Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount protection on permanent pair

iapa

I hear a lot of people talking about having permanent piers with mount always set up.

Does every one have this in a shed with ROLOR roof, or some thing similar?

Or do people cover the mount and pier with something?

If so, what?.

I saw one solution in Sky at Night which was a plastic dustbin upended.

Like this one that has been in use for several years now:

Pier-Movie.gif

The green woven plastic garden furniture cover only lasted about one year and has been replaced with a "Premium" black plastic garden chair cover ( this one:  http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/premium-garden-furniture-stacking-chair-cover-306969  ).  This has lasted two years now with no sign of decay.  The whole thing is completely waterproof.  The mount is clean and in good working order - the motor control box lives under the cover too.

So, the pair itself if exposed to the elements 24/7/365?

No rust or cosmetic deterioration?I'd be reluctant to leave the tripod outside all time it's fairly weighty (CGEM-DX) but would be concerned about rust etc. 

I use two covers for mine, a thick/soft inner one for protection against abrasion, and a breathable water-proof outer one that keeps the rain off but which also allows air to circulate to prevent condensation. You really don't want a 100% impervious (plastic) cover because that will simply trap moisture underneath. My outer one is the Cygnus Astro Covers heavy-duty version, but you should note that these don't last forever - UV will destroy the weather protection eventually so changing for a new one at 2-3 year intervals recommended (ask me how I know this..). Also, the mount has been wiped over with a rag sprayed with ACF50, and all electronics treated with the same, that keeps all moisture out of connectors and prevents the pins corroding. I can't recommend ACF50 highly enough because it really does solve many of the connection problems people get and it totally blocks corrosion of metal. I renew treatment with ACF50 once per year (as we move into the Autumn).

ChrisH

5 minutes ago, iapa said:

@ChrisLX200

1. I have to ask then, how do you know?

2. how 'oily' is ACF50. Is it likely to run - I keep the mount and tripod on the lounge and would suffer extreme pain if this ran onto her new carpet.

You're only supposed to use a small amount of the stuff - it isn't paint :)  Spray it onto a rag and rub it onto the exposed metalwork, if it's dripping you have used way too much. It does leave a very thin film - like if you wipe your finger on a glass window and the oil from your skin leaves streaks. However, ACF50 is very tenacious stuff with properties which self-seal if the film is broken - it's very difficult to wipe off completely (so do NOT get it on your optics otherwise you'll be using a solvent like alcohol to get it off!). I use it a bit more freely on cable connectors - a quick squirt and it will creep into every nook and cranny then stay there.

ChrisH

56 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

You're only supposed to use a small amount of the stuff - it isn't paint :)  Spray it onto a rag and rub it onto the exposed metalwork, if it's dripping you have used way too much. It does leave a very thin film - like if you wipe your finger on a glass window and the oil from your skin leaves streaks. However, ACF50 is very tenacious stuff with properties which self-seal if the film is broken - it's very difficult to wipe off completely (so do NOT get it on your optics otherwise you'll be using a solvent like alcohol to get it off!). I use it a bit more freely on cable connectors - a quick squirt and it will creep into every nook and cranny then stay there.

ChrisH

Thanks Chris - great top tip.

I have had my CGEM DX plus telescope and camera (Atik 4000) outside under a Green Witch cover topped with a B&Q tarpaulin for three years now.

I use Puppy Pads to keep it all nicely warm. Controlled by a temperature aware switch.

Works a treat.

Cheers

Ian

I keep my mount (Tripod) in a semi-permanent placement in my backyard (Garden).

I have a waterproof canvas cover I put over the head, then a 32 gallon plastic trash can (dust bin).

Since I live in a drought condition, I rarely need to pull it in for a storm.

So far this open bottom covering has served me very well and keeps the mounts workings protected, yet ready to uncover so I can set my telescope on it and connect for the evenings fun. And it seriously cuts down the time to get things working. PA is constant. Wiring harnesses are ready to connect and go. I bring in my laptop and telescope assembly and cover the table end with a plastic storage bin, and the mount as described.

I laughingly refer to my trash bin as my High Tech Observatory Dome ($10 USD).

I do confess I got the idea from a pier mount in the USA Mid-West where the trash can dome was covered with snow.

PS: I don't tightly wrap my mount so that the moisture (if any) has a way to escape during the day. Tightly wrapped can drive condensation into the workings and electronics of the mount.

Archived