Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher MAK127 - No link to mount

Hi All,

I hope you are well.

Since I have downgraded motor and hand controller firmware I haven't seen the error message below.

Both Axes...No Response!

however I do experience something else:

During the Initialization (if it takes longer than usually) it throws this error message:

No link to mount. Stand alone mode.

And this is happening quite often, 1/3 of times I initialize my MAK.

Also the hand controller is hanging during operation.

1. The lights are lit but the keys stop responding and I have to power cycle the whole think again.

2. while slewing in one direction it can hang and continue slewing even if I release the button

Hand Controller firmware ver. 03.36

Database 3.28

Motor firmware ver. 02.08.95

So far my conclusion is that there must be something wrong with the wiring or there is insufficient Amps according to what people say here and there.

The thing is that I was always using these 8x Duracell rechargeable batteries since the beginning and I wasn't experiencing this erratic behavior.

Please advise.

Wiggle the connectors a bit to see if there is a poor contact. If you have a power supply available try that, the system seems voltage sensitive. I will check my firmware versions and get back to you.

Thanks xyz

I was slewing it for good 20min in any direction, while wiggling the connectors and pulling the cable (all indoors) and there was no issue. Just when I turned it on it wend to "No link to mount" thingy, but that's it, after that no hanging HC or rogue slewing. Strange.

The only worrying thing I have noticed is the noise of vertical motor, a wobbly noise.

Something wrong is happening with it while outdoors (temp? humidity?).

In a v3 HC I have v03.38.09 firmware and v2.09.85 motor controller firmware.

Why did you downgrade your firmware ?

The No link to mount message disappears and then it runs OK ?

You might be correct in your suspicion of the power - funny HC responses and funny motor noise. Can you check that the power pack is delivering the full voltage and that one cell has not started to fail. The two issues do sound a bit like an iffy voltage.

I have downgraded the HC firmware because I was getting this error message every so often:

Both Axes...No Response!

All my findings are in this topic:

When I get "no link to mount" I have to power cycle it.

I rely on 8x Duracell rechargeable batteries in stock battery enclosure.

Perhaps this motor firmware downgrade was unnecessary, but this was my first bet then I downgraded HC what has resolved "Both axes" error.

Usually recharegeables are 1.2v not 1.5v so it could be power related. I cannot see any mention of the voltage of Duracell AA rechargeable batteries. Equally I would have expected they could make a 1.5v rechargeable AA by now. So maybe Duracell have.

Just thinking that they may have sort of scrapped through initially but after a bit of use and have droped off in performance such that they now just do not quite make it.

Easy answer, or possible answer, is to visit a Poundland and buy 8 normal high power AA's that are 1.5v and give them a try. Sort of minimal cost and either proves or eliminates one aspect. I tend to run my goto's off of a bigger Lithium battery pack these days. The one I have is pretty flat, has more oomph behind it, lasts longer. It sits on the base held there by a bit of velcro. Only problem was/is I had to make up a small dc converter to get from the battery lead size to the scope size.

Do the Duracell's have a voltage printed on them anywhere?

I think you have found one of the culprits if not the main. The ones I have are Duracell 1.2V 2400mAh, so it is below specification.

I have just noticed on this enclosure that is says "1.5V AA size", but you have to face it against decent light to see it.

Ok so now I get the right batteries. Thank you for pointing this out.

I was going to ask you about your power solution for your GoTo.

Some people rely on stock solution, Lithium battery packs (as you have mentioned), some buy branded Celestron / Skywatcher power tanks, some get cheaper jump starters or even leisure batteries.

The problem is that I am not an electrician and I don't want to experiment and damage the electronics while trying to get a leisure battery work with my GoTo.

I have noticed that dew jeopardize my stargazing sessions and sooner than later I have to incorporate a dew heater.

The problem is that AA is a size specification, they came out as 1.5v originally and people got used to 1.5v being AA. However strictly it is not. When rechargeables emerged they made them the AA size but technology at the time only allowed 1.2v. And for whatever reason rechargeable AA's stuck at 1.2v, whereas the Alkaline's etc stuck to 1.5v. In effect 2 different battery specifications but the same physical size unit's.

You can get 10 AA plastic holders - Maplins - but then the 10 AA holder does not fit in the scope cavity.

Nothing is ever easy is it?

Pretty much EVERY goto issue I've ever come across has been power related in some way (certainly with skywatcher).

Either the power supply itself or the lead. 

Sounds like you might have a solution, hope so! 

Ant

Hi again,

Please can someone elaborate on a hardware solution with a bigger electric capacity?

I have mentioned about a dew heater but on the other hand I don't want to spend £120 on a branded Celestron/SkyWatcher power tank which has a crap battery anyway.

I can see that people make their own enclosures to stop damp from going inside.

Archived