Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6744 in Pavo

Sprial Galaxy NGC 6744 in Pavo compressed.jpg

NGC 6744 is a Milky Way like barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Pavo. Visible only from lower latitudes, the light we see now left this galaxy around 30 million years ago.

Details:

Spiral Galaxy NGC 6744 in Pavo.
Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian telescope.
Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.
Orion 80mm f5 guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.
Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, no filter.
Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
ISO800, 14bit NEF, Long Exp. NR on.
44 x 120sec 4th Sept 2016

Processed in PixInsight and finished off in Photoshop.

Links:
https://500px.com/MikeODay
http://photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Edited by mike005
  • Like 8

Excellent image. Well done! :) 

That's an excellent image. Nothing I can see from my location.

Thanks for posting

3 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Excellent image. Well done! :) 

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

That's an excellent image. Nothing I can see from my location.

Thanks for posting

1 hour ago, andyo said:

Great shot

Thanks guys for your kind words.

cheers

Mike

6 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Like triangulum...only prettier and more pleasing! Lovely image...

6 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nicely done, perfect example of processing the data and its intensity without pushing to find more.  Paddy 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yes, that's very nice indeed. Blue Mountains? Not only a fantastic place but obviously a top place for AP. Jealousy becomes me. :hmh:

On 11 September 2016 at 08:00, Dbswales said:

Yes, that's very nice indeed. Blue Mountains? Not only a fantastic place but obviously a top place for AP. Jealousy becomes me.=:hmh:

The Blue part is true - as I understand it oil from the eucalyptus trees evaporates and causes a blue haze.  As for mountains, well I suppose so; they only reach 1100m or so near Sydney but rise so gradually and are flat on top that you ony know you are reasonably high when you look down off an escarpment.  I'm reasonably close to Sydney so only around 2/3 of that maximum height.  Great to be up above the smog and dust of the Sydney plains though and while not really dark, I can at least make out the Milky way if I doh't look too low down towards Sydney,

On 11 September 2016 at 08:18, laudropb said:

Very nice image.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.