Jump to content

NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol 20-9-16 10.30 new action


xtreemchaos

Recommended Posts

mixed skys thismorrnig, seeings not bad but its not good niver, decided to use the little ed for a change. in the vis the spot and pores on the limb looks very nice ,it was just 2 pores yesterday so its developed loads overnight. there qute a few pores around the spots nearer center. kit ed80 ,1.5x barlow, lunt wedge, 1200d in mono and crop mode.  thanks for looking ,clear skys charl.

mono

sol ed 20.9.16 10.30.png

coloured

sol ed 20.9.16 10.30 col.png

invert

sol ed 20.9.16 10.30 inv.png

crop 1

sol ed 20.9.16 10.30 cu1.png

crop 2

sol ed 20.9.16 10.30 cu2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Charl,

How do you get that granularity?  I was out this morning during a gap in the cloud and I tried to use a higher magnification lens to see if I could get it, but no luck.

I used the c8n plus reduced aperture Baader filter with lenses of 4mm, 6mm, 12.5mm and 20mm and I couldn't see any granulation.  Is the Solar wedge?

I even had difficulty focussing.  I focussed on the edge of the sun and then swung back, but even when you're focussing on the edge, the thermals look like one of those old black and white foreign legion films with Bob Hope or whoever fainting in the heat!!

Any advice welcome.

regards

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks Steve, it all depends on the conditions mate, here and on sol, you can have a lovely cloud free sky and not beable to grab suface detail, thermals and the jetstream can make it hard to see, sometimes impossalbe. keep trying and im sure you will catch it. i dont use any fiters apart from the one in the lunt wedge and sometimes i put a ND moon filter onto my barlow to even the brightness.  clear skys charl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Steve, it all depends on the conditions mate, here and on sol, you can have a lovely cloud free sky and not beable to grab suface detail, thermals and the jetstream can make it hard to see, sometimes impossalbe. keep trying and im sure you will catch it. i dont use any fiters apart from the one in the lunt wedge and sometimes i put a ND moon filter onto my barlow to even the brightness.  clear skys charl.

Hi Charl,

Thanks for your reply.  So if I understand this correctly (I've just Googled Lunt Wedge), you are using one of your refractors with a solar wedge and a camera, nothing else.  The full strength of the sun is focussed onto the wedge which manages somehow to dissipate the heat without cracking and then pass the remaining light through to your CCD.

Basically, as I only have Newtonians, I wouldn't be able to do this without buying a refractor (and of course a Solar wedge). 

Can I ask which refractor you use?

Thanks

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Hi Charl,

Thanks for your reply.  So if I understand this correctly (I've just Googled Lunt Wedge), you are using one of your refractors with a solar wedge and a camera, nothing else.  The full strength of the sun is focussed onto the wedge which manages somehow to dissipate the heat without cracking and then pass the remaining light through to your CCD.

Basically, as I only have Newtonians, I wouldn't be able to do this without buying a refractor (and of course a Solar wedge). 

Can I ask which refractor you use?

Thanks

Steve.

Ok, worked it out, I guess it was the sw80ED.

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi steve,   as you said, i wouldnt use one with a newt mate, your secondry mirror would overheat and shatter failing on to your main mirror , you really need a air spaced doublet frac for it to be safe. i use mine with all my fracs from a ed80 f6, st120mm f5 and AR127l f9.5., i also use a 1.5x barlow. the lunt wedge allows the heat to pass through the mirror in the wedge to heatsink at the back , it works very well.  charl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

hi steve,   as you said, i wouldnt use one with a newt mate, your secondry mirror would overheat and shatter failing on to your main mirror , you really need a air spaced doublet frac for it to be safe. i use mine with all my fracs from a ed80 f6, st120mm f5 and AR127l f9.5., i also use a 1.5x barlow. the lunt wedge allows the heat to pass through the mirror in the wedge to heatsink at the back , it works very well.  charl.

Hi Charl,

Thanks for this. 

Do you get better Solar images with the larger apertures, or are they all good enough?

I wonder, for instance, if the granularity is clearer with your 120 mm and less so with the 70mm?  Maybe it only matters for smaller objects.

Regards,

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 thanks Steve, aperture wins the day over all, but on a day when the conditions are good the optics in the ed80 is best, but thats not very often. as for granulation its condisions what matters the most mate. you dont have to spend loads of money on scopes to get good results in whitelight ,heres a pic of my modest setup, the wedge works good in all 3.  charl.

the obsy room,

DSC09625.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

 thanks Steve, aperture wins the day over all, but on a day when the conditions are good the optics in the ed80 is best, but thats not very often. as for granulation its condisions what matters the most mate. you dont have to spend loads of money on scopes to get good results in whitelight ,heres a pic of my modest setup, the wedge works good in all 3.  charl.

the obsy room,

DSC09625.JPG

Very nice rigs.  I dream of a room like that.

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.