Setting Up Binoculars

I recently bought a pair of Celestron Cometron 7x50 binoculars and was just wondering if anyone had any tips on setting them up? I've tried to follow the instructions, but it seems that things are still a bit blurry and look as if I'm seeing double.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DV6SI3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The two main things to get right are the interpupil distance and the dioptre adjustment.

The first is easy enough, just view normally through the binoculars and then adjust the distance between the eyepieces until it matches your eyes and you see a full image/exit pupil through each eye. Closing each eye in turn will tell you this.

The dioptre adjustment allows you to balance the focus between your eyes. There will be one eyepiece which adjusts separately, plus the central focus. The process is to close the eye which has the separate adjustment and focus the binoculars using the central focus. Then switch eyes (i.e. Close the open one and open the closed one!) and this time focus using the adjustment on the eyepiece, leave the central focus alone.

Opening both eyes should give you both sides in focus. If you are still seeing double images then it is likely the binoculars are faulty i.e. They have bad collimation and you need to return them for replacement or refund.

www.binocularsky.com is a great website for info on buying and using binoculars.

I thought you were supposed to adjust the diopter with both eyes open?

I used to do it with left eye shut but then the instructions on my new bino's said eyes open and it seems to work better that way.

If you wear glasses you may need to fold back the rubber eyecups to get close enough, or remove the glasses and focus without them if this is possible.

35 minutes ago, D4N said:

I thought you were supposed to adjust the diopter with both eyes open?

I used to do it with left eye shut but then the instructions on my new bino's said eyes open and it seems to work better that way.

If you wear glasses you may need to fold back the rubber eyecups to get close enough, or remove the glasses and focus without them if this is possible.

I don't see how you would judge that the separately adjusted channel was in focus if you keep both eyes open? How does that work?

I think the problem is your eyes compensate if they are used individually whereas keeping the other eye open should stop that and ensure both eyes are relaxed once focus is achieved.

Both ways work it just seems eyes open results in a more relaxed view.

1 minute ago, D4N said:

I think the problem is your eyes compensate if they are used individually whereas keeping the other eye open should stop that and ensure both eyes are relaxed once focus is achieved.

Thanks. Will give that a try sometime.

Hi guys, thanks for the help so far.

I think the barrel/body might actually be broken, however. If you can see in the 1st image, it's slightly lifted up -- which I tried to screw it back down by hand but it wouldn't budge

14324490_10154572123055152_607914593842271610_o.jpg

14379618_10154572122955152_2829606222604692291_o.jpg

1 minute ago, Thieves said:

Hi guys, thanks for the help so far.

I think the barrel/body might actually be broken, however. If you can see in the 1st image, it's slightly lifted up -- which I tried to screw it back down by hand but it wouldn't budge

14324490_10154572123055152_607914593842271610_o.jpg

14379618_10154572122955152_2829606222604692291_o.jpg

That would do it! Immediate return for replacement, don't try to sort it yourself.

1 minute ago, Thieves said:

Only problem is that I ordered it from the US amazon, and I'm from Australia.

Eeek! No idea whether you have any protection in that case. I guess you would have to pay return shipping anyway so probably not worth it?

I'll let others advise on whether to attempt a repair, or other suggestions as I'm really not certain what you should do.

@BinocularSky may be able to assist?

I think the only way it will be economical to pursue that is if there was insurance on the package.

It might be repairable though, you should be able to get the objective back into position with a little force.  There may be a retaining screw in there that will need removing first though.

Spoke to an Amazon customer service representative and they said they'd be sending me another pair for free (without having to send the damaged one back). What would be the best way to go about fixing the broken pair now that I don't need to worry about warranty and etc? Also, the part that is damaged, is that actually referred to as the 'barrel'?

That's tragic, most bins I have had apart for cleaning, the two main objectives just screw into the body, I have not come across a retaining screw, but best to search just in case. This one may have had a knock in transit, as I can hardly see it leaving the factory in that condition, but you never know.

These objectives have very fine threads on them, so it may be possible for you to move it. Don`t try to screw it up, but attempt to unscrew it. Use a pair of those rubber coated cotton kitchen gloves for a good grip. Also if you hold a hot cloth on the lens body for short time, it may expand enough for you to slacken it off.

However, none of this should be attempted, until you have reported this to Amazon, they could well send you a post paid return label for the return of the faulty goods :)

3 minutes ago, glowjet said:

That's tragic, most bins I have had apart for cleaning, the two main objectives just screw into the body, I have not come across a retaining screw, but best to search just in case. This one may have had a knock in transit, as I can hardly see it leaving the factory in that condition, but you never know.

These objectives have very fine threads on them, so it may be possible for you to move it. Don`t try to screw it up, but attempt to unscrew it. Use a pair of those rubber coated cotton kitchen gloves for a good grip. Also if you hold a hot cloth on the lens body for short time, it may expand enough for you to slacken it off.

However, none of this should be attempted, until you have reported this to Amazon, they could well send you a post paid return label for the return of the faulty goods :)

I already have spoken to them and another pair are on there way :)

5 minutes ago, Thieves said:

Spoke to an Amazon customer service representative and they said they'd be sending me another pair for free (without having to send the damaged one back). What would be the best way to go about fixing the broken pair now that I don't need to worry about warranty and etc? Also, the part that is damaged, is that actually referred to as the 'barrel'?

Glad you have got a result, I have found Amazon are excellent when it comes to Customer services. You can now have a go at trying to remove the objective lens barrel, or search for further advise. If you succeed you will end up with two pairs, so long as the prisms have not been dislodged if they have taken a knock, but even that is resolvable :)

On 16/09/2016 at 09:42, Stu said:

Eeek! No idea whether you have any protection in that case. I guess you would have to pay return shipping anyway so probably not worth it?

I'll let others advise on whether to attempt a repair, or other suggestions as I'm really not certain what you should do.

@BinocularSky may be able to assist?

Not a lot, I'm afraid. The objective barrel is dislodged. On the basis that you have a replacement coming and an unusable binocular, you might as well try to fix it. There are no retaining screws securing the barrels on those binoculars, so don't waste time looking for them. What is making it difficult to rotate is the fact that you will have the mother and father of all cross-threadings - if you do manage to rotate it in its current state, you will convert that to the mother and father of all stripped threads! Instead, try to force the barrel straight - you'll probably still crack/break/strip something, but probably (for unknown values of "probably") not as badly. Once its straight, it ought to rotate more easily, but probably with a nasty grinding noise and, once you remove it, binocular crumbs will probably fall out.

You'll then need to screw it back in as best you can, then recoillimate it- head over to Discussions>Binoculars and search on "collimation" - if you need help, give me a shout, either in there or by PM. However, you need to be prepared for the possibility that it is irreparable - but useful as spare parts/lenses/prisms/making a finderscope, etc.

HTH

(@Stu, any chance you could move this thread to Discussions>Binoculars? -- there may be some good and creative ideas from folk there - e.g. Peter Drew has an enormous amount of experience and is exceptionally knowledgeable about these things.)

On 16/09/2016 at 08:16, D4N said:

Best of both worlds: Cap right objective (with your hand, if the lens cap is not nearby), focus left side with centre focus. Cap left objective, focus right eye with dioptre adjustment. HTH.

Archived