SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Powerpack project

mbalkham

Having a crack at my first astro DIY project and thought I'd share. I'm currently working on a battery pack upgrade. Going with a 40Ah deep cycle gel battery and 2x cigarette sockets and 2x USB ports plus voltage meter. If anyone wants the sketch-up files I'm happy to send them on.

Progress photos to follow!

Battery project.jpg

Battery project 2.jpg

Battery project3.jpg

Here it is so far. Just added a 'dark site' switch to kill the LEDs. But yet to add that switch to the front panel. Also need a general cable tidy and might box them in yet. Might have gone a little OTT on screws!

Just need a clear night to try it in anger! I'd welcome any thoughts/ideas for improvement.

1473755175458-1995273733.jpg

1473755242242834434374.jpg

1473755529120-1255598483.jpg

Carpet might look a little weird. Small legs to keep it off the ground by half an inch or so is a good idea. Going to wrap my dew shield on one of my scopes in some sticky back carbon fibre covering, so perhaps something like that to cover it to give it a sleek look perhaps, after filling in and levelling any screw holes of course. :) 

Fuses!   I didn't see anything in your setup about having any fuses.  Might be worth adding a fuse panel, just in case something connected to it shorts out.  Rather replace a cheap fuse (blade fuses work well) than have to rebuild the project due to fire from the battery.

Thanks all. Feet and fuses def the next step!

Alkaid total cost prob ~$750NZD but i didn't really shop around for the components (just went to the auto store and bought them) and the biggest costs were the 12V 40AH battery $289 and 9 stage 7A charger $239. I also bought everything including a crimping tool, spade connectors, all the cable, switches and reel of solder much of which many people might already have lying around.  

That looks fab, great job! My only comment would be to replace the cigarette sockets with XLRs - I only say this because I've had a couple of the former fail in the field :angry2:

Hope you don't mind the suggestion - that looks like a really solid build! :icon_salut:

Cheers

Rich

12v sockets are ok, the marine style ones are better than the car ones.  The marine ones have locking pins.  But there's nothing stopping an XLR socket being added in addition to the others.  This could then be used to supply the scope as a dedicated port - no mixing it up in the dark.

I have done the same thing but used a b&q tool box and have 4x 2.1mm female plugs at the back with usb and cigarette shocket on the top. I used a 120ah 12v battery we also use it when the family go camping. It is charged by solar panel.

20160702_130436.jpg

20160702_130529.jpg

Archived