SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW Celestron CGX Mount

FLO

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Features include: 

• New motors for more torque. 
  • Belt drive system to minimise backlash and for quiet operation. 
  • Spring-loaded Brass worm gear and stainless steel worm wheels for both axis. 
  • Home and Limit optical sensors and hard stops for remote operation.
  • All Star polar alignment.
  • Nexstar hand control with new USB port.
  • 20-degrees of additional tracking past the Meridian on each side.
  • 3-65 degree Latitude range.
  • Relatively compact design considering it's impressive claimed 55 lb load capacity.
  • Integrated carrying handles.
  • PEC sensor / PPEC ready.
  • Convenient internal cabling, USB and auto guider ports. 
  • 2x Aux ports to support SkyPortal Wifi and StarSense auto-align accessories. 
  • New software developed together with PlaneWave Instruments; uses the same software engine used in 'observatory-class telescopes' for remote imaging.
  • No third party advanced PC control software is necessary.
  • Optional Polar Axis Finderscope. 

There is a definite sense of excitement coming from the Celestron camp, the Celestron CGX has been in design and development for three years. 

"Best mount ever at this price point. No BS, just great design from experienced engineers. 3 years of hard work from my team...and we're still just scratching the surface."  Eric K, VP Product Development, Celestron. 

The tripod is a bit on the light side by the looks of it (I assume they will do a model with the CGE PRO tripod though like they did with the DX version of the CGEM). The line up does not show it holding higher than the 1100, though I do admit it sounds great....lucky I only have an 1100 then ;-)

So where are the 1600 and 1800 SCT's that I would love to see ;-)

15 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

I don't think I've ever seen someone write "I only have an 1100" before ;)

Yeah I know I have a few others as well....though the 1100 is a superb scope (I used to have the 800 and that was great too). Would be nice if you could just buy the CGX mount head as I have the PRO tripod (wonder if it will fit)? The CGEMDX I have is only a year old and with our weather not had that much use out of it yet (and just seen the CGEM II announcement!)

Just watched the video - it does seem to be a very thoughfully designed mount with some nice new features and eliminating many of the issues of other Celestron mounts (eg: noisy motors). Looking forward to seeing how people rate it against other mounts in the same price bracket.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:40, FLO said:

... and on the Celestron blog there is a review of the Celestron CGX by Richard Berry :smile: 

Great review but is has left me a bit confused about the Celestron product line.  The review mentions in several places that the CGX is seen as a CGEM replacement, fitting in between the AVX and the CGE-PRO.  So far so good but then there is the CGEM II.  What are the main differences between the two and how would one choose between them if you were in the market for a mount wth this kind of capacity? Fortunately I'm still happy with my trusty old belt modded NEQ6, but I still like to see all these new mounts coming onto the market and knowing what they're about.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:05, r3i said:

Great review but is has left me a bit confused about the Celestron product line.  The review mentions in several places that the CGX is seen as a CGEM replacement, fitting in between the AVX and the CGE-PRO.  So far so good but then there is the CGEM II.  What are the main differences between the two and how would one choose between them if you were in the market for a mount wth this kind of capacity? Fortunately I'm still happy with my trusty old belt modded NEQ6, but I still like to see all these new mounts coming onto the market and knowing what they're about.

I see the CGX is on a tripod smaller than the CGEM-DX (which has the 2.75" CGE Pro tripod with locking levers are on the inside) and a mount that has a 10% payload increase compared to the CGEM-DX 50lb. 

So a very tight squeeze between AVX - CGEM - CGEM DX - CGX - CGEM PRO, not sure in the order, as stability is a factor.

How the 2" CGX tripod matches against the 2.75" of the CGEM-DX and PRO would be useful comparison.

Looking forward to those with the cash doing like for like comparisons in this range.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help with the slewing area required for the  Celestron CGX 1100 Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph  I have a telescope working area of 1.2mtrs depth x 1.7mtrs width which my Celestron SE8 is currently set up in in my observatory but wanting to upgrade to the RASA 11. I have tried for days searching the internet for the overall area required.

I know the width of 1.7mtrs will not be a problem but desperate to find out if the 1.2mtr depth will be sufficient to operate comfortably before I invest in a new set up!

Cheers

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I would think long and hard before purchasing one of these. Lots of people in America having issues just read the forums . Guide logs suggest it in no way better than the Cgem So no improvements! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UnMl5wuu--k&feature=youtu.be

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/565328-my-first-attempt-at-phd2-guiding-with-cgx-mount/page-2#entry7686667

But there aren't loads of negative posts at Cloudy Nights... :icon_scratch:

One owner reported a vibration problem in a rather unusual setup - Celestron found no issues and the owner is continuing to test the mount.

One mount had a sensor problem which sounds more like something aggravated by shipping/handling. 

Some (ourselves included) want more info regarding the max weight for acceptable tracking when imaging at longer focal lengths and weights but that is focused on Celestron's advertising and documentation, rather than the CGX mount itself.

There are no issues reported here in the UK. 

SteveMcHarg, please be patient and objective. It is still early days but I am confident owners will soon be reporting their experience with this new mount. 

HTH, 

Steve 

8 minutes ago, SteveMcHarg said:

Ok thanks FLO I will wait and see. I was concerned about the YouTube video of the tracking posted in cloudy nights. Is that normal ? My eq6 is much better! 

I have learned not to over-react to an individual report or video, particularly one posted on a Sat night by someone who joined the forum only one hour ago... <_<

The CGX mount has been in the UK for only three weeks. Please be patient. And please try to post something positive, if only to assure me you aren't a man on a mission. 

Steve 

Archived