Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

elephant's trunk: where to aim

alacant

Hi everyone. I'm wondering where best to aim for this. I'd like to have a go close up with my 760mm telescope. It doesn't show in CDC but the FOVs are as follows with 400 and 760mm telescopes. It looks like the star I highlighted is associated with the nebula but I'm not sure. Am I close? TIA and clear weekend skies to all.

Capture.JPG

Hi

I would find it pretty dangerous to just frame like that, without really having the real picture visible. Mostly its about including some small structure you really still want in the image, (or excluding a large star) - adapting rule of thirds and those kind of things, that i would not be able to do with CDC's approximation on shapes. I'd advise you to use a software that lets you frame a little more accurately (for example SGP, but you wouldn't just get that software just for the framing of course). 

If you can get CDC to display DSO images properly, even better (no additional cost). If you have a Solving software, you can also take a picture from the internet, solve it and get your coordinates like that.

I take a tremendous amount of time to frame correctly. As i'll be spending days if not weeks on that target. If i make a mistake in framing, i'd be very angry with myself to then have to make a mosaic out of it :)

Kind regards, Graem

Archived