Narrowband

Hello All Stargazers

Periscope

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is ok - and yes I am female - cant you see my avater ( the little piccy next to my posts over on the left )

Actually Astro-Bunny would have been a good name as well :lol:

You could always tell the shop you messed up and they would take it back I am sure. If not I'd not worry too much cos the EQ5 Goto is a good old thing and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with it all.

I dropped the GoTo requirement from mine cos I wanted it to be a challenge but I have to admit sometimes I could really cope with a computer to deal with stuff for me :shocked:

Never mind Astro Babe (bunny), I should have enough to keep me happy with the GoTo, once I have mastered how to use it Knowing my luck, the first DSO I tune into, will probably see the scope do its dancing schedule before stoppping, right in line with that very large Conker Tree, blocking off my view to the South West. Behold, we have the Horsechestnut Nebula! :laughing3:

I will let you know what I have been viewing, after a few nights out in the garden, providing the weather is suitable.

Geoff

At the moment, I am sorting out my large shed/workshop, to make space to house my scope when not in use. Luckily, it is heated by a couple of low watage heaters, which keep it at around 15 to 20 degrees during the winter months.

Geoff

Welcome to SGL Geoff!

It'll be good to have somewhere to store your scope, but just remember that you get the best views when the air in the scope is about the same temperature as outside (no thermal air currents getting in the way). So somewhere that keeps your scope cold rather than warm in the winter will save 'cool down' time.

Helen

Hi Helen,

Blimey, it seems there are more lady astromoners than I imagined. I know what you mean Helen and thank's for pointing this out, as long as it keeps it from getting too cold, whilst stored is what I was referring too mainly, just to keep it in good condition.

Geoff

Jeff RV requested some photos of my model warships I built, but have now sold, to finance my Explorer 200P

MyModels004.jpg

Minesweeper HMS Iveston 1/48th Scale (1960)

WarshipDaySun8thJuly2007004.jpg

WW11 Aircraft Carrier HMS Victorious 1/96th Scale (1941)

MyModels001.jpg

Part Built WW1 Battleship HMS Iron Duke (1915)

SubSunday25thSeptember_0009.jpg

WW11 Type XX1 German U-Boat (1944)

Sad to have to part with them, after all the time I spent building them, but having to spend more time looking after my disabled wife, I havent sailed them for over 12 months. So I decided to sell them and go back to Astronomy which has always fascinated me ever since I had my forst telescope over thirty years ago.

Geoff

Hi Jeff,

It was 8ft long and 13" wide. It was hard to part with them, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to buy an 8" Explorer, which in fact arrived today. I just need to get the GoTo fitted and set up, but I think I will just give it a try on it's own later, just to see what It can show me. Trouble is though, I have no fine manual control with the mount, as its geared up for the GoTo Sync.

Geoff

Sods Law stated that because I got my new scope today, I wasn't going to have the pleasure to try it out. Far too much cloud, with just the odd glimpse of a star here and there. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Even the Moon which was just rising at around 11.30pm was hardly worth looking at as it too was shrouded by cloud. So I decided to put it away. I didn't realise how heavy the whole scope and mount was, until I tried to pick it up, so to be on the safe side, I took the weights off and scope and moved the tripod & mount on its own. The styrene packing blocks which came in the box, enable me to store the scope on the bench, in my workshop, (which has now become my astronomy room).so it wont get knocked.

Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow night will be better, although knowing my luck it will probably be raining!

Well it's 9.40pm or 21.40 and I am all set up for a reasonable nights viewing. The sky is 85% blue at the moment, with odd patches of cloud cover over Tamworth. Not rigged up for GoTo yet, but I hope to see what I can find once it's dark enough. I may stay up until about 4.00am if it stays clear.

I will give you a report on my first star gazing session, with my new Explorer 200. :D :blob4: :D :blob2: :D :blob:

Geoff

Hi Geoff, and welcome to SGL.

Coming from a Royal Navy family, I love the model warships.

HMS Iron Duke, battle of Jutland, as the 'flagship' of Admiral Jellico I believe.

My father had an ashtray made from the Teak of HMS Iron Duke.

Dave

Yes you are right, Iron Duke was the flagship of Admiral Jelicoe. Pity I never got to finish her really, but the guy who I sold it to, has built several good models, so I'm sure he'll make a good job of it.

Well I had a spell with my new scope last night, or should I say very early morning. I managed to have a good half hour viewing Jupiter before she set, with four moons visible, one to the left and three lined up on the right. Not sure which moon was which. Being rather low in the sky, didn't produce the best image of Jupiter, due to the haze, so I will have to wait until the nights get darker, before I can really have a good look. Spent a bit of time viewing the Moon, before calling it a night (day) as I was rather tired. All in all, not a bad session for my first, with the new scope.

Geoff

Thank you Doc! Yes I will enjoy my stay, for a very long time I hope. You are all a great bunch on here, so friendly and helpful. And, it's nice to know that help is not far away for newcomers to the hobby. :scratch:

Geoff

Thank's guys. I wouldn't say that Jupiter showed up to well from here Paul, as it is still a bit low for proper observation, but I just wanted to try out the scope and I was pleased with my first session with it.

I have yet to connect the GoTo equipment, when I get a suitable power pack. But one question I would like to know, which the user manual does not mention. Can I use the scopes drive motors with the GoTo handset, without actually programming the GoTo set up for what it is intended for, in other words could I just pan round with the scope, using the handset direction keys. There are no hand controls with the EQ5 Sync Mount, so fine movement cannot be aceived until the motors are connected.

Geoff

Archived