted.

*****************   SOLD   ******************

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.