Glueing Baader Film

SteveBz

Hi Guys,

I made a full aperture 114mm solar filter, but then there's a bit of the film left over, so I thought I make a reduced aperture filter for the c8n like this:

2016-09-20 13.12.27.jpg

I used a short length of drain pipe, its probably 70mm, but it measures 69mm.  The aperture on the scope cover is 58 mm.  I used draft excluder on the inside to reduce the radius of the pipe and make it slide on and then a couple of screws, as you can see, to hold it in place.

The issue is, first of all I used silicone sealant to fix the filter in place, which soon began to become detached (from the pipe), so I fixed it back in place with Humbrol (smells like Airfix).  This also is coming loose and as you can see, bits of adhesive are now getting onto the filter and the filter is no longer flat. 

It may not matter, but I'd really like to know what sort of glue to use.  The whole thing looks more elegant than the duct tape version.

What do you think, can it be done?  What sort of glue will hold firm to both pipe and filter foil?

Regards

Steve.

Steve, I've successfully used double sided tape to fix the film down, it works very well. I ran a couple of strips around the outside of the holder, laid the film over the top then folded it down onto the tape as neatly as I could. The film should not be stretched tight, it is good that it is a bit wrinkly!

In my case I was making one from cardboard (a cereal packet) so I then just wrapped another layer of card over the film and wrapped plenty of insulating tape over it. Very secure.

I would be wary of whether any of the glue has reacted with the film in any way, so check carefully for damage or holes by holding it up to the light. If in doubt, get another sheet!

+1 for double sided tape for securing the Baader safety film to the cardboard tube holder and finish off with either insulating or gaffer/duct tape wrapped around it a few times.

Several years ago I made a pair for my 7x50 binoculars, (sadly consigned to a landfill site as they got damaged during a tidy-up/clearout).

BTW - I like the idea of using draught excluder on the inside. I never thought of that when I made mine

Archived