stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

Hi SGL,

I had a very successful Summer holiday at Ollys, where I began collecting data for Mosaic number 3. While we also captured some single panel shots, the main part of the work was done on the Dual Tak rig. At one stage we did have 4 cameras running, although one was just piggy backing on a mount taking DSLR widefield shots, so I was able to let it run on infinity focus, and no guiding or PC involvement necessary.

Anyway, I collected 100 hours of Luminance in a 5x5 panel 530mm format. I gave more overlap than I had previously, as the Cartes Du Ciel program looked like I could get away with it. The frames stitched almost perfectly which was a treat. The last two had some issues which made fixes very time consuming. So here is a little teaser of what it looks like. I only very lightly stretched this in PI with the Histogram tool, as that is my preferred method before stitching. This can go a lot further and will later on. However for now here is what the starting point looks like. There is a dust bunny in the top right that needs fixing. That's another story though. Ever seen a dust bunny move between flat exposures!? And it was not an insect trapped under the light panel. Cue the X files music.

Tom.

Cassiopeia Lum SGL Post.jpg

• Like 22
35 minutes ago, toxic said:

this is rather nice  i love the mono and look forward to the color 

Thanks guys. I was wondering how much colour will actually be in the final pic. The pac-man stands out but I m not expecting extensive nebulae in the final image. There is deep Ha in there too. However there is the 1m data of certain parts we did this summer to drop in, and a breaking wave, so maybe it ll sparkle in the end. But yes I think it's possible that this may look best in B/W. We ll know in a year or two ? 

Tom. 

• Like 1

That looks really great and is an unusual choice for an ultra widefield, which makes the result so much more interesting. The composition works well, too, with the nice strong Pacman at the bottom and then the dust structures fanning out in the top. I guess you can happily present it either way up since from mid northern latitudes we often perceive Cass to be either a W or an M depending on which way we're facing as we look up.

Olly

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

Looking great so far Tom, seems youve already picked up the Y cas nebulae too :) Not sure whether you have to place some sort of control on Navi so they dont get swamped by it.

Thanks Rob. Is that a typo? I do t know what Navi is. 

Olly it ll definetly be a "W" for me. You re right about the framing, the top dark nebula should balance w out the wave and paceman. 

2 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Thanks Rob. Is that a typo? I do t know what Navi is. 

Olly it ll definetly be a "W" for me. You re right about the framing, the top dark nebula should balance w out the wave and paceman. 

Navi is the bright star next to IC59 and 63 (its also called gamma cassiopeiae) :) depending on what star chart youre looking at.

Terrific.  Really looking forward to the finsihed version.  I've spent the last 2-3 weeks working on the Pacman and it is fun to see it in context.  (I always wonderd where it was.) :icon_jokercolor:

On 2 October 2016 at 00:31, gnomus said:

Terrific.  Really looking forward to the finsihed version.  I've spent the last 2-3 weeks working on the Pacman and it is fun to see it in context.  (I always wonderd where it was.) :icon_jokercolor:

And the ET or Owl suprised me.  I did not realise it was so big, bright and even as to where it was. 

On 1 October 2016 at 19:30, Uranium235 said:

Navi is the bright star next to IC59 and 63 (its also called gamma cassiopeiae) :) depending on what star chart youre looking at.

Ah ok. I only know it as Gamma Cass. ?