Altair Astro Starwave 152 weight

Just curious, its stated in the blurb that the scope is 11.2kg and when I lifted it something seemed off, I decided to check mine and it was 9.0kg.

Wondering if my scales are way out (lol) or are the original Altair specs wrong.

Could you please check yours and post the findings to settle this?

152 as bought.jpeg

4 minutes ago, moriniboy said:

Great thanks everyone, I think Altair need to revisit their blurb as 11.2kg will probably put people off especially if they have smaller mounts.

That is very interesting! I had certainly been a little put off by the weight, but will definitely consider one of these now, they seem like excellent scopes, and I do like the red :) 

Hi Stuart,

Yes, this is a very good scope given the price. On the issue of weight, the real issue is how the weight is distributed on the scope plus the accessories, if evenly done it will put less strain on the mount. Altair Astro state on their website the following....

At only 760mm length when the dewshield is folded back, the Starwave 152 one of the most portable 6" aperture refractors on the market today. It will put less strain on your mount too, because the 11.2kg weight is distributed along a shorter length than other larger refractors, so torque / moment-arm effects are minimised.

Remember there could be a weight difference between the older version with 2" crayford focuser and the newer version as it has a 3" dual crayford focuser plus I believe the optics have been improved... The red looks great and is a real eye catcher in the showroom.

If you are interested in the Altair Astro Starwave 152, then maybe a visit to Tring Astronomy Centre in Tring may help you. They have one display. No doubt Neil and Jane will let you remove the scope off the iOptron CEM-60 CE mount to check the weight!  (... don't drop it!!!!) 

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/starwave-152-v2-red-tube-achromat-refractor-telescope-7921-p.asp

Trust the above sets your mind at rest.

Cheers

Adrian

Wow, I never thought of actually weighing mine to see if it's 9 or 11kg. I've got the 3" Crawford so it should be as heavy as it can get. Mine is white but there is no other difference from red than the color and price. I'll check the weight (approx with scales) and get back. I was concerned it would tax an EQ5 too much but so far it's been fine, perhaps because it doesn't weigh as much as I thought it did!

Hopefully not too far off topic, but are you happy with yours?  I like the wide fields and huge aperture to soak up DSO light.  Globs are particularly smart in this tube. Short f ratio makes snap focus a bit more work. Others may think differently but I think CA is under control here.  I've had some very pleasant sessions on Jupiter with no filters.

Enjoy that red!!!

Losmandy Dovetail has to weigh over a Kilo, so perhaps the weight of these older Lyras was in fact 11.2Kg?

Anyway if anyone is looking for one, I just saw a TS branded one of these appear on Astrobuysell UK.  I reckon it's overpriced by £50 but provided the seller is open to more sensible offers it won't be on there long.

Archived