SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Occultation of Neptune Sep 15.

Ouroboros

That sounds like a tough one to me.  The Eastern limb will have a thin crescent of darkness since it is still waxing gibbous on the 15th before being full on the 16th.  Depending on how much time you have watch it before and after, if possible!

I'd pin down exact position of Neptune on nights beforehand to save frustration.

Clear-good seeing skies!

9 hours ago, Special K said:

That sounds like a tough one to me.  The Eastern limb will have a thin crescent of darkness since it is still waxing gibbous on the 15th before being full on the 16th.  Depending on how much time you have watch it before and after, if possible!

I'd pin down exact position of Neptune on nights beforehand to save frustration.

Clear-good seeing skies!

That's a good idea - not least to make sure that Neptune is visible at that low (~8°) elevation above the horizon.   I think I might have to find a viewing  location away from home as there's a tree in the way. 

The AN write-up describes this as "an almost impossible visual challenge" because of the disparity in brightnesses and the low altitude. It suggests the only "sane" way to record the event will be with "a planetary imaging camera set to seriously overexpose the lunar limb at emersion".

It further suggests that "if you like a tough challenge, you could see how long after Neptune emerges you manage to detect it". Now, there's a thought.

I just spent half an hour or so re-familiarising  myself with Neptune's position in Aquarius. It ain't easy, despite the Moon being way over in the west just now.  The planet was just about visible through my bins admittedly through somewhat hazy skies. It is going to be next to impossible to see this occultation I would have though. I'll still try though. 

Archived