SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser WiFi Camera

Asur1984

First of all, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across, or has any experience of the Bresser WiFi Camera?

I have no experience in astrophotography, but this piece of kit looks quite good for a complete beginner at a relatively low cost compared to other bits of kit.

Really looking for pro's and con's of this or any recommendations of alternative bits of kit to get me started imaging the great sights of the cosmos.

Thanks in advance

Jon 

It's only a planetary/lunar camera. For that price I would consider ASI034 or QHY5R-II cameras - as those are proven and what's more important - supported by good capture applications - FireCapture / SharpCap. Those cameras will however require a USB connection with a laptop (or some Windows tablets).

And don't expect to much. Pretty astrophotography is quite expensive and takes "a lot" of processing time to get the final image. Buy after you check what can be achieved with given hardware.

Hi Jon,

I do have one of these, but wouldn't say I have had extensive experience with it. It functions as describes, I had no problem downloading the app, setting it up and connecting via wifi from my iPhone.

The unit itself is nicely built and feels solid, the only tacky part is the 1.25" extension tube which is very lightweight plastic; does the job but very cheap.

I have only used it for solar imaging so far, attached is a grab from a single frame for what it's worth. I think it will be most useful for lunar imaging, and may allow some very basic planetary images but don't expect too much.

If connecting cables and using a laptop are a pain or you don't have a laptop then perhaps this is a good way of starting, otherwise a good webcam may be a better option? I bought it for the simplicity of being able to get images on my phone, and it does that job.

Stu

IMG_6528.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,

I was thinking of this purely as a starter piece to get to grips with imaging before upgrading.

I'll definitely have a look at the other options mentioned. Weighing up options at the minute to see what is user friendly and also how they work with other bits of software needed etc.

Its given me other points to look at.

Thanks

Jon

• 1 month later...

hi Jon,

i recently bought the bresser wifi camera for my kids to use in our skywatcher 127 mak.

they had seemed to have lost interest with the scope as they had to squint their eyes

to view the image .now by wifi they can view the image on their phones or Tablet, or by usb

cable with a laptop . just download the wifi App to phone, push the camera in where the eyepiece should

go .switch on and away to go.

this is my 12 year old sons first attempt at a video. just used the default settings out of the box,and a X2 barlow

its a bit shakey but hopefully after playing about with the settings the next one should get better.

i am now looking for a camera for myself to have a play around with.

moon 1.mp4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering this camera, but I was wondering if you can take burst of images with the mobile app?  Or is it limited to one picture only? 

I noted the camera is able of 30 frames per second.

And can you stack the images with the mobile app? 

Thanks in advance!

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-StarShoot-USB-Eyepiece-Camera-II/pc/-1/c/4/sc/58/p/102083.uts

Orion Eyepiece Camera

On 11/16/2016 at 02:18, jackobeen said:

hi Jon,

i recently bought the bresser wifi camera for my kids to use in our skywatcher 127 mak.

they had seemed to have lost interest with the scope as they had to squint their eyes

to view the image .now by wifi they can view the image on their phones or Tablet, or by usb

cable with a laptop . just download the wifi App to phone, push the camera in where the eyepiece should

go .switch on and away to go.

this is my 12 year old sons first attempt at a video. just used the default settings out of the box,and a X2 barlow

its a bit shakey but hopefully after playing about with the settings the next one should get better.

i am now looking for a camera for myself to have a play around with.

moon 1.mp4

That's a nice video. The atmospheric distortion adds to it's authenticity.

I have an Orion Eyepiece Camera for doing live viewing.

Edited by SonnyE

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Not sure if anyone's still reading this topic, but if you are could you advise me on this camera please? I've set it up and on Android 6.0.1 and can take pics and record  fine, on Android 7.1.2 it doesn't store the pics or record though the pop up message says it has. On both versions I cannot set the resolution which appears to have defaulted to 1280*720. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

Hi, does this camera works Well  with an ipad and the coronado PST solar scope?  Can the camera also show the  so called " surface grandulation"  sun spots and filaments? Thanks!! ( ofcource i know its not a dsrl camera but for the simplicity) and merry Christmas .

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2016 at 20:52, Stu said:

Hi Jon,

I do have one of these, but wouldn't say I have had extensive experience with it. It functions as describes, I had no problem downloading the app, setting it up and connecting via wifi from my iPhone.

The unit itself is nicely built and feels solid, the only tacky part is the 1.25" extension tube which is very lightweight plastic; does the job but very cheap.

I have only used it for solar imaging so far, attached is a grab from a single frame for what it's worth. I think it will be most useful for lunar imaging, and may allow some very basic planetary images but don't expect too much.

If connecting cables and using a laptop are a pain or you don't have a laptop then perhaps this is a good way of starting, otherwise a good webcam may be a better option? I bought it for the simplicity of being able to get images on my phone, and it does that job.

Stu

Hi, excuse digging up old topic but while I was googling astrophoto and WiFi this thread popped up !

> " I have only used it for solar imaging so far "

I wonder if you ever, meanwhile, tried it on the moon ?

I am thinking not to get state of the art images, just an aide memoir of where I have been and what to look at next time round, iyswim.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread. I recently purchased one of these cameras and (for the money) it's decent. The only issue I have is the supplied lens that comes with the camera seems to be quite zoomed in (guessing this is a 10mm?).

I've tried various camera software to digi zoom out to no avail.

I tried playing around by connecting a lens from my telescope (skywatcher 200p) but they don't seem to fit. I read that the camera can be combined with a barlow lens - are these slightly different than the lenses that come with the skywatcher?   (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

2 hours ago, mjharper said:

I've tried various camera software to digi zoom out to no avail.

The focal length of the lens and the size of the sensor determines the maximum field of view. This can't be increased digitally (digitally zooming out) . The maximum field of view is fixed.

1 hour ago, John said:

A barlow lens will make the image scale larger (ie: more "zoomed in") rather than smaller (ie: more "zoomed out"). Is that what you want to achieve ?

Ah no - it's the opposite I was hoping for. Hopefully I'll have more luck with some planets! I've included a very amateur video I shot of the moon recently, I just wanted to pan/zoom out a bit to capture the whole thing