Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

alacant

elephant's trunk: where to aim

Hi everyone. I'm wondering where best to aim for this. I'd like to have a go close up with my 760mm telescope. It doesn't show in CDC but the FOVs are as follows with 400 and 760mm telescopes. It looks like the star I highlighted is associated with the nebula but I'm not sure. Am I close? TIA and clear weekend skies to all.

Capture.JPG

You can get CDC to display DSO images as well as just stars (can't remember exact method but the help files will sort you out) so if you use those as well it will help you with your exact aim.

Hi

I would find it pretty dangerous to just frame like that, without really having the real picture visible. Mostly its about including some small structure you really still want in the image, (or excluding a large star) - adapting rule of thirds and those kind of things, that i would not be able to do with CDC's approximation on shapes. I'd advise you to use a software that lets you frame a little more accurately (for example SGP, but you wouldn't just get that software just for the framing of course). 

If you can get CDC to display DSO images properly, even better (no additional cost). If you have a Solving software, you can also take a picture from the internet, solve it and get your coordinates like that.

I take a tremendous amount of time to frame correctly. As i'll be spending days if not weeks on that target. If i make a mistake in framing, i'd be very angry with myself to then have to make a mosaic out of it :)

Kind regards, Graem

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wornish said:

Not sure

Now that is nice. Not only does it give the orientation and fov, I can get the centre coordinates to solve to. Wonderful.

Capture.JPG