SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cheap DSLR camera

holly1402

Hi guys,  I'm looking on getting a DSLSR camera for taking photos of the milky way and stars as I will be going to a dark sky sight , I am looking at a used camera so my budget is limited, I have been told a wide angle lens of 24 mm is the lens to have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help will be truly appreciated.

Mark 

My preference is a low end Nikon.

I use a D3300, in manual mode, and a 10-24mm wide angle lens. I use this for time lapse photography of the heavens. I use an Intervalometer, and either an AC adapter for power, or a dual battery hand grip to keep the camera running all night.

And although I do admire the Canon imaging (I really do), I often find Nikon's mesh better with my PC preferences. If you tend to prefer Apple computing, maybe Canon is better suited to you.

I would dearly love to go mirrorless for my time lapse photography. But don't have the quid.... :hmh: So you might consider that (mirrorless).

Best of luck with your endeavors. And remember to practice, practice, practice. With digital you can always delete, delete, delete... :icon_biggrin:

Clear skies!

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, holly1402 said:

Thank you all , you have given me some great information.  I now have something to look out for. Your all so knowledgeable. Thanks again. 

If  you are looking for a camera already modified for astro-imaging you might take a look at this site too.

https://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/.  I'm just saving up the pennies myself.

Try 'Camera Jungle' for used cameras and accessories.

It is owned by Jessops so you get its warranty and support. I got a mint condition D5200 Nikon for about half the price of it new. Ok, it had just been superseded by the D5300 and hence stock clearance but it arrived in a sealed box (hence probably new!). 

On 05/11/2018 at 20:28, tooth_dr said:

Thanks David! I made contact already via PM.

The Canon 40d is sold pending payment to another party.  

"Pending payment" being the operative phrase in barter transactions!

Rich

1 minute ago, RichM63 said:

"Pending payment" being the operative phrase in barter transactions!

Rich

Payment received :D 

I actually had a few people looking it and it has went to a good home.  Sold via ABS.  It was a super camera, and I was lucky to get 3 nights of imaging before it went.

Another vote for MPB.com, they are very competitive with the second hand market, and you don't have the risk of ebay/private sale. I've bought a couple of cameras from them and have been very pleased.

You can pick up Canon 1100D's really cheap now, or maybe a 450D.

Archived