SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL at the South West Astro Fair!

We have pleasure in announcing that Stargazers' Lounge have a stand at the prestigous South West Astronomy Fair 2008.

Darren (Daz) and Andrew (mini Daz) will be manning the stand. New members will be encouraged to join there and then. The forum will also be live on one (possible more) laptop.

Details of the Fair can be found here, http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/nlo/MainFrame~EN.php.

It is held on Saturday 9th August 2008, from 9am to 6pm.

The Norman Lockyer Observatory

Salcombe Hill,

Sidmouth,

Devon

For maps on how to get to the Observatory click here http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/nlo/Visiting___Find_us~EN.php

Other exhibitors include

Bath Travel - Wendy Wu Tours

British Astronomical Association

First Light Optics

Nik Szymanek

Sidmouth Museum

Society for Popular Astronomy

Space Rocks

University of Central Lancashire

Sir Patrick Moore

There are also lectures from Tim Naylor (Star Formation), Nik Szymanek(Kinetic Skies - Adventures of a travelling Astrophotographer), Chris Lintott(Bang! Known knowns and known unknowns in Cosmology ) and Allan Chapman (Sir Norman Lockyer and the English Grand Amateur Astronomer). These lectures should be very interesting indeed!

It would be great for as many SGL'ers as possible to pay a visit and come see Daz and of course Steve at FLO.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be some calenders to be given away and some observing handouts. A couple of PC's to browse and join SGL, and a few scopes for people to look at.

It's mainly a "raise awareness of SGL" type of day.

Ant

I visited Beer for the miniature railway and model railway shop last September, and Seaton for the tramway :oops:

I got fed up with the weather and wanted to do something that was independent of it.

--

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that you can just turn up and pay the appropriate amount for whichever lectures you wish to attend.

It'll be great to see you again Helen, along with Jean and her welsh cakes :D

Great Steve! Tomorrow is cake making day :D

How long does it take to get there from Exeter?

The AA says it'll take 3.5 hours from me, but that sounds much too long!! - but I want to make sure I'm there for Nik at 12!

thanks

Helen

Please pray that the weathers good as I'm on car park duty from 7AM.

The car parking arrangements are different from last year,(health and safety). We are using a field thats up the road this time, 4min walk (I timed it). You will be able to drop off passengers on site 1st if you wish and there will be disabled parking on site.

Hope to see you on Saturday

Martin

Jim

Nice picture of my rear end in one of the photos. Managed to spend a few hours looking around and it was a shame the weather was so horrendous.

Our sat-nav sent us on a bit of a detour and I think we went through Victorian London on the way there!

Met quite a few of the SGL folk as well as Steve from FLO and Robin Scagell from the SPA. Cast an envious gaze on the TMB 152 on display. On a better day, I might have been able to get it off the mount, into the car and away (only joking). Not sure about the fairy lights on the OTA. I think I might have left those.

It was also my birthday so a very pleasant way to spend part of it. If it's any consolation, we moved on to Brixham to meet some relatons for an hour or two and the weather was awful there as well.

God bless the British Summer. Hope to be there next year under blue skies.

Geoff

Archived