Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RPi3B ... new mb for lappy ... what to do? ...

Demonperformer

INDI library and all dependencies installed followed by sudo apt-get update which always seems to be recommended.  Now I'm using Win32DiskImager on my Win7 laptop to read the SD and save to a file for backup.  Later crashes can be recovered by restoring from the backup.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the next stage is to run a client machine.  Two choices - Linux Mint desktop or laptop.  I've seen that the INDI Library has the required drivers already installed :)  I have the INDI server running on the RPi 3 with ASI camera driver and the ASI178MM connected to a USB port.

Terminal on Pi shows

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ indiserver -v -m 100 indi_asi_ccd
2016-10-01T11:55:12: startup: indiserver -v -m 100 indi_asi_ccd 
2016-10-01T11:55:12: Driver indi_asi_ccd: pid=1025 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2016-10-01T11:55:12: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2016-10-01T11:55:13: Driver indi_asi_ccd: snooping on Telescope Simulator.EQUATORIAL_EOD_COORD
2016-10-01T11:55:13: Driver indi_asi_ccd: snooping on Telescope Simulator.TELESCOPE_INFO
2016-10-01T11:55:13: Driver indi_asi_ccd: snooping on CCD Simulator.FILTER_SLOT
2016-10-01T11:55:13: Driver indi_asi_ccd: snooping on CCD Simulator.FILTER_NAME

I think I'll use the laptop and install KStars/Ecos as that has it's own screen and I'm using the HDMI screen I use for PixInsight on the RPi and I would like to see if the RPi shows any activity.

Posted from RPi

Installed Kstars/Ekos on Linux Mint laptop and been looking round it/them.  Trying to find how to connect to RPi running the INDI server over the LAN but not found it.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

If I unplug the Ethernet cable it should work over WiFi - she says hopefully :D

Posted from my Pi

It didn't :(  And I just can't get WiFi working whatever I try!! :(  ifconfig shows the wlan but it won't connect.  I tried a WiFi dongle too and that won't work either.  eth0 (wired connection) is fine.  The icon on the desktop top bar say no wifi devices detected or something like that.

I guess this is a totally separate matter from INDI etc. but I will want WiFi working eventually.

Back to astro stuff then...   Wondering what's the best way to connect Ekos over the LAN to INDI on the Pi.  Or rather how to conne4ct in any way at all.  Can't find anything in KStars or Ekos.  Been searching the tutorials and Google but can't find anything.

57 minutes ago, Gina said:

It didn't :(  And I just can't get WiFi working whatever I try!! :(  ifconfig shows the wlan but it won't connect.  I tried a WiFi dongle too and that won't work either.  eth0 (wired connection) is fine.  The icon on the desktop top bar say no wifi devices detected or something like that.

I guess this is a totally separate matter from INDI etc. but I will want WiFi working eventually.

Sometimes a reboot is needed after pulling out the wired connection. 

I'm not familiar with it unfortunately, I guess you enter the ip address and port of your indi server somewhere in the setup.

To get the wifi working try removing the config from my post and set it up using the RPi desktop utility.

I must be missing something - I can't see how the remote connection is set up :(  Maybe I should give up for tonight and see if I can see it in the morning.  As they say "tomorrow is another day".  BTW forecast is for clear sky after around 1am so am I staying up for it?  NO, I'm not!  It's no good trying to do any more imaging with the dreaded Windoze!!!  And that late at night everything will go wrong anyway!

I really don't know what's the matter with me these days - I just don't seem to be able to get WiFi working on my RPi 3.  Followed various guides etc. and seem to have configuration files correctly set up but wlan just won't connect.  Both the internal wlan and a USB dongle are recognised but neither will "up" ie. connect.  Wired connection is fine (eth0) both for internet via the router and for TeamViewer.

I also don't seem to be able to get remote Ekos connection from Linux laptop to RPi 3 running INDI server working - I just don't seem to be able to get my head round it! :(  And it's no better this morning than last night.

It looks like the Linux software should be able to do everything I want all in one go without lots of separate software apps as in windoze.  It all looks very good - if only I could get it to work. 

I dunno...  I've set up loads of computers for networking without much trouble in the past so why can't I do it now?  Have I just "lost it"?  All this setup stuff for the RPi looks perfectly simple but it doesn't work :(

Right then... to put my scientist/engineer hat on...  How do I sort out problems of things not working? Answer - divide and conquer viz. see if I can isolate the problem.  New brain?  Nope can't do that - have to use the one I've got for better or worse!!  Diagnosis mode - try different hardware - is something wrong with the RPi 3 card? It's possible so try a new one...

Back shortly...

Hi Gina

I obtained a Raspberry Pi3 recently and your thread has  inspired me to get Indi going on it.  Sorry to hear about your wifi.......  I installed Ubuntu Mate after a couple of false starts and this appeared to connect me to my home wifi no problem just like you would on a windows laptop using the networks icon and putting in your router's key.

I have downloaded the Indi library using a PPA by Jasem Mutlaq  https://launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa.  I am now thinking about the Indi server install - but it appears that the Indi library has all you need including drivers and server  - this statement is on  the Indi  website   - Included in the INDI Library for RPi are INDI servers, tools, and drivers.

Did you install the Indi Server separately ?

I guess I just need to install KSTARS/EKOS on my laptop as Clients and try and connect to the Pi.  I have only a windows laptop so not sure how to og about doing this.  I see you installed them on Linux mint - was this on a dedicated laptop or can you  install on a windows laptop ?

Hope this is of some use as well as asking questions and also hope you get your wifi working soon........

Ian

Thank you Ian :)  There are a few tutorials on installing KStars on a Windows 10 PC using VirtualBox as I recall.  This is how to run Linux apps on Windows.  I installed KStars/Ekos on a Linux Mint laptop.  I also have a Linux Mint desktop PC on which I run PixInsight.

I just followed the INDILib instructions and installed the lot on Raspbian, including server and all the drivers.  I also have Ubuntu Mate installed on another micro SD card in another RPi 3.  I think I installed INDI on that the same way you did.  I'll check.

ok Gina thanks.  I guess having a machine dedicated to Linux is the best approach  but perhaps I will experiment with Virtual box,  thanks for the info.

Wrt your wifi prob-weren't you able to connect as part of your Ubuntu Mate install as described ?  I didn't need to use an ethernet cable.

Ian

Archived