sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Wide angle Veil in bicolor - 12 hours exposure with QHY5L-II-M

The veil Nebula, one of my favorites! I've previously captures this one, but felt i had a lot to improve.
This is another attempt on capturing it and consist of a good mix of data captured over several nights. Finally i feel like i'm starting to get somewhere with this target! :)

It's all captured with the QHY5L-II-M camera, unguided with a 50mm F/1.8 and a 135mm F/3.5 lens. Both are old manual Olympus OM lenses.

Exposure:
10x 10 min OIII - 50mm F/1.8 (edit: F/2.8, not 1.8)
15x 10 min Ha - 50mm F/1.8 (edit: F/2.8, not 1.8)
4-part mosaic, total 254x 2 min Ha - 135mm F/3.5

Total exposure is 12 hours 38 minutes. Mainly it's Ha exposure though, and i'm looking forward to capturing more OIII as well at a longer focal length - but for now i'm really happy with the result! :)

veil bi-color verson 3 akam-sgl-print.jpg

Edited by Jannis
10x 10 min OIII - 50mm F/1.8 (edit: F/2.8, not 1.8) 15x 10 min Ha - 50mm F/1.8 (edit: F/2.8, not 1.8)
  • Like 6

That's an amazing result from a QHY5L-II-M. What capture software and adapters did you use? I have the same camer that I only ever use for guiding. As I have a couple of lenses kicking around, I might kit it out for wide field too. Especially if I can get an image like that with it. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Edited by Maximidius

Thanks guys! :)

I forgot to mention, that over half of the subs are taken during the full moon.
I honestly never expected to make this kind of pictures from a cheap planetary/guide-camera. It opens up a whole new area for me, and it also enables me to capture while it's slightly windy. 

Maximidius, i use APT for capturing as i found it most easy to use. Only issue i have is that, regardless what computer i use, if i change the camera settings (gain for example), i need not only to reconnect the camera from APT, but restart the program completly. Camera works without restarting, but new settings are not taken into use. However this also goes for PHD/PHD2, so it might be an ASCOM iussue, i don't know? Either way, changing settings and restart program always works. :)

As for the setup, with the QHY5L-II-M i use a c-mount to EF adapter, and then again a OM to EF adapter. This way i can use both my old (very old, from 70-80's) Olympus OM lenses and my Canon EF and EFs lenses. 
I'm using a homemade dew-heater that i simply tape onto whichever lens i decide to use for the night.
A homemade peltier cooler for the QHY5L-II also helps lowering the camera temp by ~12-15c (it can cool much more, but at a low power i exclude any vibrations from teh cooling fan).

I use standard 2" Ha and OIII filters in front of the lens with step-down rings. Be awere if you don't capture narrowband you will want a UV/IR block filter in front of the lens as you won't be able to attach the 1,25" filter between the camera and the lens adapter. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alan4908
      A second attempt at the Witch’s Broom Nebula (NGC6960), this time in narrowband. It took me 3.5 months to acquire the data, which was caused by a combination of poor UK weather and the partial obstruction by trees at my location.
      Although imaged in narrowband, I tried to go for realistic looking colours so started with Ha mapped to red and OIII mapped to blue with a synthetic green generated from a Ha/OIII mix.  After a few hue adjustments, I ended up with a colour image which mainly gave blue/reddish stars and nebula. I found that detail could be boosted by creating a super luminance image from the individually stacked narrow band stacks and then deconvolving the result which I then blended into the colour result via Pixinsight’s LRGB process. The image represents 16.5 hours integration time.
    • By alan4908
      A second attempt at the Witch’s Broom Nebula (NGC6960), this time in narrowband. It took me 3.5 months to acquire the data, which was caused by a combination of poor UK weather and the partial obstruction by trees at my location. Anyway, better late than never....
      Although imaged in narrowband, I tried to go for realistic looking colours so started with Ha mapped to red and OIII mapped to blue with a synthetic green generated from a Ha/OIII mix.  After a few hue adjustments, I ended up with a colour image which mainly gave blue/reddish stars and nebula. I found that detail could be boosted by creating a super luminance image from the individually stacked narrow band stacks and then deconvolving the result which I then blended into the colour result via Pixinsight’s LRGB process.
      The image below was taken with my Esprit 150 and represents 16.5 hours integration time.

LIGHTS: Ha: 15, OIII: 18 x 1800s; DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.
    • By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By MartinB
      This has been a bit of a project.  Last year I worked out that my 200mm Canon F2.8 lens and ASI1600 would frame the whole of the Veil complex quite nicely.  I captured Ha and OIII data for the east and west nebulae with a Tak FSQ 106 and added this into the widefield image.  Although the Tak data had to be shrunk down it did add a bit of extra resolution where it was needed.  
      The difficulty for me has been the processing.  I have found it really difficult to tease out the faint wisps of detail and have tried the usual routines of micro contrast adjustments using curves along with Scott Rosen's Screen blend/mask inversion method but the results weren't great owing to the close proximity of faint and bright nebulosity.  I'd heard about the PI process tool for removing stars, Starnet, so loaded this and had a rare foray into PI.  This proved very helpful.  It was a luminence created from Ha and OIII using the 200mm lens with the Tak data mixed in.  Then the starless layer was added in PS with the screen blend mode at 50% opacity.  The nebulosity detail was so well preserved I didn't need a mask.  After blending I reduced the stars a bit more using the starless layer again and darken as the blend at 50%.  I should really unleash some of the stars to add a bit of "punch" but I've wrestled with this data enough for now!  I plan to use it further as I look deeper into the Gorgon that is PixInsight!
      Telescope: Tak 106 for E and W veils.  Canon 200mmL lens
      Camera: ZWO ASI 1600 pro mono cmos, Gain 150, offset 50
      Filters: Baader 7nm OIII and Ha
      E+W Veil 10x30 mins each channel for each nebula.  Whole complex 50x5mins for each channel
      Captured with SGP, calibrated, aligned and combined with PI, processed mainly with PS but PI for Starnet.  Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green

• By Dinglem
      My first DSO with my new scope (Esprit 100ED) taken over a couple of nights this week with a modified 450d. It was stacked with only a little bit of processing in AA6, 42*300s subs, darks, bias and flats all captured using APT. PA was done using Sharpcap Pro and guiding is with a ZWO 60mm guidescope and an ASI224MC. I dither between each sub so don't know whether I should stop using darks, also I need to sort out my guiding as it could be a lot better. My processing skills need to be improved a lot, I'm considering getting Pixinsight,  I've seen lots of great pictures using it, how easy/hard is it to learn the basics to get a reasonable result from? Here it is let me know what you think good or bad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.