SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spectroscopy - Where should I start?

I run the Yahoo group fine on my  iPad (Safari) with no issues.  Have you made sure cookies are enabled? As William suggests, try Firefox or Chrome on your MAC.

Incidentally, how are you running the BASS app on your mac, emulation?

Sometimes web sites have temporary glitches, yesterday I couldn't create Dropbox links with Chrome, today it's fine.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/23/2016 at 09:21, Merlin66 said:

Chris,

I'm sure John and all the others who use BASS Project can assist you.

I can' t final any problems with the forum...is it your settings in internet which are affecting Yahoo access.. Do other Yahoo sites work OK?

I finally got the BASS Yahoo User group to work on my MAC using Firefox but it is positively GLACIAL.  I'll be honest I'm not sure I understand how to deal with the software download as I am not particularly proficient at matters PC (I hate them).  Is it as simple as downloading it to my daughter's PC and it will install.  It looks like I need v1.9.3?  Sorry for the mundane questions.  I take it, it won't run in Wineskin?

Well, thanks to all above particularly @Oddsocks and @Merlin66 I finally managed to get something captured, analysed and presented.  As usual the weather played its part but thankfully you don't need much clear sky for bright stars in this discipline of this hobby.  So in the early hours of this morning (4am) I picked a type A (A2v) star and captured some data.  I apologise in a advance for breaking any conventions. I am a bit tired now but will normalise the data file and try that output when I get chance.

Menkalinan CIR 8_10_16.jpg

Kit used: SCT 9.25", ZWO ASI174 MM, Staranalyser 100 + 10mm spacer.  Captured in @JamesF oaCapture on my macbook air and processed in RSpec (free trial).

On 25 September 2016 at 20:42, jnp said:

Hi Chris,

I'm the author of BASS Project. I haven't been on SGL for quite a while.  

What browser (& version) are you using. If you haven't already, try Chrome?

Not sure what links Ken provided. Let me know if you still need direct links to the documentation and software. The latest version is 1.9.4. Drop me a line, with more details on the issues, if you are still stuck. You can also try post to the group by sending your email to astrobodger@yahoogroups.co.uk

regards

John 

Hi John, now I have captured some data I will also try out the BASS software on my daughters old PC.  Is it quite simple to download it and it will install? I'm not really that up to speed with Windows. Macs are just so much more user friendly I find. Anyway, BASS gets such great press here on SGL I will give it a go.

On 13 October 2016 at 23:46, jnp said:

Hi Chris,

The instructions are in this PDF link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87095951/Spectro/BASS Project/0.0.1.0/0.0.1.9/1.9.4/BASS Project Installation Notes 1.9.4.pdf

in your case, download the 1.9.0 Msi file and run.  You then overwrite the executable with 1.9.4. 

Regards

John 

Hi John, just to report that everything worked fine first time. Thanks very much for the help.  The only downside is that I'm forced into using a dreaded PC.  I have had a go with the software and I am impressed.  I had a couple of goes at putting it into a Wine wrapper on my Mac but they didn't work.  I wish I could access the Yahoo user group but that continues to confound.  On the odd occasion that I have managed to get into it it has taken an age to load (15 minutes) and when I'm in it is just glacial. 

On 19/10/2016 at 19:37, Owmuchonomy said:

On the odd occasion that I have managed to get into it it has taken an age to load (15 minutes) and when I'm in it is just glacial. 

Hi Chris,

Just a silly thought but when was the last time you rebooted the modem/router?

If you are on BT (or using a BT line) they change the DNS server address quite frequently and if your router is still using an old DNS server address you end up being redirected over several servers to get to the Yahoo source. A reboot of the modem/router will update the latest DNS server address automatically for your internet connection, clear out any blocked or redirected ports and may speed up your access to many sites besides the Yahoo user group.

I have my own VDSL2 router (Billion BiPac 8800AXL) for a Plusnet fast fibre connection on a BT line and that is programmed to automatically reboot every seven days at 6am, prior to setting up the auto reboot I would often find individual websites that would mysteriously become slow, unavailable or show out of date information (I stopped using the supplied BT modem after it became so hot it was discolouring the wallpaper above it and bought the Billion to replace it).

Not a silly point at all. However I have a new BT Infinity router this week so I am bang up to date.  It must be Mac related but it's the only thing that performs poorly.

im very pleased with the BASS software. It really is nice to use. I am looking at getting a tilt adjuster, a grism and an extension tube to improve dispersion next.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived