sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Howdy, all.  I am in the process of searching for my first telescope.  I am looking for something that is great for both planetary gazing and stargazing.  I live in an area that has light to medium light pollution, but have access to foothills and mountains, only a couple hours away.  So, I am looking for something that is semi portable, yet still big enough to have a good fov.  Most of the viewing would be done from the back yard, however.  I do plan on doing AP in the future, but just looking or a gazer at the moment.  I have read a lot of good reviews on the skyliner 200p, but was just wondering if there are any that are comparable in quality for a tad less.  the 200p is about $400 US, which is about the top of my price range.  Thanks in advance, everyone. 

i think most of the others (orion, bresser) at the same size are going up on price rather than down. The 200 skyline is probably the best you will get in that price bracket, it is a cracking first scope that will keep you entertained for a long time. I think the only way to spend Less money is look second hand, or go down in size - as most people here love spending other people's money, you'll probably get a lot of "go for it" answers.

200pis a bargain. It'll find you everything that's possible in your skies. It's a lifetime scope, just plonk it down and get going. An 18" high bench of seat will get you super comfy at the eyepiece. Couldn't recommend a better beginner scope. Seen some right horror scopes With wobbling tripods, built in Barlow and spherical mirrors for less money. Still possible to get plastic screws into plastic body parts and focusers which slop around,

Nick.

In the USA, both solid tube and collapsible tube Skywatcher 200mm Dobsonians are available. I would prefer the solid tube as it is cheaper, a little lighter and less in need of collimation (periodic alignment of the mirrors). B&H has the solid tube version at $355 which I reckon is pretty unbeatable: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141702-REG/sky_watcher_s11610_8_traditional_dobsonian.html

Another contender is the Zhumell 8 Dob at $399. These come with a slightly better package of extras, including a laser collimator and an in-built fan which helps with cooling. https://www.telescopesplus.com/products/zhumell-z8-deluxe-dobsonian-reflector-telescope

In terms of design, reflectors with mirrors are cheaper than refractors with lenses, and Dobsonian mounts are cheaper than tripods - and these savings add up to a bigger and better OTA (telescope tube). There are several other good telescopes in the $300-400 range but all have very much smaller apertures. At the end of the day, an 8" or 200mm Dob represents "the best bang for your buck".

When you go to these hills and mountains to observe are you envisaging driving to the location and setting the telescope up next to the car or are you thinking of something that you can carry up the mountain? Obviously, the latter requires a much smaller and lighter scope. 

As for astrophotography, unless you want to compromise your visual astronomy, it will require a second scope when you get to that stage. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Trusty_Pigeon
      Good evening,
      I've been looking at purchasing my first telescope for most of 2020 after spending numerous full moons upon the Ridgeway in Oxfordshire.
      With some significant lifestyle changes I'm finding myself finally able to fund my first purchase!
      The problem I'm facing is transportation, mainly. I either ride a motorbike or bicycle out into the woodlands with my DSLR for sunset shots but want to appreciate that great luminous rock that much more (main focus moon viewing and eventually moon photography).
      I've been eyeing up the Bresser Messier NT-130/1000 specifically, but wanted to get some sage advice first.
      I have a reasonable system for transporting my tripod and camera securely, but is there anything to be conscious of with a new scope?
      I've set myself a loose budget of £500~
      Would anyone recommend I look at alternate starting scopes, or would the 130/1000 be ideal?
      Thanks in advance,
      Pigeon
    • By Witcherking10
      Hello all,
      I always been fascinated by astronomy and finally purchased a celestron nexstar 8se. Setup went smoothly but I'm a little stuck on the lens. I attached the star diagonal to the telescope and focused in on an object. I was able to see a part of the leaf on the plant in my house and I attached a picture of that. Moving the telescope left and right allowed me to see other things. I then took out the 25mm lens and can see through that when not attached to the telescope. I can see my sandals and feet through the lens and attached a picture of that. I then inserted the 25mm lens into the star diagonal and that's where all hope gets lost. I see white (assuming that's my wall) and yes the cover on the telescope is also off. No matter where I move the telescope. All I see is white. I tried last night in clear skies and pointed towards some clear stars using the skyportal app to align but I didnt see anything except pitch black through the lens. I also played with the focus but nothing. Am I doing something wrong, I would think the 25mm wouldnt be so zoomed in that I cant see anything? Thanks for any help you can provide me. Looking forward to exploring!!

• By Steely Stan
      Hello all
      I just ordered my first telescope, a Nexstar 8 SE (very aggressive pricing on Amazon right now), and I can already tell I walked into the stargazers meth lab!  No sooner had I placed my order than I was on ebay looking for a second hand Baader zoom.  After an hour on this forum I will probably decide I need a EQ wedge, start thinking about whether to by a powerpack or make one from a car battery.  I'll be spending £200 on petrol driving to Scotland and back to find darker skies, and....well you know the drill.  To be fair, all this is with the endorsement of my missus (that makes her a "keeper") but I now know why expensive purchases are commonly referred to as 'astronomical'.
      Technically its not my first scope as my son had a tiny toy refractor which, with a lot of fiddling, gave OK views of the moon but was useless for anything dim.  Then during lockdown #1 I bought a pair of binoculars, mounted them on my camera tripod and pointed them at Jupiter and behold! - a yellow disc and four little moons in a row.  Then scoot left a bit to Saturn which revealed a little rugby ball - couldn't see the rings as such, but knew it was egg shaped for a reason....anyway, that was it - hooked.
      .....and as £or astro£otography, let's not mention that to the missus.  Yet.
      Stan    . .  o .     . 

• By GiL Young
      Hello, all ~
      If you'd please take a moment to read the info in my profile, I'd be grateful beyond words. In short,, I leaped into this new passion before fully researching all of it's necessary aspects. I'm determined to verify with my own eyes the deep cosmos and better understand the far past & distant future events. Thanks so much for indulging this newbie.
      ~ GiL Young
    • By JacobiteJake
      Hi Everyone
      For the first time in 57 years I'm having the itch to look up  , I'm fed up with looking at people wearing masks, moaning there's no loo rolls and 2mtr distance markings on the floor, so I think me needs to take a deep breath and look through some quality glass and see the amazing views above the clouds.  The problem I'm having, after watching many YouTube videos, is lots of different views on what your first scope should be, so, I need your help please.
      My budget started at around £500 but I'm starting to think I need around £700 to get something I'm going to be pleased with, unless I come across a used one of course.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be mostly visual star gazing I'll be doing and then perhaps as my interest and curiosity grows, I'll have a dabble into astrophotography, although this side of it does look very complicated, not to mention much more expensive.  I have noticed in many videos that there is a push for newbies to get a reflector scope but they do seem a bit too big and cumbersome, and storage is an issue where I live, so I'm thinking more of a refractor. 
      There's a few nice 80 ed scopes out there but as I understand it, the moon will look nice but I'll have a hard job making out the planets like Saturn at maximum power.  102's and 120 seems a good starter but the jump in cost to an ED version is BIG, so I'd like some help on whether or not it justifies the extra money please to remove much of the Chromatic Aboration that many complain about of the cheaper scopes.  I've also noticed that some scopes out there, although different in colour and name, the build is exactly the same and it's said by some, but it's pretty obvious it is, that they are just re-branded and come from the same factory in Shenzen.  So, can you help/advise please, is a 102 or a 120 a good choice, should I pay the extra for ED, and which brands should I consider, i.e. Skywatcher, Celestron etc.  Also, any advise on what extras I will need, I can see most advise on upgrading the 10mm eye piece that comes with most scopes for a better one, and a decent 2x Barlow, but anything else I'll you'll think I will need please and any tips and tricks for a very keen, getting on a bit, newbie, thank you very much.
      Just so you know, I've made my first purchase, it's a planisphere and I'm learning how to use it from a nice chap I've found on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbz3QnAbzFM&t=962s&ab_channel=AstronomyandNatureTV
      Take care, stay safe and clear skies as they say

Kindest regards
      David 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.