Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2016 A8 (Linear)

Just wondering if anyone's had any luck finding this comet. I've tried over the past three nights without success, not helped by the moon and thin cloud but conditions were good enough I thought. According to http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ it is mag 11, and should be within the range of smaller telescopes. I can sometimes persuade myself that something faint and fuzzy is there, but can't be sure as I'm looking across the Milky Way so that could just be faint stars.

Thanks for the heads up, it seems like I may have a couple of chances these coming nights. Here's my estimated position for those having goto mounts:

around 23 O'clock CET:

12/9, 19h57m, 17°10';

13/9, 19h53m, 15°50';

14/9, 19h48m, 14°30'.

Thanks for taking a shot at it. It's only in the last few days that my skies have cleared, maybe I'd have had more luck at the start of the month when the comet was brighter and there was no moon. As you say with every passing day now it gets dimmer and the moon gets brighter.

Got it!

Sky was a bit too bright at 10:30 (SQM 18.3), better when the Moon was lower or set, SQM 18.8 at 11:30 and 19.0 at 1:40. transparency above average (because of no dew?).

Here's a sketch(actually my first sketch) what I saw in C8:

C_2016_A8(Linear).jpg

My estimated postion was about 0.1° off. the dim star in lower middle was mistakenly suspected at first, but quickly dismissed since it became a point star in DV when up in 240x. 120x to 180x could see the comet in AV about 80% of the time. It was totally invisible around 240x. The position change during the time was quite obvious.

Archived