Narrowband

Eqmod polaralignment.

redfox1971

Hi.So am I useing eqmod polar alignment correct,first off when mount is switched on and parked in the home position so no way of seeing Polaris through the mount  do I swing the telescope to the east or west by hand so I can see Polaris or use the motors.Maybe I should sync on Polaris  with camera before useing motors to place mount in right place to see through mounts eyepiece then go through the alignment routine?.Also when rotating mount in  Ra to place circle over Polaris can I rotate which ever direction closest to the star?. confused big time.Forgot to say it's a eq6 mount with Williams optics star71 mounted.

51 minutes ago, chrisshillito said:

If you're using the EQMOD polar alignmen routine then use EQMOD to move the DEC axis until you can see through it.

Chris.

Hi Chris so when eqmod polaralignment routine gets to the part when you have to rotate in Ra till circle is over the star can  I slew either east or west as at the moment I am selecting the nine o'clock position and slewing west which is a long way till circle is over star and cables end up wrapped around mount twice?.

Red fox - are you referring to the EQMOD polar alignment tool.  As I recall the first time you set this up you start out with the mount in the home position and then change the Dec position to horizontal so you can see Polaris. 

Here's a link to a useful video explaining how to set up and use the EQMOD polar alignment. 

14 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

This should help you....

PolarScopeAlignment.pdf

That's a clear written guide, Skipper Billy. 

What's useful about using the EQMOD routine is that once set up it moves the Dec axis for you to provide a clear view of Polaris.  

Having tried many of the PA methods over the years the EQMOD method has become my default method. 

8 hours ago, redfox1971 said:

Hi Chris so when eqmod polaralignment routine gets to the part when you have to rotate in Ra till circle is over the star can  I slew either east or west as at the moment I am selecting the nine o'clock position and slewing west which is a long way till circle is over star and cables end up wrapped around mount twice?.

I don't see how you managed to get the cables wrapped around the mount twice - to put the reticule in any position should only require a movement of 180 degrees max (in either direction). You don't have to move west, if east is shorter use that - or use the 12 o clock / 6 o clock starting positions if they make things easier - it makes no difference, so long as EQMOD knows where its starting from it will move the reticule to the correct place.

Chris

37 minutes ago, chrisshillito said:

A Later version of that particular EQMOD Project document can be found on our website.

EQMOD Project: Documentation and FAQs

Chris.

Thanks, Chris. I've only just realised in my typically dunderhead way that it was you posting in this thread.  Many thanks for your superbly clear videos and other learning material on the EQMOD project that I (and many others) have benefited from over the years.  

Archived