Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 102 and AZ4 mount

Really hope someone can help me.  Briefly, I decided to ditch my EQ1 mount in favour of the SW AZ4.  First problem encountered was I didn't realise I needed a dovetail mount to join scope to mount. Sought advice from FLO who suggested I needed a medium mount which I bought. I am really struggling to see how this was the correct recommendation. It seems to me to be too big.  FLO appears to be sticking to its original recommendation. As you can see from the attached it's clearly too big.  Can anyone help? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Before you use your AZ-4 at higher powers, better remove the military silicone grease, and replace it with a "civilian" lube. I re-lubed mine with simple 15w-40 engine oil, and it became smoother, with less stickiness. I only assume this, but it seems Sky-Watcher puts military glue-like grease for several reasons:

- does not seep out, so the gear is lubed for ever without requiring customer intervention, it only requires customer annoyance

- does not freeze when you take your gear to the South Pole, so Sky-Watcher receives no complaints about binding, only about stickiness

- does not evaporate when you take it to the Death Valley, so Sky-Watcher is immune from complaints about dry bearings, and has to deal with complaints about stiction only

Others have used moly lube or whatever kind of lubricant that does not stick like glue, and does not slow the motion. When I receive a new mount, I wear it in by making a couple dozen turns in each direction, with each axis, every day for a couple weeks. After the moving parts have planed each other a bit, I put fresh lube, and the effect is even better.

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Before you use your AZ-4 at higher powers, better remove the military silicone grease, and replace it with a "civilian" lube. I re-lubed mine with simple 15w-40 engine oil, and it became smoother, with less stickiness. I only assume this, but it seems Sky-Watcher puts military glue-like grease for several reasons:

- does not seep out, so the gear is lubed for ever without requiring customer intervention, it only requires customer annoyance

- does not freeze when you take your gear to the South Pole, so Sky-Watcher receives no complaints about binding, only about stickiness

- does not evaporate when you take it to the Death Valley, so Sky-Watcher is immune from complaints about dry bearings, and has to deal with complaints about stiction only

Others have used moly lube or whatever kind of lubricant that does not stick like glue, and does not slow the motion. When I receive a new mount, I wear it in by making a couple dozen turns in each direction, with each axis, every day for a couple weeks. After the moving parts have planed each other a bit, I put fresh lube, and the effect is even better.

Perhaps just let the OP enjoy his new purchase before encouraging the need for adjustments/mods etc?

Archived