Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

N0ZB

Celestron 8SE not tracking properly?

Hello,

Super newbie here. Clearly I am doing something wrong and I am not sure what it is.

I have a new Celestron 8SE. I have been successful conducting the StarAlign. I then use one of the functions to go to Mars or a star in a constellation - the telescope slews over to the location, lands on it, stops....  then rapidly starts slewing away so the telescope ends up inverted. It comes all the way over the top, starts pointing the scope downward and then stops.

Help.

Scott

Edited by N0ZB

I've not had this issue, but perhaps an upgrade might fix it?  Try:

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToVersion4.htm

The 'scope comes with a cable for the hand controller, but not the RS232-to-USB adaptor.

Doug.

Also - the adaptor/converter comes with a driver CD.

Edited by cloudsweeper

That may well be power. Seems a bit of a feature when the power supply is inadaquate.

If you are using batteries use new ones and use the high power variety, worst aspect is to use a new set each time. A previously used set will likely be a little low the next time. The scopes will work at 12v but they get questionable at 11.5v, in effect 12v is the minimum. Many people run them just slightly higher, here quite a few Mains/DC supplys have a 13.2v option (mine does) and they use that. The slewing action take a high drain then there is just insufficent to maintain everything. I have/had a small Meade that did just about exactly the same.

Do not use rechargeables, they do not have the right voltage, so exactly the same problem.

+1 for it being a power issue, I always use a 12v car battery or 12v mains adaptor to run my 8se.

Yes I had trouble much as you described with my Nexstar 8SE mount when it was on batteries. Since I got a Baader power supply (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-128v-15a.html) I've had no problem.

As final thoughts, when you set up your mount:

1. Make sure it is on firm ground and as level as you can. Use a proper spirit level, not one of these buttons with a bubble in the centre which I've found to be hopelessly inaccurate.
  2. Enter your precise location.
  3. Enter you time as precisely as you can, say within 5s.
  4. Centre the star as closely as possible, starting at low magnification and finishing at a higher power.
  5. Use the same mount slew directions when centring all your alignment stars and chosen object.

Good luck with your new hobby.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

8 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Use the same mount slew directions when centering all your alignment stars and chosen object.

I've read this piece of advice before, but I am afraid I don't understand it. Does this mean I want my three objects to be in a straight line?

I have the Celestron Power Tank... it was charging last night, but is topped off and ready for use. I will be using that for power tonight.

- Additional Question: if I am using the Power Tank and have AA batteries in the base, does it default to the Power Tank?

Thank you very much for all the help! I really enjoyed seeing the Moon last night.

I was able to figure out that the base will default to the external plug over the onboard AA batteries. Just by plugging in the Power Tank, I saw the brightness increase a bit on the hand control.

I did the StarAlign again tonight. First time, no problems. I used Mars and two stars to the right of Mars. When I slewed to the third "star", I saw rings! Alright! I used Saturn as the third object and the handheld said the align was good to go. I was just able to get my two little girls out to take a peak at Saturn before their bedtime. Where those some of Saturn's moons nearby or stars in the background?

The base seemed to be tracking Saturn without an issue. I started with the 32mm eyepiece. Then swapped it for the 25mm. Then the 13mm. The base was still tracking.

That was it for tonight. Hopefully we'll have clear skies this Friday and I can give the tracking another good test.

I'm still not exactly sure what "Use the same mount slew directions when centering all your alignment stars and chosen object." means. Mars, Saturn, and the third object I used tonight for the StarAlign formed a triangle and were pretty close together to the southwest of me.

You can use three bright objects, or two named stars.  (And other methods - see handbook.)  I always used the two star method - quick and easy.  If you don't know the stars, just use a tablet app like Sky Map.  Better still, use Stellarium - and that will also tell you what you're looking at - moons, stars, etc..

Mount movements: it is recommended to align on an object in the same way as the mount slews to a target.  If it finishes with up and left, then do the same when you are aligning.  Some say it doesn't really matter much, and I agree.  I never bother with it, and GoTo always puts me very close to targets.  

Doug.

As cloudsweeper says. The reason I think is that there is a certain amount of backlash in the drive mechanism, which in practice means that if you slew to a target in the opposite direction, then there is a period when the mount is stationary whilst the drive mechanism 'catches up'. In that time the target will drift off-centre. Not a major problem but could be an irritation. Similarly, if you align on an object the other way, the same will apply and the mount will 'think' it's in a slightly different position.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stthomse
      Hi all.
      I have just bought a Celestron 18771-CGL power tank to allow me to get out to the dark skies of the South Downs with my Nexstar 8SE. This is a great bit of kit because it's so light and portable and powers the scope for hours no problem. However, I've also been thinking about getting a dew heater and the only downside of the power tank is it's lack of a second 12v output. I was looking on the First Light Optics website and they sell a DC splitter cable to allow two devices to be powered from a single output. I'm not an electrician obviously, but logical tells me if the dew heater controller is also a 12v device there should be no problem running both the scope and the heater at the same time other than draining the battery faster. Is anyone using a splitter cable in this way? Or can anyone confirm my logic is flawed?
    • By Andy Cole
      Hi all
      I'm a newbie here but not totally new to astronomy. I've had a telescope since I was a teenager (over 30 years!) and only ever had 1 telescope - a Tasco 40x40mm reflector. I expect members my age are familiar with it - thin and white with a thin metal tripod and a push and pull focuser.  It's still functional at more than 30 years old although the thread on the eyepiece is worn so the eyepiece falls off regularly! I've only ever used it to look at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and that's always been good enough for me.  Now I have been thinking of getting a new scope. I have a very limited budget and so I am wondering whether I will get any significant improvements on what I can see.
      My earliest memories of the Tasco from childhood were that I could see the rings of Saturn as a line across the circle of the planet.  Having rekindled my interest in the last few years, I have started to use it again, and nowadays, when Saturn is visible, I can clearly see the rings 'as a ring' and the gap between the planet and the rings, which I don't remember seeing as a kid. 
      Vieing Jupiter I can usually see about 4 moons.
      I've heard that the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian is a good 'budget' telescope, and great for casual use, which is what appeals to me most.  I don't want a telescope with complicated setup or one that takes up a lot of space.  TheSkywatcher seems to fit the bill, and it also fits my very limited budget.
      What I am most interested to find out is whill I get an improved view of the things I have already experienced?  I have read some reviews that describe what you can see with this scope and it sounds like it's pretty much what I can already see. And it's maximum 65x magnification doesn't seem like much better than the Tasco's 40x. But will the wider aperture make a bigger difference than the magnification?
      I'm also interested to know if I could use this scope for basic astrophotography - I have numerous cameras - phone cameras, compacts and DSLR's (photohraphy is my main hobby).  I'm not talking about hour long exposures of dark sky objects, just what can be seen easily through this scope.
      I'd love to know what people's opinions are, especially if you own or have used this scope.  I'm also interested to hear recommendations for other scopes, but please remember I have limited budget and space.  I know that an 8" or more is better and I would love one but they are just too expensive and too large for me.
      Cheers
      Andy
    • By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By AaronL
      Hi all,
      I have been lucky enough to have been purchased an 8SE for my birthday. Shameful to admit but this was 2 years ago and my competence has not increased much. Partly because I don't get a lot of time to play!
      Every now and then, I take the scope out in earnest for some star based escapism. The trouble is, my lack of scope skills means that I dont escape very far!
      I have never got on with the hand control of the 8SE. I have watched a lot of videos and read the instructions and the three star align process fails me most times. I read a post on here about making sure that the two 'index' stickers are aligned when attaching the OTA, which I have done. 
      I have done what I can to make sure that the settings are all correct, including time, location etc. 
      To overcome these frustrations, I purchased the WiFi attachment to be used with the SkyPortal app. 
      This configuration has been a lot more successful! I manage to align the scope using three stars each and every time - progress at last! I have slewed to the ring nebula, hit Andromeda without any problems. I'm finally getting to enjoy the cosmos! 
      However, all is not perfect. I slew to Andromeda, have a 5 minute gander at it and then use the 'best tonight' database to slew to something else. This is where it goes wrong. The scope slews to the earth. The on-screen scope location cross also shows it to be pointing at the earth, yet I told the scope to go to Vega. It tried to slew 360 and I had to stop it before the eyepiece smashed into the aux cable. Why would the scope do this? Handset software out of date? Scope set up incorrectly? 
      If this sounds like a classic dumb dumb error, please let me know. I'm starting to think my scope is faulty and my lack of experience means I have no way of telling.
      Thanks to any helpful tips in advance.
      Aaron
    • By shirley_you_cant_be_sirius
      Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a while, thought I'd sign up and say hello. My name's Tom, I am serious but you can call me Shirley if you like.
      I've had a telescope (skywatcher 150 dob) for about 7 years, it saw some use before I went to university to study physics, but I left it at home. (Naively thought there wouldn't be a great deal to see from the city.) It hadn't seen much use since, until January this year when I took it out under a nearly full moon to show my then lass the Orion neb and the Andromeda galaxy. Since then I must've been making up lost time because I've been out in the garden almost every clear night, and I've found my collection of astro bits and bobs has been growing at an alarming rate.
      So I think it's about time I dropped by to say Hi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.