Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

cotterless45

Into the ram's eyes.

Just three hours relaxing under lovely skies , the Milky Way running across Cygnus, it got right chilly later on. Up to Aries and the "Ram's eyes" of (γ) Mesartim, just a lovely bright pair. Over to λ Αrietis  and the delicate +6.7 companion to the +4.8 main.

Another peep at the Garnet star and nearby Σ2816, even at x50 the colours of this triple in IC1396 were evident. The lovely Σ162 οn the Andromeda Perseus border ,gave up this lovely triple at x150, a real favourite.

On the 127 achro, I took the Barlow end off a 21 mm Hyperion, giving 32mm of 2" ep. Absolutely astounding, probably full of Coma in a short scope. Very enjoyable to catch galaxies in the view like this, NGC 1023, NGC 185, NGC 7331. Almost forget M2, a scene stealer this time of year. Then glided around the double cluster, the Lacerta clusters, M45,M34,M39,M71, M56 and M27 at this wide view. Lovely until the waning moon climbed the rooftops flooding the scene,
Clear skies !
Nick.

• Like 10

Sounds like a very good session.  Getting NGC 185 with the 127 is a good catch.  I snagged it with my 6 inch last night, but failed on its near neighbour NGC147.

• Like 1

Another fine session Nick and a pleasure to read. I too enjoyed 3 hours of good sky which ended at 01.35 when a great bank of cloud appeared from the South. The Globs in Hercules that you mentioned a week or so back were on my agenda, comparing views in different eyepieces; M13 is beautiful but so is M92.

I covered a few of the targets you mention, but  after looking at Neptune for some while, I embarked on a fruitless hunt for Uranus, and finished with 30 minutes on the Moon.

A lovely evening of relaxation, I concur !:happy11:

• Like 1

Always a joy to read your reports Nick. M2 is a cracker, I think globulars are about my favourite objects.

Alan

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Always a joy to read your reports Nick. M2 is a cracker, I think globulars are about my favourite objects.

Alan

They certainly are a contender for me too, Alan!  But then I get excited about the whole parade up there so it's s hard call. 

Great report,Nick. I've heard of taking the Hyperion apart but only tried once or twice. 

• Like 1