oacapture - difficulties installing raspberry pi

thedwo

Hi

I am a complete beginner with linux/raspbian and am trying to install oacapture on my raspi. I have both raspian and ubuntu mate versions.

oacature has been downloaded and extracted, which gives me  a folder containing four items – Bin folder, Lib folder and udev folder plus install-binaries.sh and readme.txt. I realise the install-binaries is an exectable file, but when I double click on it and then click ‘execute’ nothing seems to happen. The same thing results from clicking the oacapture file in the bin folder.

I would very much appreciate some guidance as to how to proceed. I have various cameras, ZWO ASI120MM, QHY5, DMK21AU04 and am looking to create an all-sky camera to mount on my observatory.

Thanks in anticipation

Frank

If you open terminal and cd to the oacapture directory you unpacked and do

./install-binaries.sh

It should then install the binaries.

That will only work on Raspbian though, if you are using Ubuntu mate then you will need to download the sources and build with:

./configure

make

make install

Dont expect that to work right away though, I had to faff around quite a bit to get it working on Ubuntu mate.

In Linux you will find that you need to work in terminal if you want to know what's going on, it will give error messages if things go wrong and you also have the option to persuade it to do things it doesn't want to with sudo ;)

You might want to try Planetary Imager as well, there is a pre built version for Ubuntu mate.

Download link

The other thing you can do is install indi then control the camera from another computer.

Hi Both

Thanks for your replies. I would like to say they were very helpful ;-)) but am not yet sufficiently forward to tell.

On oacapture, - (in Ubuntu Mate) I got it as far as telling me that 'Install complete' It also made a comment: 'For QHY Cameras, remember to add yourself to 'users' group and login again.

However, whist it may have installed, I can find not trace of it on the pi. How does one get to open the app? and when open will the 'users group' be findable?

On Planetary Imager, things were not so good. All seemed OK as I ran through the steps, but at the end a wheel came off and I had a long error message. I am copying this below:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:12 (find_package):

By not providing "FindQt5Widgets.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project

has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by

"Qt5Widgets", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Widgets" with

any of the following names:

Qt5WidgetsConfig.cmake

qt5widgets-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Widgets" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set

"Qt5Widgets_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If

"Qt5Widgets" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has

been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

See also "/home/frank/PlanetaryImager/CmakeFiles/CmakeOutput.log".

Perhaps this will guide you to be able to guide me. At least I hope so.

Many thanks again for taking the time to assist a newbie to pi and command line stuff.

Cheers

Frank

Ok for planetary imager follow the instructions on how to use development snapshots on this web page:

http://blog.gulinux.net/en/planetary-imager

If your username is pi to add yourself to users type this in terminal:

usermod -a -G users pi

If your username is something other than pi then type that instead.  You need to log off and back on again for t to work.

It sound like oacapture installed ok, you should just need to run the executable, you could just search for it, I can't remember where it goes off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, D4N said:

It sound like oacapture installed ok, you should just need to run the executable, you could just search for it, I can't remember where it goes off the top of my head.

It would be odd that pi user isn't in users group. Don't do anything you shouldn't do.

What you should do is read the readme file:

In Mint/Ubuntu, the following should be sufficient for the binaries:

$ sudo apt-get install libqtcore4 libqtgui4 libv4l-0 libv4lconvert0 \
    fxload libcfitsio3

To install the binaries just run install-binaries.sh as root:

$ sudo ./install-binaries.sh

The binaries will be installed in /usr/local/openastro and a symlink to
oacapture created in /usr/local/bin

For PlanetaryImager compilation and requirements are given on https://github.com/GuLinux/PlanetaryImager but there is also Ubuntu Raspberry Pi binary package on http://blog.gulinux.net/en/planetary-imager

Thanks again for the response, not that I am any farther forward.

My system could not locate the file libcfitsio3, unfortunately. 

I went to the oacapture file in /usr/local/openastro and found the oacapture icon but nothing I tried resulted in a response from this file. Obviously there is some process I am not aware of to get it running - I am too used to the double click of windows ;-((

Regarding Planetary Imager, I deleted what I had done before and repeated the exercise, and got the same error message as I posted earlier. So I have taken the step of sending a copy of the full error script to Marco Gulino at GuLinux $Home. If I get a response which works, I'll post it here.

Am not doing very well at this pi business so far.

Frank

You are hitting the same problem as others have with the Indi Atik driver on Ubuntu. Namely that Debian has decided that libcfitsio3 should be called libcfitsio2. The best solution seems to be so add a symlink like:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.2.3.37 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.3

Hi @thedwo, I tried replying to your email, but apparently you mistaped your email address in the contact form.

I am at work now, so I'll be able to help you a bit more this evening probably.

Anyways, Planetary Imager is still in early stages, but it's mature enough for daily imaging, so I hope it will be good enough for you!
Basically, you need to do what the error message is asking you to do : install the Qt development files (and all other dependencies), particularly headers. 

sudo apt-get install -y libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev qtbase5-dev build-essential cmake libopencv-dev libqcustomplot-dev libboost-all-dev. 

But if you wanna skip some time, it's much better to use a development prebuilt snapshot from here: http://blog.gulinux.net/en/planetary-imager#development . Usually, newest is better. They are a bit outdated right now, but I'm gonna publish a new version as soon as I can (today, I hope, I will email you), as well as a new stable release.

To install the development snapshot, first you need to install the dependencies, and to be sure you install them all just run the "sudo apt-get install" line I pasted you above.

Then, download and extract the snapshot in your root directory:

tar xjf PlanetaryImager-xxx.tar.bz2

cd PlanetaryImager-xxx # (the extracted directory)

sudo cp -av * /

And run planetary_imager from a console, or from your start menu.

I hope this is enough, please let me know.

Hi

I entered the scripts that you listed but I still got a long error list.  Am copying the full transcript below. Unfortunately, whilst the statements may be clear to an experienced Ubuntu hand, I am very much unsure of it.

I'll await comments. - Frank

frank@frank-desktop:~$ git clone https://github.com/GuLinux/PlanetaryImager.git

fatal: destination path 'PlanetaryImager' already exists and is not an empty directory.

frank@frank-desktop:~$ git clone https://github.com/GuLinux/PlanetaryImager.git

Cloning into 'PlanetaryImager'...

remote: Counting objects: 3570, done.

remote: Compressing objects: 100% (177/177), done.

remote: Total 3570 (delta 103), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 3393

Receiving objects: 100% (3570/3570), 12.31 MiB | 4.36 MiB/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (2634/2634), done.

Checking connectivity... done.

Checking out files: 100% (263/263), done.

frank@frank-desktop:~$ cd PlanetaryImager

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$ ./scripts/init_repository

Submodule 'GuLinux-Commons' (https://github.com/GuLinux/GuLinux-Commons.git) registered for path 'GuLinux-Commons'

Submodule 'src/drivers/qhy/QHYCCD_Linux' (https://github.com/qhyccd-lzr/QHYCCD_Linux.git) registered for path 'src/drivers/qhy/QHYCCD_Linux'

Cloning into 'GuLinux-Commons'...

remote: Counting objects: 1262, done.

remote: Total 1262 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 1262

Receiving objects: 100% (1262/1262), 206.47 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (732/732), done.

Submodule path 'GuLinux-Commons': checked out 'b8ba2c6cfb79f150b68291b053f4a059a4fbc63e'

Cloning into 'src/drivers/qhy/QHYCCD_Linux'...

remote: Counting objects: 1086, done.

remote: Total 1086 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 1086

Receiving objects: 100% (1086/1086), 52.72 MiB | 4.25 MiB/s, done.

Resolving deltas: 100% (579/579), done.

Submodule path 'src/drivers/qhy/QHYCCD_Linux': checked out '7b6ed70b688df02a993ffd6b5fc6c09e109dffeb'

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$ mkdir build

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0

-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0

-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc

-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works

-- Detecting C compiler ABI info

-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done

-- Detecting C compile features

-- Detecting C compile features - done

-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++

-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works

-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info

-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done

-- Detecting CXX compile features

-- Detecting CXX compile features - done

-- Boost version: 1.58.0

-- Found QCustomPlot: /usr/include

-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.1")

-- Checking for module 'libusb-1.0'

-- Found libusb-1.0, version 1.0.20

Detected architecture: armv7

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:52 (add_subdirectory):

add_subdirectory given source "GuLinux-Commons/Qt" which is not an existing

directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:54 (add_subdirectory):

add_subdirectory given source "src" which is not an existing directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:55 (add_subdirectory):

add_subdirectory given source "tests" which is not an existing directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:56 (add_subdirectory):

add_subdirectory given source "files" which is not an existing directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:57 (add_subdirectory):

add_subdirectory given source "support" which is not an existing directory.

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/CPack.cmake:423 (message):

CPack package description file: "/home/frank/README.md" could not be found.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

/usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/CPack.cmake:427 (cpack_check_file_exists)

CMakeLists.txt:83 (INCLUDE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

See also "/home/frank/PlanetaryImager/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$ make ll&& sudo make install

make: *** No rule to make target 'll'. Stop.

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$ make all && make install

make: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.

frank@frank-desktop:~/PlanetaryImager$

@thedwo there was a "cd build" missing between  "mkdir build" and "cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr".

I also fixed it in the readme.

Additionally, if you already cloned the project, you don't need to clone it again with git.

Anyway, might I know why do you insist on using the source compilation? Getting the prebuilt binaries would be so much simpler... :)

Hi

OK thanks for that. I'll check the readme.

I am not really insisting on using the source compilation - it is just because I am not at all familiar with Ubuntu/Linux, I tend to just follow what is written down. How do I get the prebuilt binaries - and when I have got them, what steps are required? I am afraid even though I have many years !! I need treating like a child ;-))

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I desperately tried getting oaCapture running on Raspberry pi3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04. I downloaded oaCaputure 0.8 versions (executable and source).

- libcfitsio3 is flagged as missing, when applying the sudo apt-get (...) fx load libcfitsio3 as suggested in the reader file. Though it is there, in the right folder, I believe.

btw: installing the binaries worked, I can see the icon, but cannot activate

could someone kindly advise which oaCapture files should I download (versions etc) and which libraries? I checked all readme's, but struggle a bit, I am not really an expert.

Many thanks,

Helge

Archived