SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Home Observatory UK or PULSAR Dome?

sonof007

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/03/2017 at 18:03, malc-c said:

It might be the image, but it looks like you have a lot to do to get a level base as the ground appears to slope to the left.  Have you used a level on that shuttering ?

Yes  all level. no doubts about that. Almost done.

On 12/03/2017 at 18:03, malc-c said:

It might be the image, but it looks like you have a lot to do to get a level base as the ground appears to slope to the left.  Have you used a level on that shuttering ?

Hello Malcolm, The Shuttering was only temp in place to assist digging the hole. It was all levelled before cement went in :)  Kev

Hi Kev,

Looking good, well done. I am in a similar quandary as you were In at the start of the thread.

I would prefer a ROR obs so that I may see the majority of the sky, but a dome would make more sense due to shielding from lights. The downside being that the dome could be seen from the road and would stick out like a sore thumb ?

13 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Kev,

Looking good, well done. I am in a similar quandary as you were In at the start of the thread.

I would prefer a ROR obs so that I may see the majority of the sky, but a dome would make more sense due to shielding from lights. The downside being that the dome could be seen from the road and would stick out like a sore thumb ?

It's odd how some things 'stick out' and others go unnoticed.

Several neighbour's vast, white caravans come and go but we rarely notice.

When their white chickens got out we panicked! :happy7:

A white satellite dish could be seen across the fields from half a mile away.

It looked absolutely massive against the background greenery!

I wish I had advice on hiding "obvious" observatories.

I'm hiding mine, on stilts, in the back garden. :rolleyes:

What about converting a huge white caravan into a ROR?

Nobody would ever notice it was there!  :icon_clown:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Electrics, Desk and flooring all completed. Played about a bit today with setting up, if anybody has similar set up perhaps you can give me some guidance on the off set settings etc, I use SGPro.

18673215_1353977808024719_376453605810276812_o.jpg

18671627_1353389631416870_7114719529213832147_o.jpg

A friend recently converted a panel van into a camper. He's a great expert in all things DIY and a perfectionist. Before adding the inner lining and insulation he had the metal inside panels sprayed with a thin coat of foam-like stuff, largely for sound deadening but also to resist condensationand aid insulation. I wonder if it might be possible to do this to the inside of a dome? (I'd leave the walls so condensation would form harmlessly there.)

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I'd leave the walls so condensation would form harmlessly there.

I have often thought about putting a copper sheet thermally attached to one out side to act as a moisture grabber. With a drip tray and pipe underneath it to carry away the excess water.

I think I may have just invented a passive de-humidifier!

Regards Andrew

Archived