Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

IC1396 Elephant Trunk


Recommended Posts

Finally!!!

it is now dark enough and clear enough up here at 60° N, and surprisingly most things worked last night when the sky cleared after midnight. Indeed, it was really dark and clear, but unfortunately I forgot to bring our my new Sky Quality Meter. After being out of touch with astrophoto for 5 months, just finding all bits and pieces and remember all the procedures can be stressful - so I started with something easy.

I never gone for IC1396 before and any comments and suggestions are welcome

ES 127ED on EQ8 in obsy. Finderguider. Canon EOS 60Da at ISO1600, 18 x 10 min

IMG1741-60PS7sign.jpg

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pat. I have noticed that this is a favorite among narrowband imagers, but I think it looks quite good also in RGB. I played it safe last night to increase the chance of getting data, so I used the DSLR rather than my mono CCD. I need some time to warm up and get everything working before starting with the CCD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Olly!

I had no more Ha than the 60Da collected, so this may be almost what it would look like if human eyes would get close to it one day (which may take a while since it is 2400 light years away). I worked a bit more on the contrast after my excitement waking up this morning and finally having data to work on, so here is a slightly revised version:

IMG1741-60PS7contrastSign.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice strong colours and well presented iamge.  Only thing i would query is your focus or your star management during process there are a couple of doubles in that image (one in the trunk and the larger one to the upper right) but there are merging into a single star.

If you can control this issue and tighten up a little it will improve the overall feel.  If it is focus issue and not processing then sorting will also reveal/capture more data across the whole image.

Paddy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-10-09 at 11:51, PatrickGilliland said:

Some nice strong colours and well presented iamge.  Only thing i would query is your focus or your star management during process there are a couple of doubles in that image (one in the trunk and the larger one to the upper right) but there are merging into a single star.

If you can control this issue and tighten up a little it will improve the overall feel.  If it is focus issue and not processing then sorting will also reveal/capture more data across the whole image.

Paddy

Thanks for the advice Paddy! I re-checked the subs (I post one here) to see if I burned out the stars during processing, but the star size is the same. I do not think that it is focus (since there are many faint stars in there that are quite small - could that happen if I am out of focus?). My thought is that I burnt out those bright stars (flooded the neighboring wells on the chip) with my 10 min exposures, and I need to take some short exposures to blend in and save the double stars next time the sky clears and the moon is gone.

IMG_1755.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks for the advice Paddy! I re-checked the subs (I post one here) to see if I burned out the stars during processing, but the star size is the same. I do not think that it is focus (since there are many faint stars in there that are quite small - could that happen if I am out of focus?). My thought is that I burnt out those bright stars (flooded the neighboring wells on the chip) with my 10 min exposures, and I need to take some short exposures to blend in and save the double stars next time the sky clears and the moon is gone.

 

You may also find that adding Ha will help solve - stars will be tighter in that channel and you can will impact the size (reduce) in HALRGB.

Paddy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the stars could use some attention either in aquisition or processing - I have no idea how though :-)

I really like the blue glow and contrast with the trunk detail - and the high saturation on the red works well too

David

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David_L said:

I agree the stars could use some attention either in aquisition or processing - I have no idea how though :-)

I really like the blue glow and contrast with the trunk detail - and the high saturation on the red works well too

David

Thanks David!

I am quite pleased with it (my non-AP friends on Facebook love it since they do not know that I mistreated some double stars). I think the only solution is, like always, to get more data, and in this case some short exposure data.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.