Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

moonman66

Best scope for close-up photos of the Moon.

Hi,  what's the best scope for close-up photos/video of the Moon ?

I read that the highest practical power worth going for is 300x due to atmospheric conditions etc, i also read that refractors are better resolution.

I'd like to photograph/video close-ups of crater edges, mountains etc ..

I'm pretty sure i should get a skywatcher due to all the good reviews and their price vs performance.

Thanks for  any help :)

Edited by moonman66

I'd say the 120ED. I have yet had chance to give it a try with my camera but I have seen some rather outstanding images took with the 120ED on SGL and the net in general. There is no beating a refractor for contrast and the closed tube design and relatively small aperture deals with seeing far better than some larger scopes.

Welcome to SGL BTW :)

Edited by spaceboy

If you want real close ups and detail within the real close-ups then you need resolution. Resolution increases with aperture but it depends what you want really. Most people taking his res shots of the moon use multiple images, stacked to capture the moments of good seeing at extremely high magnifications (well, actually, extremely long focal lengths). I'd wait for the lunar/planetary imagers to chip in but maybe this would get you started https://starizona.com/acb/ccd/advimagingplanet.aspx 

I'd recommend a lot of reading before you jump in but most seem to use 10" of aperture or more and work on focal ratios of f30 or more 

• Like 1

Check the link in my signature for a couple of Lunar mountain/ crater shots. They were taken using my Celestron 9.25" SCT at f/25. That's a focal length of close to 6 metres, so that is one option. There are others and I'm sure you will get a few answers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EMG
      Recently I bought a ZWO ASI178MM for planetary/lunar/deep-sky imaging and last weekend i had clear skies so I was able to capture videos of the moon in two panels. I have already processed the videos in AutoStakkert, I used 3x drizzle because I intend to print the image so now I have two 120MB TIFF images that i would like to combine in a two panel mosaic. I tried doing it in Hugin, a free panorama stitcher but the program crashes due to the file sizes being too large. I have searched for tutorials on using DynamicAlignment in PixInsight but it seems to me that i'll need a reference image to be able to create mosaics in PixInsight. Is there any way to go about this, I feel like this should be a pretty straightforward job but I am not very experienced in PI so I would really appreciate some advice.

I tried using DynamicAlignment as you can see in the attached screenshot but the result was just a cut version of the target image, aligned perfectly to the source image. It would be perfect if it didn't cut off the lower part of the target image.

• By Steenamaroo
      Hi all,
      I've been dabbling for about a year and am having a lot of fun.
      Nothing too serious and I don't have mega expectations but I'm starting to wonder if my images could be sharper and there's something I'm missing.

I'm attaching a picture which is the best 10% of a 3 minute video with 500d 'bolted' straight to the 200p f5 scope. No filters...no barlows...just camera straight on.
      It's sharpened and saturated after the fact so in every way this is the sharpest I can get it.
      I've always had the same issue whether it's with a single shot, stacks of shots, or stacked video.
      Views through the eyepieces (circle-T 12.5/25) are mega sharp!

I'm happy that collimation is very good and it was a remarkably clear night tonight.
      All in all I'd be pretty happy with this image (maybe over exposed a bit...) if the craters with shadows didn't make me want to rub my eyes.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

• By Dave Baxter
      Moon shot directly from my Celestron 8SE, April 6, 2020. ISO 200, 1/320 exposure with my Canon Rebel SL2.
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      At least some advantages to being furloughed.
      Skywatcher 130/650, 20mm EY, Celestron Smartphone mount, iPhone se.

• By ngwillym
      UPDATED  ALL SOLD
      I have too many Lunar Atlases, so it is time to say goodbye to some of them.
      All of these book are in very good - excellent condition and have hardly been used. All prices are postage paid to the UK. Payment by Paypal please - details on request
      1) Atlas of the Moon - Antonin Rukl 1996 published by Kalmback Publishing     £25 Sold - Thanks John
      2) Observing the Moon - Peter T. Wlasuk 2000 published by Springer           £12 Sold - thanks James
      3) The Hatfield SCT Lunar Atlas - edited by Jeremy Cook 2005 published by Springer      £20 Sold - Thanks Vin
      4) New Atlas of the Moon - Thierry Legault & Serge Brunier 2006 published by Firefly Books - note this is a large hard cover, spiral bound book     £15 Sold - thanks James
      5) Atlas of the Lunar Terminator - John E. Westfall 2000 published by Cambridge University Press £20 SOLD thanks Ade
      Thanks for looking
      Neil

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.