SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece Survey Results - at last!

philsail1

Eyepiece Survey Results - at last! (Had to photograph each page).

If anyone wants to give what is their favourite eyepiece that they use with a particular scope, then please "PM" me with the info, and I'll add it to the Survey. (Don't forget to use the codes with your eyepiece info).

Regards,

philsail1

7168_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7169_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7170_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi Phil

Thanks for taking the time to compile the list, it's interesting to note the type of eye piece being used with a particular scope. You have collected a good mix Phil with some premium eye pieces too.

I've just bought a Skymax 127 after a very long debate (150 F8 Refractor Vs Skymax 127) and early tests are looking good. Which leads me on nicely to the purchase of an eye piece which could become another very long debate for planatary viewing (mainly the Moon).

As you know Phil it's a mine field out there, I don't think I've put so much thought into a hobby before!.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for your kind comments Paul. It's the efforts of those who contributed which made it possible. I'm sure you will be more than pleased with your "skymax" 127. (It is the Skywatcher version isn't it?). I have the 90mm version and it is a cracking little scope. You should get some memorable views through yours - when we get some clear nights!!

If you buy some more eyepieces at a later date (or if you already have one or two) and find one (or two) that provide really good views through your scope, I would be grateful for the information to put on the survey.

Best wishes,

Phil

(philsail1)

Well done Phil :shocked:

An interesting and usefull contribution to the seemingly endless debates we have on "what eyepiece should I get ....".

I've just bought a Skymax 127 after a very long debate (150 F8 Refractor Vs Skymax 127) and early tests are looking good. Which leads me on nicely to the purchase of an eye piece which could become another very long debate for planatary viewing (mainly the Moon).

As you know Phil it's a mine field out there, I don't think I've put so much thought into a hobby before!.

Paul - with an F/12 scope it's not quite such a mine field - most eyepiece designs will work quite nicely in longer FL scopes :lol:

John

Paul - with an F/12 scope it's not quite such a mine field - most eyepiece designs will work quite nicely in longer FL scopes :shocked:

John

John

I understand that a slow scope is not so demanding on eye piece design.

It's just finding the right characteristics Vs price together in one eye piece and the TS Planatary that you have recommended looks good.

Subject to a second hand bargain, it would be nice to try an Ortho just to compare.

Then again if my poor old tired eyes can't appreciate the difference then I'm sticking to bog standard eye piece's.

Time will tell.

Paul

Thanks for your comments "PaulG"

Re your Skymax 127 (f12). Well on my 90mm Mak (Focal length 1250mm -f13.88), I've recently tried a Celestron 18mm Orthoscopic (giving 69x magnification), which gives very good results. Reasonable wide field, Very clear and crisp view and good eye relief. Also tried the TAL 25mm Plossl and a Meade 26mm Plossl. These both give excellent wide field views, with a clear and crisp image (50x and 48x respectively). All the above eyepieces give good results when barlowed with a 2x Celestron Ultima. I've also tried a 10mm Celestron Otrhoscopic. This gives good crisp views at 125x, but the field of view is narrow, and it does not barlow well on my 90mm scope. I would think your 127 should cope with barlowing a 10mm eyepiece. Finally I have tried a 6.3mm orthoscopic (giving 198x). This is beyond the limit of my 90mm, and the field of view and eye relief is poor. I don't know what a 6.3 would do with your scope.

If you ever fancy trying any of these eyepieces (before you buy) just let me know and I'll loan you them for a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

philsail1

P.S. I'll place the positive eyepiece info on the survey this week end!

Hi Phil

I'm going to be testing the 127 and I feel the sweet spot for this scope may be around 190x.

With a full Moon recently and not been able to pull any detail or contrast my cheap 6.3 was not good, it was just a wash out. Even the 10mm was poor, so I can't wait for a new moon so I can view the terminator in detail and compare my two scopes side by side.

I went for the 127 to take advantage of the 1500mm focal length which is also good for prime focus photography with my Nikon D70 attached as the Moon fills the frame nicely.

Thanks for the offer Phil, if I do take up your offer you know I will look after your kit with respect.

Cheers

Paul

Archived