Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Jim Smith

One Second Exposures Hyperstar/Ultrastar

The C6 Hyperstar/Ultrastar/StarLight Live  combo is proving to be very good for enjoyably cruising around the sky just taking in the sights. I set the exposure to 1 second, no stacking, tweak the contrast and dark level to get a pleasing image, and gude the scope from object to object using SkySafari. A video would show the experience better. Perhaps I can capture a screen video using some Mac utility? For now, here are a couple of one second stills from last night...The Coathanger and Herschel's Garnet Star.

Coathanger_2016.9.11_21.01.08.jpg

Garnet_2016.9.11_21.12.46.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Jim

I use a similar method with my Lodestar-C and F3.3 reducer - 500ms or 1s exposures to frame the object, no stacking and stretched until I can see the object.

You can see my work flow in this speeded up video:

Blatantly plugging my video :)

Have a look at Open Broadcast Software (Studio) - I use it for streaming and for stream capture, works on OSx and Windows:

https://obsproject.com/

Great results with the Hyperstar!

CS

Paul

• Like 5

Hi Jim

That sounds like a perfect evening! You're getting good star shapes and colours; this must come quite close to the eyepiece experience. I'm a big fan of EAA-based star-hopping too, usually when hunting down objects, but my 1 second 'finder' exposures don't provide nearly as much detail as your Hyperstar setup.

That C6/Hyperstar combination must be quite light I imagine? Airline portable even? I wonder if it is too much for a Star Adventurer mount.

Martin

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DoctorD said:

You can see my work flow in this speeded up video:

Interesting video. It's useful for me to see what settings you are using. One thing I thought I noticed in the video was that in order to eliminate a roughly circular, light aura or glow that surrounds the object centred in the screen, the blaclk level slider has to be moved further right into the curve, perhaps losing a little detail. The aura/glow can be seen in the attached images. I've only noticed it on longer. stacked exposures. Do you know what causes it?

m101.jpg

M51.jpg

12 hours ago, Martin Meredith said:

That C6/Hyperstar combination must be quite light I imagine? Airline portable even? I wonder if it is too much for a Star Adventurer mount.

The hyperstar detaches from the scope easily enough so if a standard C6 OTA is airline portable you should be fine. From what I read,  the total weight of the assembly is probably a bit over 5kg. So theoretically, that's about on the limit for the Star Adventurer.

Jim

• Like 1

That setup is producing some really nice results Jim, the stars and star colours are great. Have you tried any open clusters? I reckon they would look very nice with that setup. Do you have dark skies where you are?

• Like 1

Hi Jim

I think what you are describing is caused by vignetting - although I'd have thought that you should not see this  with the Hyperstar and Ultrastar CCD?

I've noticed it when I try stretch the image to the limit with my F3.3 reducer.

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Have you tried any open clusters? I reckon they would look very nice with that setup. Do you have dark skies where you are?

Hi Rob,

I will take some shots of an open cluster or two next time out. I'm on the Welsh Borders and skies are pretty dark. However the four images above in this thread were taken with a gibbous moon, so stray light doesn't seem to affect the performance of the system too much...unless that's the cause of the above mentioned aura/glow!

Jim

• Like 1

Excellent result for 1s! Shrink all that down to the size of an eyepiece-like viewing tube (as Nytecam suggested some time ago) and you're on to a winner ;-)

It would be really interesting to see the same cluster with a series of exposures to see what is being lost with these short exposures.

Looking forward to seeing more with this combo.

Martin

• Like 1