SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13. The Great Cluster in Hercules.

MARS1960

On the advice of many helpful forum members i have started imaging clusters as these are much more forgiving with an unmoddified DSLR.

Below (had to go for the best one first) is 2hr 27min on M13 using 60sec subs as guiding was not working.

CC very welcome as usual.

Thanks.

M13png.png

During processing I'd watch your black point very carefully. If you bring it in too far you 'black clip' the faint data which, in your case, would be the faint outlying stars.

Healthy, with lots of flat line left of the histogram peak and all faint data preserved:

healthy%20histogram-M.jpg

Black clipped with faint signal lost and a jet black flat sky (exaggerated for effect) with no flat line left of the histo peak:

unhealthy%20histogram-M.jpg

Olly

2 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Thanks Olly, i will hopefully get another go at this soon so will pay a bit more attention to that black point.

In my fiies I get an image assembled and then call the first step P1 (Processing 1.) This goes on till I get to about P23 at which point, out of ideas, I call it Final. A month later this will be Final 27 version 8C colour balance provisional .

You have it all to come...

:Dlly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

In my fiies I get an image assembled and then call the first step P1 (Processing 1.) This goes on till I get to about P23 at which point, out of ideas, I call it Final. A month later this will be Final 27 version 8C colour balance provisional .

I'm beginning to think i should have started this hobby 30 years ago :icon_biggrin:.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

A masterpiece, as they say, is never finished, merely abandoned. :)

Very nice image, well done!

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

During processing I'd watch your black point very carefully. If you bring it in too far you 'black clip' the faint data which, in your case, would be the faint outlying stars.

Healthy, with lots of flat line left of the histogram peak and all faint data preserved:

Olly

That's very interesting Olly; I have always been under the impression that you should move the black point to where the histogram starts to rise out of the flat line. I will have to go back and try reprocessing all my old pictures! :blink:

2 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Very nice image, well done!

That's very interesting Olly; I have always been under the impression that you should move the black point to where the histogram starts to rise out of the flat line. I will have to go back and try reprocessing all my old pictures! :blink:

This is often stated but is also often wrong. Not always wrong, but some targets have a significant amount of data recorded to the left of the histo peak and it is a shame to throw it away.

Olly

Archived