Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way image.

I've just been down in deepest darkest Cornwall for 4 nights and although the weather prohibited nocturnal activity of the outdoor variety for 3 nights, Tuesday was stunning.

I took this outside our accommodation before going somewhere totally dark. There were lights around but even so you could see the sparkle of the Milky Way with the naked eye so I got the camera out for a quick image. This was 15x30s exposures at 18mm on the D3200 and I was quite impressed. A quick run through DSS with some bias and darks,a little stretch in Photoshop and I have a good result I feel.

I know it's got all sorts wrong with it, I overcooked it at 30s exposures hence the small size to hide the streaky stars. I reckon I could process some more out of it too but I like it anyhoo.

More images to follow once I get to the good stuff.

Milky Way small.png

I did a bit more processing and pulled out some more detail. It's not full size again because it's not pretty but I like the look. Also, despite the streaky mess you can just about discern some nice features, the Garnet star, North America Nebula, Elephant's trunk, Andromeda Galaxy to name a few. Not bad for a quick 5 minute job on a fixed tripod.

Milky Way segment 4.png

Archived