Why do people do astronomy (or not)

SteveBz

1 hour ago, saac said:

Ok here we go, I'm imagining a 10 micron mount in my obsy and 2 weeks, no wait, one whole month of cloudless dewless nights.  My astronomer sidekick daughter is holding out for a hot chocolate machine in the obsy.  Personally, I think she may be onto something:happy7:

I hope the universe has got a fix to the Win 10 Prolific chipset bug - I want my 10 micron mount to work out of the box!

Jim

Too late; the Krell machine exploded, but Robby the Robot escaped, maybe he can build you one.

See, imagination does work!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was Seneca who said (cannot find that quote now for dear life) that, were the stars visible from only one place on Earth people would go there for pilgrimage.

There is nothing as magical for me as the night sky. And as a lot of folks observed here, looking at it makes one sense its place in the grand scheme of things. Just like swimming in the sea touches upon something primordial...

The same reason I was "doing it" as a child with just eyes/binoculars, is the same reason I do it now with £1000's of equipment. Its just the wonder of it all, watching the seasons pass and every now and again a new arrival in the skies! Halley's comet is still fresh in my memory after nearly 30 years have passed.

As I have got older, the sense of the historical importance of events that have passed has also become important to me. The Crab nebula in particular, was a super nova observed nearly a 1000 years ago! Amazing today we can see the aftermath :shocked:

I don't think my interest will ever stop, circumstances will maybe lessen my ability to pursue in the future :sad2: but I will worry about that if it happens :icon_biggrin:

I am primarily an observer (visual and EAA) and every time I go out I get a flutter of excitement as to what I will discover next. And sheer beauty never fails to inspire me, whether it's standing under a vast starry winter sky or looking at a galaxy on a computer screen. Even a quick look through some binoculars will 'replenish the tanks' and inspire me. after 35 years with the hobby I feel the same way!

Because I am interested in scientific areas of knowledge.

The question can have the word "astronomy" replaced with anything you like. Knitting, steam locomotives, gardening, you name it. Different people find these things attractive enough to pursue them as hobbies/jobs. This just happens to be the site for astronomy enthusiasts.

Nigel

22 hours ago, Pippy said:

Expecting people young or old to speak/pipe-up in public for whatever reason will never return the results you desire - for very good reasons.

'Public' being anything more than company you trust with your deepest thoughts and feelings.

No argument from me! We're on the same side? Hopefully no misunderstanding! :p

I WELL remember the first time I had to stand in front of a "collaboration meeting" of
Physicists, I was shaking so much I could barely stand - And quasi-unintelligable too?
If I was a bit harsh with "know it all" kid? - He didn't give others chance to speak?:evil4:

I would like to say it got better QUICKLY - It didn't. It took a lot of work... decades?
But having "come out of retirement" for a couple of talks (no problem!) to Amateur
Astronomers, I am grateful for their implicit understanding! I also enjoyed it too. ;)
But the experience has led me to care deeply for those who I feel have been denied
opportunities in science (amateur or pro) due to lack of education / confidence...

I'm glad that science is now being "popularised"! For whom, I sometimes wonder? 
And I hope I'm no longer the "only scientist" (sic) some are comfortable asking a 
"daft" question at work etc. Heck, I even forgive a neighbour who always reminds
me HER husband "works HARD in his job" - But Hey, on with my "little hobby"! :D 

I have only been an astronomer for less than a year. I am still completely baffled by the idea that you can actually see distant galaxies and details on planets with a private home telescope. But I don't know what will happen when I have seen it all. Will I become blasé? Or do I buy an even bigger telescope so that I can look at everything else again and bigger.

I think a first step after being an observer, for me, is starting with sketching. This will give another depth to the observations and the ability to share your experience with others.

On 18.9.2016 at 11:39, Stu said:

Since I started about 16 years ago, I am just happy to continue enjoying the stars in a fairly relaxed manner. This is not a race or a competition for me, I will enjoy viewing the Double Cluster or Mizar for the hundredth (or more!) time until my eyes give out.

Due to my location I am largely a planetary and Solar observer, and will happily spend hours just watching Jupiter spin slowly, with perhaps the GRS or a shadow transit to follow.

You are right. Some objects stay very interesting even if you have seen them before. Planets certainly are and moon transits are great too.

Astronomy is the Oldest Science. It has been studied since time immemorial, which includes all the relevant ingredients that make the whole.
It will continue that way until our Sun swallows up it's family, hopefully not next week :eek:.
Followers come and go, except those who are dedicated, and there are millions of us.
Some enter into it on a whim, and will never endure, some are only mildly curious, so there is a turnover of numbers continually, but the Die Hards
are eternal, and remain so.

I do astronomy for the pure fascination of what's out there - love looking at all objects - and always a wanna be imager lol. I also like the tinkering and modding, as well as buying nice shiny new scopes and bits and clever trickery pokery electronic gadgetry. Always enjoyed  camping/caravaning and it's nice to meet up with other like minded folks at star party's a couple of times per year. And there's a great sense of camaraderie in our local astro club too.It's a win win hobby all round for me. :)

Interest. Astronomy is about almost the entirety of nature. It seems reasonable to me to find something of interest in that lot...

Creativity. I enjoy making astrophotos.

Livelihood. I make my living as an astronomy and astrophotography provider.

Friendship. The community is full of good people from all kinds of background.

Olly

On 09/18/2016 at 13:32, Pippy said:

Expecting people young or old to speak/pipe-up in public for whatever reason will never return the results you desire - for very good reasons.

'Public' being anything more than company you trust with your deepest thoughts and feelings.

And yet, on this subject, I trust you all with mine.

:happy11:

I'm less than a year in, but hooked. I love the science, the constant reminder of the vastness of the universe, and through imaging, have found a wonderful marriage between art and science.  As an electronic engineer and ex physics teacher, astronomy gives me many uses for knowledge gleaned in my past careers, whilst spending money earned in my current one.

I love carefully preparing my equipment, then staring at a cloudy sky for weeks on end because someone has bought something shiny from @FLO.  This gives me the opportunity to haemorrhage even more cash, and maintain the cloud cover.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 09:16, SteveBz said:

So my question is why do we do this thing called astronomy?

Why not? Because it's there. Closest I'll get unless they discover FTL and take over weight middle aged old geezers on day trips to the stars.

Clear outs are often people upgrading not just 'giving up', or lifestyle changes e.g. kids - many of these return after a while.

1 hour ago, jimboozle said:

This gives me the opportunity to haemorrhage even more cash, and maintain the cloud cover.

The internet has a lot to answer for. When I started you had to follow up adverts in the BBA Handbook or the few "astronomy" related adds in Exchange & Mart. Getting things from abroad was almost impossible via snail mail or very expensive transcontinental phone calls.

Now I waste money as the mood and double click take me!

Regards Andrew

PS "Time in Quantum Mechanics - Vol 1" just popped through the door - now I wonder how that happened. 

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

The internet has a lot to answer for. When I started you had to follow up adverts in the BBA Handbook or the few "astronomy" related adds in Exchange & Mart. Getting things from abroad was almost impossible via snail mail or very expensive transcontinental phone calls.

Now I waste money as the mood and double click take me!

"The internet has a lot to answer for"

Yes !

Though I'm sure we can't blame the internet as such. From what I've seen so far, it's the various and many transistion(s) our race is currently experiencing - which are extreme in so many ways.

Too much is happening too quickly, we're just not ready, or willing, or wanting, or able to compenste quickly enough. So much is currently being destroyed/lost in the process.

3 minutes ago, Pippy said:

"The internet has a lot to answer for"

Yes !

Though I'm sure we can't blame the internet as such. From what I've seen so far, it's the various and many transistion(s) our race is currently experiencing - which are extreme in so many ways.

Too much is happening too quickly, we're just not ready, or willing, or wanting, or able to compenste quickly enough. So much is currently being destroyed/lost in the process.

Pippy are you sure your brain is not a quantum computer? The test for AI used to be that if you asked a question you got (single) a sensible answer. With your post they seem to be so pregnant with meaning I struggle to follow (my problem not yours). Keep them coming.

Regards Andrew

PS Apologies to the OP for going of track.

30 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Pippy are you sure your brain is not a quantum computer?

Funny you should mention that lol

It's not my brain that's quantum in nature, it's for sure yours, mine, all of SGL's and life though out everywhere ! .. don't you think ?

'Quantum' being just another level we're doing our bestest to try and interpret/comprehend with the tools at hand .. don't you think ? ;)

Archived