Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RPi3B ... new mb for lappy ... what to do? ...

Demonperformer

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look carefully at your full sized SD. Turn it over and at the end opposite the contacts there should be a micro SD card inserted into a slot in the end. You need to extract it with your thumbnail.

I need an emoticon with a light bulb going on!

I see where the confusion has arisen. I thought the "SD card adapter slot" was referring to the slot on the RPi motherboard where the SD card goes, which is empty. I now see that the full-sized card does indeed have the micro card inside it. Re-reading your posts, Gina, they now make perfect sense to me ... I was obviously wearing my "dumb head" yesterday! Email sent to farnell confirming this, and apologising for my error.

Everyone, please ignore all negative comments I have made about farnell - they have delivered the CORRECT item in a timely manner.

Thanks.

Right, back to getting the laptop running Linux ...

Downloaded the coreplus version from here and used UUI to burn the ISO onto my usb stick ... easy as pi [groan!].

Next thing is to try firing up the laptop with the usb stick installed and depressing the 'U' key - which is supposed to force the laptop to boot from the usb stick * ...

Is that the local SAS (Supine Aerobatics Squadron) I hear ... ?

* I do not know if this is a "universal" method, but googling said it was right for my toshiba machine.

Right, have been unable to get it to run on either or my laptops.

The Toshiba will give me the option to start using a variety of devices (none of which is the USB) and whatever I try, it just goes ahead and starts in windoze (XP). There is an option to fire it up from the cd drive, so I could go and buy some cds and burn the iso on one of those. However, I did see another way of getting it to boot from the USB on the web - will go searching again.

I can get into the Samsung bios, but there is no option to alter the boot priority, so again it goes back into windoze (7). I remember seeing something about having to "diable fast bios" - whatever that is. Again, more googling required.

Right, apparently I wasn't actually getting into the Toshiba BIOS, which I achieve by pressing ESC for three seconds as soon as I power-up and then F1. I can boot from a HDD, FDD, LAN, CD-ROM (in any order), but not USB. Looks like this is going to require a CD unless I install Linux as a second system on the HDD. Found this page on how to install Ubuntu onto this machine (Tiny core should follow the same general procedure presumably) and it says I should update the BIOS. Have spent over an hour going round and round in the Toshiba website (and others) to find the answer ... I haven't.

However, I did find a Technical Support number for Toshiba UK on Facebook ... Great. "The person you are trying to reach is not available"!

I think I can safely say that I have reached the point where "Tomorrow is another day" :hmh:

As it's Friday evening you might have to wait until Monday for Toshiba Support.  I would suggest a dual boot setup though.  If you do, be a bit careful or you might lose your Windows OS on that machine.  OTOH with a little bit of care a dual boot setup is not that difficult to do and has distinct advantages.

OK, currently examining the possibility of a dual-boot system on my Samsung laptop. Initial test is telling me that I have 83/217 GB free on my 'C' drive, so at first glance, I should be able to shrink that (using Win 7 Disk Management tool) by (say) 16GB. Then I would have some space to install (say) Jessie. AFAICS I am only going to want the OS, Kstars and Ekos on here, so 16GB should be more than ample. The rest will be handled by the RPi.

The problem, of course, is going to be if I have files that are stuck immovably in weird parts of the current partition (like the end - really helpful place for windoze to dump files *NOT*). I have found this page which may help, even though it is nominally about vista (someone once told me "if it will work on vista, it will work on windoze 7 - the reverse is not guaranteed"!).

Anyway, it is currently analyzing and I may be "jumping at shadows" ... we'll see.

Well, I could certainly try that ... I'm sure must be stuff I don't need (like windoze7! - no, I do need that for polemaster). But I don't know where any of it actually is, and that seems to be crux of the problem - that it has only got 5+GB that it can partition out of the 83GB that is currently free.

I did a Win7 defrag and, after that, it ended up telling me that my C: drive was only 22% fragmented, and seemed to think this was an achievement! Mind you, the 'system' drive (which I did not realise was different from the C: drive anyway) ended up being 56% fragmented, so I suppose, compared to that, 22% is quite an achievement.

According to what I have read, this could be down to a thing called an MTF file, which windoze tends to dump at the end of a drive and then refuse to move. The solution is to disable a load of system files and then do a Total Disk Boot Time Defrag using Perfectdisk and then restoring the disabled system files. And I won't lie, that sounds scary.

15 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Thanks, Nick.

I think it could be a case of keeping all the files on a separate drive and copying across the ones I need for each session.

I had an old 128GB first gen SSD laptop drive, using an SATA-USB it works nicely as an SSD/longer term storage and my C2 eMMC then runs everything else.

On 15/10/2016 at 16:58, NickK said:

Astrometry.net indices are 32GB..

I've been giving this a bit more detailed thought.

I see most of my imaging being done with the 1600MM for the foreseeable future (although I guess I may use the canon for something? not sure what - may even try and sell it - or even swap it for an unmodified canon - I digress). This gives me 6 setups:

50mm lens (21°x15°) using 41xx series [342MB]
100mm lens (11°x7°) using 41xx series [342MB]
200mm lens (7°x4°) using 41xx series [342MB]
ZS71 + FF/FR (182’x137’) 4212..4213, allow 4211..4214 [15 MB]
8SE + 0.5xFR (61’x45’) 4209..4210, allow 4208..4211 [145 MB]
8SE alone (31’x23’) 4207..4208, allow 4206..4209 [589 MB]

Even if I just loaded all the files for all the setups, rather than just loading the correct files for each setup as I was using it [which may, admittedly, be a bit of a hassle], this would require the 41xx series + 4206..4214, making a total of only 965MB* rather than 32GB, so I still think my 16GB card will be ample for my requirements.

* This includes the NGC & IC files, which are included in the 342MB for the 41xx series

Thanks.

Hello folks! Been reading this thread with great interest. Ekos shall be available on Linux, Windows, and soon OSX in addition to KState Lite on Android (not yet released). INDI Library only available on Linux and there are no plans to port it to other OSes as this would take a lot of work. I plan to release an updated version of Ekos in about 1-2 weeks and hopefully the Windows/OSX versions would be available by then. KStars Lite is hopefully less than 4 weeks away and can control all your devices directly from your Android phone/tablet. 

Will the Windows versions be available for 32-bit machines? - The main reason I am working towards creating a double OS system on my laptop is because the version of Kstars on the website only works on 64-bit machines. If Kstars & Ekos were available for 32-bit windows, I would keep the laptop as it is, as this would then be able to send commands to the RPi, which could hold all the INDIlib stuff (and run on Linux).

Thanks.

Rethink: that would be counter-productive. There is no point in introducing any more windoze into this exercise than is necessary. True, I will need it to run Polemaster (atm), but then I will be able to reboot into Linux and run everything from that.

So, two initial tasks:
(1) Install INDI library on the Pi (it came with NOOBS, which contains Raspian) - would be a good idea to check that the Pi is working anyway - remembering to include the upgrade instruction
(2) Sort out the partitioning on the laptop

Then use Dave's code to get the machines talking to one another.

Then I think I will pause for breath - assuming there have been no major problems before that!

Thanks.

Just a word of caution here - make sure you make copies of any config files before you edit them. I'm not 100% sure the changes I posted work. It worked on mine but Gina had some problems with it. If you make copies you can always undo it if you have problems. Also make sure that if you do give it a static ip that no other device on your network is using the same address - that will stop both of them from acessing the network. I use The Angry IP Scanner to scan my network to see what addresses are in use.

Archived