Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

SDB777

8th September 2016 25 panel Mosaic

This is about as good as I'll be able to get with this Barlow lens and the humidity/heat that we are having in the central part of Arkansas.  I'll be getting ahold of a much higher quality Barlow at some point before the end of the year, probably a 3x or maybe even the 5x(not sure about the 5x on such a small refractor though, and the folks I've been asking apparently want to keep this a secret).....I digress.  If you have suggestions on a 1.25" Barlow in either 3x or 5x....please let me know!

29569758205_31a5d05f49_o.jpg

This is the full sized image-should be able to click and go full screen(I think).

Stuff?
Easy....from the ground up!

Battery pack and power source for laptop and mount.
Mount is still my iOptron ZEQ25GT
Optic is the Orion ED80(standard, not the triplet or carbon)
Celestron 2x Barlow with the red filter
Camera is the Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS(monochrome)-having to focus through the diagonal to get enough 'travel'(sure that doesn't help the quality)

No polar alignment was done, the Moon....well, it's the Moon.  I set-up really close to where the normal alignment is, and called it good.  After all, the sun was still up.....and the mosquitos were already feeding on me!

Shot twenty-five - 1,000 frame, uncompressed, Y800 videos.
Stacked those 25 videos as a 'batch stack' in AS!2.
Cropped all the 'funny stuff' off in LR2015, and then selected all 25 'photos' to be merged in PS2015.
Completed mosaic was then processed using NikCollection tools and some 'tweaks' in LR2015, border added in Picsas3.

Scott (got the "X" too) B

• Like 4

I don't have a suggestion on barlow having only used 2 + 2.5x on lunar thus far but that's a cracker of an image.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 15:34, spaceboy said:

One of the best I have seen in a while. Great effort !

Thanks!

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:52, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Superb mosaic!

I'm hoping to do better, the stacking part went a little 'off'....

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 03:21, resonator77 said:

very nice indeed.

What scope sis you use?

Do you find red filter works better than IR pass?

Orion ED80

Not sure, as I do not own a IR pass...

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 09:48, johnfosteruk said:

I don't have a suggestion on barlow having only used 2 + 2.5x on lunar thus far but that's a cracker of an image.

How does the 2 + 2.5x work?

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, I think I can get something better happening later in the year when the heat/humidity go away.  I hope?!?!?!

Scott (practicing, always practicing) B

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SDB777 said:

How does the 2 + 2.5x work?

Sorry, I meant I've used a 2, and I've used a 2.5, separately. However you've given me ideas. I don't think my OTA will focus/resolve at that magnification but I'll report back when I get the opportunity.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.