Narrowband

Inside PixInsight Book by Warren Keller

FLO

In his new book Inside PixInsight Warren Keller reveals, in a practical easy to follow manner, how to improve your digital images using PixInsight software. 

Warren Keller is a published astro-imager (APOD, Sky & Telescope and Astronomy magazines) and teacher of image processing. He has written extensively on the subject and is four-time Sky & Telescope author. Keller has also produced the definitive commercial video tutorial series on PixInsight. 

sprgr_9783319256801_1.jpg

I bought the hard copy.  Nice to have the book to one side of the computer working through it.

9/10 - I am very impressed with it and am learning loads.  Would have been a good idea to have included some examples on the website and worked though them in the book.

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I reckon one really good processing idea learned in a month is good going. That may be an age thing as well!

Olly

As someone is not very patient with things like this, it has been hard, but you do quickly learn that trying to rush astrophotography just makes it all just a whole lot more painful.... slow and steady...

If Astronomy has taught me anything - it is patience!

I am enjoying the book - seems well laid out, interesting and pitched just right for me (neither numpty nor expert).

Its coming on holiday with me although I wont have access to PI whilst away to practise what I have  learned.

Just got a copy of this myself. Working through the pre processing stages. Have been using PI for just about a year now and the book is refining my techniques. Also explains the why rather than just the how, which I find good. Once you understand what is going on, it makes it easier to try new things without just trial and error (which can be fun sometimes). Cloudy nights from now on will be spent reworking all those old images with new found techniques. First impressions are promising. Also learned a few things which I never knew existed so getting more value for money from the investment in the software. 

Richard. 

• 1 month later...

Marky, I promise you- I 'm the last guy you want to sort out the clouds- they follow me wherever I go! Thanks again for the kind words, I did, and continue to work very hard to do the best job I can. 

Hi Warren

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the book - at long last a demystification of Pixinsight !!!

I read it from cover to cover on holiday and made many notes as I went along to practise when I got home and within hours my reprocessing of old data was much better than my first attempts.

I am now going back to the book again and again for specific information - my memory isnt what it once was !

My copy is now looking quite tatty - but that surely the sign of a good book ?!

It is well laid out, logical, written in a style that even I can understand, comprehensive and well thought out.

Well done and THANK YOU !!!!

I must say a big thank you to Warren. I bought this book a few weeks ago and got a trial version of PixInsight (need to save for the full version now but I'm sold on it). My exercise was to use data for an image that I had already done (and was pleased with) and re-process in PixInsight whilst working through the book.

My starting image of M33 - The Triangulum Galaxy, done with Nebulosity and other bits and pieces looked like this: 

http://www.astrobin.com/269625/0

Just using this book and following things along I produced something I think is far superior (although a lot more work to get there but well worth the effort). The end result was this:

http://www.astrobin.com/269625/C

I'm sure that things could be improved further still, but I need to experiment a lot more with Pixinsight, plus there are still a lot of topics on processing that I still need to read in the book. I'm only 1/3rd or so of the way through it.

I'm a great admirer of Warren the imager and Warren the communicator, so despite my affection for Photoshop this book will be my Christmas present from Madame Chrétien-Penrice this year. (Still hoping for a good single malt as a stocking filler though.... :evil4:)

Olly

• 3 months later...

Archived